November 18, 2019, 05:47:12 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

What are you doing with your Cubieboard?

Started by jangers, September 22, 2013, 11:09:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaouthia

At the moment my CubieBoard is basically just a web development server on my LAN.  That's all it was ever intended to be really, mostly because it's just that bit faster than the Pi (all of which have now been relegated to XBMC duty, as they give better performance for that than the CB).

When my CubieTruck gets here, the plan is to use it on location as a WiFi backup system for stills & video.

It'll have a 1TB hard drive hooked up to it, FTP server so I can upload video from Filmic Pro on iPhones, SD & CF card readers for transferring RAW files and video from DSLRs.  It'll make a handy viewing server for the iPads, too.

One of the TP-Link routers linked below, and a stack of 12000mAh USB batteries should do the job nicely for a couple of days camping out in the middle of nowhere shooting photos.

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?model=TL-WR702N

The USB batteries have a pair of outputs.  One 2A and one 1A.  I figure a USB Y cable going from both sockets to the CT's power input should be able to handle the power demands for the hard drive.

If not, I have a 5v 3A switching buck converter I can use, and a few 4800-9800mAh 12v batteries.

Tokka

when i bought cubie, my intent was to use it to replace my old nlsu2 which act as umts router, media server, pbx server, download server, and web server (nslu2 has only 32mb of ram, cpu overclocked at 236mhz, and no video output), playng audio and video files directly on it.
After 10 mounths, except for video files (at the moment only hd avi, not full hd and not mkv), i can do all these things, but in the meantime other 2 versions of cubie are released....and i bought 2 mini itx pc, with atom dual core and nvidia gpu, and cheapest than cubie2/3 (more or less same price of cubie1).
Cubie is fun, but is price must be near ras-pi to have a sense...imho.
CB1 (A10) - Qbee-X_TMC

karkov

I had some troubles with nand images. First I tried Cubieez, but the lack of chrome (iceweasel is terrible), the mplayer upscale performance is horrible and google search is always detected as device mobile and i can't change that.

Then i tried lubuntu 1.06, and to be usable i need to configure the ntfs (write option) to use an external hdd,  configure the timeout of boot when is not connected to ethernet, configure the shutdown to avoid the bug with password, configure the audio output to phones and the keyboard layout, and set the VGA output. All this stuff only to get an usable cubieboard.

Anyway, i can't install minitube, the html5 performance in chormium is really bad, the cedarX support is useless because there is no video players with support (except vlc partially). Dragon player is not working too. In general my experience is not good. Sorry.

basically i only use the cubieboard with transmission and torrents. This was one of the few torrent client that worked.

Also, an apt-get upgrade broke in both distros. It is really easy to broke the GUI too. Already happened to me about 4 or 5 times

Tokka

If you have cb1, try cubiuntu, may be it do your job  :P
CB1 (A10) - Qbee-X_TMC

karkov

January 21, 2014, 12:46:58 pm #49 Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:54:23 pm by karkov
It's the cubieboard2. Soon i will try android and fedora/cubian. Maybe in android the video and browsing performance are better than in lubuntu.

But I need the VGA support, so android can't be an option i think.

Tokka

CB1 (A10) - Qbee-X_TMC

edysing

Hello all,

I am really a newbie in this kind of things, but i already bought a raspberry pi, and manage to make it as a downloader using sabnzbd+, because there is a good tutorial to do it.

Now i already own cubieboard2, and i am planning to use it as torrent box, but there is no good tutorial how to do it, anybody can tell me how do that or where i can find good tutorial how to do it?

What system that i use? and everything, very desparate  :(, maybe anyone of you, the expert can help me, it is really appreciated.

Sincerely desperate,
Edy Sing

arrhenius

Quote from: edysing on February 03, 2014, 03:25:45 am
Hello all,

I am really a newbie in this kind of things, but i already bought a raspberry pi, and manage to make it as a downloader using sabnzbd+, because there is a good tutorial to do it.

Now i already own cubieboard2, and i am planning to use it as torrent box, but there is no good tutorial how to do it, anybody can tell me how do that or where i can find good tutorial how to do it?

What system that i use? and everything, very desparate  :(, maybe anyone of you, the expert can help me, it is really appreciated.

Sincerely desperate,
Edy Sing

Hi: i use my cubieboard1 as a torrentbox mainly.

its very easy:

1. get an SDCARD
2. download a Linux distro for CB2 , for example Cubiuntu, Cubieez..
3. Write the image to the sdcard
4. insert the sdcard and boot . wellcome to linux!
5. Mount your usb harddisk
6. Install torrent client , i use transmission ( sudo apt-get install transmission-daemon)
7. Configure transmission
8. enjoy

Probably you will need some help on some or all points of the list, but this is an idea of the most importants things you have to do .

I suggest you to start the list, ask for help , learn, and enjoy.

vierax

hi edysing

if it's just for a NAS with a torrent server, you can try an headless distro as Cubian. You can access it in command line with a monitor + keyboard or even from your main desktop computer with an SSH connection. CLI management is not so much complicated than GUI, just give it a try or you can install xserver and lxde later (It's more difficult to purge a desktop distro than adding a desktop to an headless distro and this possibility is ever explained step by step on the cubian website)
You just have to run a torrent server daemon (like Transmission or Deluge) and enable the distant Web interface to manage torrent files :)

johndoe_71rus

My prototype.

Wifi rt3072
Bluetooth
wireless mouse
keyboard  iPazzport

additional equipment

Cubieboard2 / Android 4.2.2 / Cubieez 7.4@3.4.79+patwood

wickwire

My Cubietruck is IP remote controlling an arduino robot car!

... using Qt 5 and QtSockets and QtSerialPort and absolutely no graphics at all - apart from the empty canvas on the Qt client app

Check out its first ride on Youtube!

actkk2000

June 21, 2014, 09:47:24 am #56 Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:58:46 am by actkk2000
Quote from: wickwire on June 20, 2014, 06:45:28 pm
My Cubietruck is IP remote controlling an arduino robot car!

Ho ho! I love it!  ;D