August 14, 2020, 04:45:41 pm

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Lubuntu or ArchLinux?

Started by Vladik, October 03, 2013, 02:30:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladik

Hello here,

I would like to ask you about your opinion on distribution choice.
I got my cubie just yesterday [so I'm very very newbie :-) ] and I cannot decide which distribution I should use.
My primary goal is to run cubie as a server with Apache running on it [PHP, MySQL] so I'm quite sure I don't need desktop packages there. Maybe later I will try to build some kind of NAS on top of it but that's open.

For now I think I will use 32GB SD, later I plan to add SSD as a storage place.

Would you guys vote for Lubuntu or ArchLinux? Do you know which of them has bigger community for example?

In case I would need some package which is not in cubie distribution, is some specific distribution easier for porting?

Or is there some other distribution which you would recommend me to use?

AutoStatic

Quote from: Vladik on October 03, 2013, 02:30:14 am
My primary goal is to run cubie as a server with Apache running on it [PHP, MySQL] so I'm quite sure I don't need desktop packages there. Maybe later I will try to build some kind of NAS on top of it but that's open.
Then I'd use a LTS version of (L)Ubuntu, I wouldn't use Arch for a server.
Quote from: Vladik on October 03, 2013, 02:30:14 amWould you guys vote for Lubuntu or ArchLinux? Do you know which of them has bigger community for example?
Ubuntu has a bigger community.
Quote from: Vladik on October 03, 2013, 02:30:14 amIn case I would need some package which is not in cubie distribution, is some specific distribution easier for porting?
Creating a pkgbuild for Arch is easier than creating a proper deb.
Quote from: Vladik on October 03, 2013, 02:30:14 amOr is there some other distribution which you would recommend me to use?
Plain Debian. For a headless server on an embedded board like the Cubieboard that would be my first option.

cubee-noob

i'd agree.
Lubuntu is fine for a desktop system, Debian/Cubian is ideal for a server.
of course both can easily be used either way, but "bestt practice" is Lubuntu as desktop and debian as server, imho.

Vladik

Thanks for advices. I googled a bit about Arch and it seems Ubuntu will do better job for me now.

Maybe one more question. Is there some major difference between Lubuntu and Cubiuntu?

patwood

Cubiuntu is based on Linaro 12.11. Don't know what Lubuntu is based on.

vierax

October 04, 2013, 07:09:25 pm #5 Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:21:36 pm by vierax
Welcome Vladik,

You seem quite new on Linux, am I right ?
ArchLinux is a rolling release, it's not suitable for a server because it's a lot of work to maintain and sometimes an update could broke your system. It's for people who have a good knowledge in Linux behaviours and want a advanced personalised system or it's a good way to learn how the OS works.
Ubuntu is based on Sid, the unstable rolling release branch of Debian. Even if Canonical works hard on it, it's more a desktop flavour than a server one and it's one of the most user-frendly.
Debian Wheezy is stable, with a bug tracking process of more than two years ! Updates are rare and are often some security patches or new softwares. The only problem with her is that you don't have the last improvements but it's really not a problem for a server except maybe for Apache that you should update in the backports. Debian is not as friendly as Ubuntu but it's not a huge step of difficulty.
So for an headless server you should use Cubian : it's an headless Debian ported on Cubieboard and it's all you need.

Vladik

I'm using Ubuntu for quite a long time :-)
On the other hand I agree I don't know differences between different distributions - sometimes it is just big mess :-(

I don;t want to use Debian just because stable version uses quite old SW usually which might be something I don't want.

vierax

that's true Debian is out of dated (I use it in desktop and sometimes it's a pain) but as I said backports give you fresher softs and this OS is one of the stablest.

If you know Ubuntu, you can use it but you have to expect some bugs.

cubee-noob

Quote from: vierax on October 05, 2013, 04:16:15 pm
that's true Debian is out of dated (I use it in desktop and sometimes it's a pain) but as I said backports give you fresher softs and this OS is one of the stablest.

That is absolutely true. Debian stable is solid as a rock.
it is so because they user not the latest software. for a desktop system i can be better to have more up-to-date software; for a server it usually does not matter so much.
debian, as well as Ubuntu, have a big community; it easy to find good help, how-tos and so on.

Quote from: vierax on October 05, 2013, 04:16:15 pm
If you know Ubuntu, you can use it but you have to expect some bugs.

I use Kubuntu for quite a long time, i never had any severe issues.
mabe some multiverse packages are not as stable as software in debian stable, but the system itself is also very solid.

anyhow, for a server i will always prefer debian, e.g. because they keep to standards (e.g. sysv-inits and so on). for a desktop on a cubieboard(2), Lubuntu is no bad choice. ubuntu imho requires too much RAM, but Lubuntu should run good on a cubieboard2 as desktop, just because LXDE requires less RAM and CPU than Unity.

both (l)ubuntu and debian have a severe advantage over other distributions: apt-get.
if one is used to use apt, one will suffer if one cannot use this smart, easy-to-use and powerfull tool.

fedora also could be an alternative, especially with apt-rpm, but using mp3 and so on might cause extra effort. fedora is made to be very secure, therefor activating server services for your home lan might also cause extra effort.

redneck

I would definitely recommend to use Arch. Thus it has some minuses.
Minuses:
- Arch-community does not mainly support CB2 (yet). Arch version for CB2 at the very moment is based on an outdated kernel version 3.3x. So in this particular case debian-based Cubian is actually bleedin-edge right now, in spite of arch is aiming to have the newest software.
- Arch-arm communuty is relatively small.

Pluses:
- On the other hand - Arch is always a perfect solution for a server  (simple, fast). However people still do have a stereotype about Arch as distro with an unstable software. (not really, anymore).
- It is much much easier to compile a kernel or a program with Arch - so no problem with an old kernel etc. It is extremely important for ARM, because you do not depend on any repos at all and still is able to get the software perfectly suited for your device. (however it is up to you)
- It has an amazing wiki (the best among all unix I've ever seen). On the other hand you can use it anyway.

Quote from: cubee-noob on October 06, 2013, 02:31:13 am
both (l)ubuntu and debian have a severe advantage over other distributions: apt-get.

Well, apt-get is smooth and nice package manager, but I better prefer pacman (very realible and easy-to-use).

By the way, guys, I don't really understand why some of you advice DE-distros (whether it LXDE or not) - no need for a DE on a server system.imho.

2 Vladik:
1. the latest custom-compiled kernel on Arch Build System + Arch  = fast (maybe the fastest) and reliable server system.
2. Gentoo is another good solution, but Gentoo for Arm may be a pain if you are a newbie (on the other hand if you handle it with the current lack of manuals - you will feel comfortable with your device for the rest of its life). Actually, there is a nice guide for CB2 (reworked guide for CB1).
3. Cubian is healdess and nice. And actually supports all the newest features (incl video-drivers etc) out of the box. So it is still easy and reliable decision for a server. But since you already have a Debian-based system on your desktop (Ubuntu) - why not trying something absolutely new (Gentoo eg)?
4. I don't think  (ANY)ubuntu is a nice idea for your purposes.

I myself use Gentoo and Arch on my 2 CBs.
And Arch on a desktop/laptop/whatever for the last 5 years. (But before I used Debian for very very long - really glad I've dropped it for Arch).
So I may be "a bit" prejudiced.

cubieplayer

It's a good thing we have so many choice  :P

AutoStatic

Quote from: redneck on October 16, 2013, 08:08:25 pm
- On the other hand - Arch is always a perfect solution for a server  (simple, fast). However people still do have a stereotype about Arch as distro with an unstable software. (not really, anymore).
I would advise against using Arch for a server, especially when you plan to hook it on the interwebs.