Author Topic: Cubieboard2 stability  (Read 26239 times)

Offline Den1982

• View Profile
Cubieboard2 stability
« on: October 29, 2013, 12:45:17 pm »
Hi, all! There is a problem which about I wrote on Cubieez topic:
"But it is strange problem - after a few hours - dark screen and no reaction on keyboard and mouse. Looks like heating processor or something... I install on cubieez: JRE, Torvidalia, i2p and apps for i2p. Well cpu usage about 40-50%, memory usage about 30%.
I would like use cubie 24/7, but with this problem that impossible. :(
are there any ways to solve this? Thanks and sorry for my english ;)"
http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,528.msg5501.html#msg5501
I'm install and setup Cubian and... same trouble - it's darkscreen again! I assume it is hardware problem? is it really such a problem only for my cubie? :(

camelator

Re: Cubieboard2 stability
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 03:42:59 am »
Completely agree.
I am not a linux expert, but have some knowledge.
I just installed Cubian with mpd for an audio media player.
After few hours without doing anything, the cubieboard always stop.

Is there any chance to understand this issue?

Offline cubieplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 05:54:54 am »
Completely agree.
I am not a linux expert, but have some knowledge.
I just installed Cubian with mpd for an audio media player.
After few hours without doing anything, the cubieboard always stop.

Is there any chance to understand this issue?
Hi i guess it's related to power management, did you install xserver? or just plain cubian.
Cubian:http://cubian.org/ Cubian  Helpdesk:https://github.com/cubieplayer/Cubian/issues

camelator

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 02:24:58 pm »
only cubian with mpd
nothing else

Offline Gasz2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 08:00:27 am »
Use cpufreq-info and cpufreq-set to adjust CPU frequency. I am using my CB v2 as a MediaServer. SMB, MiniDLNA, SSH, BTSync, Apache, TVHeadEnd and some Mono apps.

I am using Cubian with patwood 3.4.61 kernel, CPU is configure to run at 1.01Ghz using the performance governor.

My Cubie stream IPTV, DTT and media files and also record television programs on a SATA disk.

The Cubie with this configuration and use is very very stable.

Regards, Gustavo.

camelator

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:57:03 am »
Hi Gas2,
thank you for your answer,
as of now, my cubieboard becomes very stable.
What player do you use to play media flles?

Kilrah

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 06:02:10 am »

Offline gedas07

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 03:07:34 pm »
Use cpufreq-info and cpufreq-set to adjust CPU frequency. I am using my CB v2 as a MediaServer. SMB, MiniDLNA, SSH, BTSync, Apache, TVHeadEnd and some Mono apps.

I am using Cubian with patwood 3.4.61 kernel, CPU is configure to run at 1.01Ghz using the performance governor.

My Cubie stream IPTV, DTT and media files and also record television programs on a SATA disk.

Regards, Gustavo.
How can i change in Cubieez , because when cubieboard are a long time in sleep doesn't respond to nothing
Thanks for help

berturion

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 01:10:27 am »

Regards, Gustavo.

Hello !
Thanks for the advise. Do you mean that you put min-freq and max-freq at 1.01 Ghz ? If not, Which min-freq did you choose please ? My min-freq, by default, accordingly to cpufreq-info was 300Mhz... I just set it to 528Mhz to see how it goes.
Thank you :-)

Offline vierax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 04:26:37 pm »
Hello !
Thanks for the advise. Do you mean that you put min-freq and max-freq at 1.01 Ghz ? If not, Which min-freq did you choose please ? My min-freq, by default, accordingly to cpufreq-info was 300Mhz... I just set it to 528Mhz to see how it goes.
Thank you :-)
Hi berturion

The stock min-freq (300Mhz) is very stable so you don't have to raise it. A highest min freq minimizes the power of conservative and ondemand governors when there is a low use of CPUs. It also increases average power consumption and heat especially if your board is often idle.

berturion

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 12:16:16 pm »
Hi berturion

The stock min-freq (300Mhz) is very stable so you don't have to raise it. A highest min freq minimizes the power of conservative and ondemand governors when there is a low use of CPUs. It also increases average power consumption and heat especially if your board is often idle.

Thanks for these information. I was on Cubian r3 with patwood's 3.4.67+ kernel and even after applying these settings (300MHz -> 1.01GHz, performance governor) I had the "cubieboard freezes after few hours" issue.

So I tried max cpufreq at 800MHz but id didn't change anything.

Then I decieded to try another distro : Cubieez with patwood's 3.4.67+ kernel again. The nude distro seemed to be very stable, it ran more than 24h without freeze so I quickly reinstalled all my services : samba, nginx, php5-fpm, mysql, minidlna, ampache, phpmyadmin, inadyn, wordpress, seafile, tvheadend.

Then I had the same issue, freeze after about 6 to 10 hours with the settings 300MHz -> 1.01GHz and performance governor.

I try now 300MHz -> 800MHz to see if it changes something. I will post the results tomorrow.

I wonder if it would be better if I run OS from NAND instead of SD Card. Do you think I could have better stability ?

arturbac

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 01:47:09 pm »
My diagnosis:
- problem is connected with xf86-video-fbturbo
- system is working ok while screen goes black - can connect via ssh
- problem is connected with logged in X session, X welcome screen don't  goes black ...

maybe power managment turns off hdmi and dont turn it back on ...

I got same effect with ubuntu and gentoo, totally different instalations.

Offline Den1982

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 10:57:15 pm »
maybe power managment turns off hdmi and dont turn it back on ...

I tried turn off all screensavers settings (even kill daemon) + turn off all power management settings - that don't solve the problem.

Offline vierax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 04:09:17 am »
Just in case, did you reproduce this issue with another monitor ?

Offline rwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 12:57:28 pm »
Hi

use

Code: [Select]
xset -dpms
in an x terminal. It is not permanent, you need to do this every time and every session/user.

Or add

Code: [Select]
option "DPMS" "false"

to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-sunxifb.conf. It is permanent.