October 22, 2019, 09:45:43 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Cubie2: No Image worked so far

Started by moaci, August 03, 2013, 05:00:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

moaci

Hey Guys!
Quick introduction. I'm Marc, from the (hopefully)  growing german cubieboard community.
My Linux experience in a nutshell: Search Image, Download Image, Burn Image. Install from the Live CD.
Something doesn't work. Shit. Try google/youtube/forums, maybe get it to work, if not: Shit²

Anyway, got the Cubie2 as a present 2 days ago.
And so far I didn't get any of the Images to work on the sd card.
I tried Cubieez and Cuibuntu 0.5 and 0.6.
I am using Win 7 64bit and used Win32DiskImager to write the images to sd.
Biggest accomplishments were a black screen with 2 Tux Images on the top left corner while booting and ongoing rebooting with the same result :(
With the Cubiuntu 0.5 image i even got to the point where its loading the modules, but it stopped at "starting crash report submission daemon" and after rebooting and trying again, it stopped at another point during loading sequence. After that, there were only the 2 Tux Images on the top left corner, similar to my experience with the other images.

I'm not quite sure, what went wrong, since there don't seem to be many chances to screw it up.
At least not if the only thing I had to do,  was downloading the image, writing it on the sd card with win32diskimager and plug the sd card into the cubie.

Any ideas, where I might have screwed up anyway ?

ikeeki

Several ideas:
1Format sd card prevously to fat 32 or ext 4.
2Use linux for flash th sdcard, the commando would be:
dd     if='/home/ikeeki/Escritorio/Cubiuntu0.6-a20.img'     of=/dev/sdb  bs=512 (changing your paths)
3Change sdcard. IT MUST BE 4 GB, check that.
4Take a look to android and confirm if it works (for checking the good or bad status of the cubie)
5Do not execute loads of other proccess while flashing.
6 reinstall the flash programas for windows and retry.
7chek the md5sums of the files, provided on the same topics.
8check that the cubie is not plugged to a 2,5 hdd that could suck up energy from cubie (just in case)
9check the cubie is not on a metalic surface while loading.
10chek you don't have blutooth or wifi or rare keyboards or mouses.

Regards.

patwood

Unplug all USB devices.
Make sure your power supply produces 1A or more.
Try powering through a different input, e.g., mini USB.
>4G cards will work.
Try reinserting the card. Try dust off on the card carrier. Try rubbing the card contacts with an eraser the clean them.
Try a different card. I've had them go bad.

patwood

Oh, and there was a report here: http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,605.0.html that cubian sets the max CPU freq to 1.2GHz, which may be unstable on the CB2.

ikeeki

patwood

Quote from: ikeeki on August 03, 2013, 03:36:18 pm
Quote from: patwood on August 03, 2013, 02:20:16 pm
Oh, and there was a report here: http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,605.0.html that cubian sets the max CPU freq to 1.2GHz, which may be unstable on the CB2.

I think this goes here http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,605.msg3157/topicseen.html#msg3157

Yes, except it could also be related to why the OP can't get some or all of the images to boot.  Boards can vary a bit, and the startup code for CUBIUNTU also messes with the CPU governors.  Just one other possible variable in getting a distro to boot on a relatively new CPU.

Still, if I were betting money  :) I'd say it was the SD card or power supply.

moaci

August 04, 2013, 03:23:06 am #6 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 03:24:48 am by moaci
Hey Guys!
Thank you very much for your fast reply.
Due to weekend work (yay...) I hadn't had the Chance to do get to it.
But what I've done so far:

Quote from: ikeeki on August 03, 2013, 07:45:49 am
Several ideas:
1Format sd card prevously to fat 32 or ext 4.tried that
2Use linux for flash th sdcard, the commando would be:
dd     if='/home/ikeeki/Escritorio/Cubiuntu0.6-a20.img'     of=/dev/sdb  bs=512 (changing your paths)
3Change sdcard. IT MUST BE 4 GB, check that.It's 16gb and brand new, but gotta look for another card
4Take a look to android and confirm if it works (for checking the good or bad status of the cubie)works fine
5Do not execute loads of other proccess while flashing.tried that
6 reinstall the flash programas for windows and retry.was just a zip file
7chek the md5sums of the files, provided on the same topics.checked
8check that the cubie is not plugged to a 2,5 hdd that could suck up energy from cubie (just in case)nope
9check the cubie is not on a metalic surface while loading.nope
10chek you don't have blutooth or wifi or rare keyboards or mouses.nope, keyboard and mouse work fine

Regards.

But I had a little success yesterday. I got Cubian to work partly at least.
Download,Write Image on SD, Plug into CB2 and it started loading.
after "update" command it still worked
but after "upgrade command" I got ongoing errors "ext4-fs error cannot read block bitmap.."
So I didn't really get to the point where I could download lxde.
More Information tomorrow.
gotta go to work : /

Thanks again for your help!

ikeeki

Do not upgrade, these are images that cannot be upgraded, there are not repositories for that, even if they appear to exist, they are not "suitable?" for that. If all your problems are the upgrade command, do not worry, that's normal.

patwood

Quote from: ikeeki on August 04, 2013, 05:24:08 am
Do not upgrade, these are images that cannot be upgraded, there are not repositories for that, even if they appear to exist, they are not "suitable?" for that. If all your problems are the upgrade command, do not worry, that's normal.

Right.  Update is okay, installing new packages is okay, upgrade will trash your distro and require you to start over.

moaci

Ok tried again without upgrade. This time it didn't really wanted to update, nor install lxde.
And the ext4-fs errors came out of nowhere again.
Got annoyed and took your advice #2 and used linux (lubuntu) to flash the sd card with cuibuntu.
You can't believe how happy I was when i first saw the cuibuntu log in screen. Problem. Neither linaro nor root would work.
But I posted this problem in the cuibuntu a20 thread, maybe someone knows the answer.
Damn, I need more SD Cards. Erasing and Rewriting with only one card sucks. Especially on an 10 year old lap top ^^

Just to clarify: They only things, plugged in the cubie are: mouse, keyboard, sd card, ethernet, and 5v1A. Got only a 1A power cable, since I wasn't really gonna plug anything more in (a wifi dongle maybe somewhere in the future)
But I will try mini usb with 2 A, allthough I don't believe that this is the problem.

So far,

ikeeki

I'm almost sure is th sd card or the flash, try command dd if='/path/img'       of=/dev/sdb bs=512
Or

dd if='/path/img'       of=/dev/sdb bs=1k

Chech the md5 sum as I told you.

moaci

August 04, 2013, 05:06:43 pm #11 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:09:17 pm by moaci
Ok solved the checksum problem. I am an Idiot. Just didn't realize, that it simply takes a while to calculate. Escpecially on a 10 year old laptop. Downloaded "Hashmyfiles" for windows, where I realized that it slowly crawled towards 100 %.
Tried it again on the laptop where it took 5 or 6 minutes. Glad we got that mystery solved -_-

Images on the lubuntu laptop and the windows machine are:

fbb846f5835ec91a9d412d3062b45566

which seems identically to the one in the Cubiuntu thread. Files are ok then.
Gonna get another sd card tomorrow and we will see what happens.
btw: power via mini usb @2A had no effect on the outcome.
and I used the Imagewriter I found in the lubuntu software center, to write the images on sd.
I will try the command line tomorrow, too.

Thanks again for your help and patience.

moaci

Hey guys,

woohoo!
It works. You were right, it seems there was really something wrong with the SD Card.
Tried the commandline flash with "dd" before. And wouldn't work either.
So i bought a different one, Transcend micro sdhc UHS-I Class 10 16GB.
The old one was a SanDisk Ultra UHS-1 Class 10 16 GB.
I will try to bring it back to the store, and get another. Just too see if it's just this one card or these particular model or a problem with SanDisk Cards in general. Which would be weird, since SanDisk are the most common SD Cards you can find here in Germany.
Maybe I find something online about particular SanDisk cards, that cause problems. I will keep you posted.

Can't thank you enough guys!

ikeeki

Now I buy trascend too, I've had problems with kingston, and you with sandisk, so, as for now, is better to buy trascend.

ikeeki

Quote from: patwood on August 03, 2013, 10:19:39 am
Unplug all USB devices.
Make sure your power supply produces 1A or more.
Try powering through a different input, e.g., mini USB.
>4G cards will work.
Try reinserting the card. Try dust off on the card carrier. Try rubbing the card contacts with an eraser the clean them.
Try a different card. I've had them go bad.

>4GB? >64 GB too? just curious.