Author Topic: Using screen and keyboard from bricked netbook  (Read 4441 times)

freebirds

Using screen and keyboard from bricked netbook
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:57:59 pm »
I have a bricked 9 inch netbook. I would like to use it like a lapdock to connect cubieboard2 to it. I would like to use its screen and keyboard without having to disassemble it but would dissemble it if necessary. What cables are required to connect a laptop's screen and keyboard to the cubieboard2?

Offline diogoc

• View Profile
Re: Using screen and keyboard from bricked netbook
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 08:52:28 pm »
You have do disassembly it and use the LVDS cable to connect to cubie.
The keyboard I dont think will be possible.

PedroC1999

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 06:13:55 am »
You have do disassembly it and use the LVDS cable to connect to cubie.
The keyboard I dont think will be possible.
The keyboard depends on what interface the netbook used to connect it to the MB

freebirds

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 04:51:21 pm »
A generic LVDS cable or does the LVDS cable need to be specific to the manufacturer of the netbook?

Could you please elaborate on "The keyboard depends on what interface the netbook used to connect it to the MB." What are the possible interfaces and what kind of cable for each interface?

The other option is purchasing a lapdock and cables. No one answered my post on what cables to buy to connect a lapdock to the cubie board2.

wilsoncr

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 09:26:18 pm »
From my understanding, you have a number of  options for connecting a screen to the cubieboard.

I am assuming your LCD screen has LVDS

Directly via LVDS to the cubieboard: you will need to get a cable (generic should be easier) and perform some minor surgery to connect the cable to the cubie. You will need to hack the cable so it is compatible with the GPIO pins on the board. You will also need to power the LCD board and the backlight for the LCD. How to do this? I am not sure and would like to know myself.

LVDS to baseboard to cubieboard: You can buy 2 different types of baseboards that will make it easier to connect. Miniand sells one and so does IO technologies ( https://store.iotllc.com/product.php?productid=3&cat=0&featured=Y ). The latter board is more of a plug and play solution.

Let me how your progress goes. I am trying to connect an LCD directly but there isnt much info online about how to achieve this.

Offline diogoc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 08:13:09 pm »
The cubie don't have a specific connector for LVDS so you have to connect the wires to the expansion port LVDS pins. You will have to also provide the supply voltages that the lcd needs. You have some schematics in the web.
Or you can buy a baseboard and connect it directly the LVDS cable that should already also include the power to the LCD.

Regarding to the keyboard, if it is a keyboard of a netbook / laptop I doubt that can use in the Cubie (at least easily) because its output is in matrix. The easiest way is to use a keyboard with usb connection.

Offline vierax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 04:19:24 pm »
Laptop keyboard are connected with a proprietary PS/2 cable so you have to find what is the scheme of different pins (you may find it written on the motherboard) and use an active ps/2 to usb converter. You can make your own with an Arduino board or a Teensy (search soarer's converter on Deskthority) or maybe you can create a PS/2 port with the GPIO (I don't know if it's possible).
If you don't find scheme of your keyboard, you should be careful trying to find what pins correspond to what : you can melt the keyboard fuse with the 5V pin. I suggest you to create your own device with arduino and cherry mx switches or adding the cubie into the free space of a keyboard case (I saw some guys doing this with a Commodore C64 or a Tipro)