Author Topic: Trouble with first steps (for development)  (Read 4882 times)

xtofury

Trouble with first steps (for development)
« on: August 01, 2013, 10:04:47 pm »
I am stuck in between a rock and a hard place, I really don't want to use virtualbox to do this, and it's the only means to getting a development environment on my laptop.  I have no other computer to use, other than the cubieboard itself.

I have downloaded the ubuntu 12.04 image, and am wondering, am I going to run into problems getting this stuff working on the cubie?

I would like to use a spare SATA drive for the space required for the compiling, because 4gb nand is not enough and I don't happen to have a 64gb sd card (plus I think there's a chance that is too small even though the instructions say 50gb is enough, some comments lead me to believe that it should be closer to 100gb).

So I did some digging and it seems I can't boot from SATA :(  not without fiddling around and splitting the kernal and a few other things from the rest of the operating system.

Is there any less intensive way around this?  There's instructions on adding raw sd card access to vbox, those instructions suck and fail.  There's instructions on how to setup ubuntu 12.10 I believe for development, but it fails when trying to make uboot.  There's instructions on cubie board stuff; but that requires having a development environment to rebuild the kernel from what I understand.  I feel like I am chasing my own tail!

Why do the images, which appear to have a resistive touch screen configured at 5 inches in the file, not have the pin headers pre-configured?  ts2-calibrate adds literally nothing to the kernel and there is plenty of room why is it not included?

Why are there no virtualbox instructions and accompanying image to get a development environment completely set up?

Does anybody have any ideas around all of these instructions that don't work?

Offline patwood

• Linux geek
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with first steps (for development)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 02:29:13 am »
What are you planning on building?  If it's Android, you'll need about 20-30 GB just for that; if it's the linux kernel, you'll need around 2.5GB for the full git repository + compiled kernel. 

The root file system for a full g++ development environment with a light GUI can be had for around 2GB.

I've built vlc and the sunxifb mali drivers on CUBIUNTU with an 8GB uSD card, and had room to spare for a 2GB DVD RIP.

Android's a beast; I wouldn't suggest anyone try to build it on a cubieboard.  It takes 45 minutes to build on an Intel core-i7 running a native (not virtual) 64-bit linux install.  A rough guestimate is it'll take around 24 hours to build on an A10.

xtofury

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 11:12:18 pm »
that isn't too bad I'm a patient guy, 24 hours on a cubie is liveable if I can get a few spares... either way I managed to get through these first steps:
ubuntuone.com/3shH0f0PEAUG5BA9jJzn6x

I'm going to write out the differences that had to be done in constructing the vbox image that I now have, got all the way down to the "sd card" instructions, but stuck there now because of raw access to sd.... I am told using an sd makes this much simpler rather than generating .img and flashing with livesuit, at least till I can do a backup of something I make that works then I can distribute .img.

One question though, once I get done with this and it works (if it works), what am I doing with this file:
http://dl.linux-sunxi.org/users/amery/sunxi-3.0/latest/cubieboard_hwpack.tar.xz

I notice .ko stuff, assuming ko=kernel object....

I'm just gunna upload the vbox image when I am done because this has been too many headaches and I'm sure there's people out there that would rather just get a move on than fiddle around with install this and install that, and do it this way instead, replace mali_a1000 with cubieboard, j5 needs to be j4, etc.  Really a big pain that all was, and confusing....

Offline patwood

• Linux geek
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 11:29:27 am »
that isn't too bad I'm a patient guy, 24 hours on a cubie is liveable if I can get a few spares... either way I managed to get through these first steps:
ubuntuone.com/3shH0f0PEAUG5BA9jJzn6x
I'm patient, too, but better you than me.

If you do plan on getting some spares, pick up a CB2; it's about 60% faster on builds (I tested this building vlc, not android, but I would expect similar results).  That's a pretty good improvement for an extra $10.

I'm going to write out the differences that had to be done in constructing the vbox image that I now have, got all the way down to the "sd card" instructions, but stuck there now because of raw access to sd.... I am told using an sd makes this much simpler rather than generating .img and flashing with livesuit, at least till I can do a backup of something I make that works then I can distribute .img.

As I've said elsewhere, I've gave up on the linux version of livesuit long ago because it was so finicky about the .img format, rejecting some stock factory images.  The windows version had its own problems, not connecting to the device more than half the time.  I've had much better luck just writing images to SD and nand with rsync and dd.

Maybe I'll give it another try; sounds like some progress has been made with newer versions.

One question though, once I get done with this and it works (if it works), what am I doing with this file:
http://dl.linux-sunxi.org/users/amery/sunxi-3.0/latest/cubieboard_hwpack.tar.xz
See http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,588.msg3097.html#msg3097.  It's specific to the CB2 hwpack, but you can generalize it to others.

I notice .ko stuff, assuming ko=kernel object....
Those are run-time loadable kernel modules (drivers).

I'm just gunna upload the vbox image when I am done because this has been too many headaches and I'm sure there's people out there that would rather just get a move on than fiddle around with install this and install that, and do it this way instead, replace mali_a1000 with cubieboard, j5 needs to be j4, etc.  Really a big pain that all was, and confusing....
Better you than me, man, better you than me....

xtofury

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 04:55:33 pm »
I'm considering the CB2, but it really ought to come with RTC or at least some pins so that it is easier to hook up a board to enable to RTC onboard with the A10.  Also, I'd expect at some point some power routing from the OTG to the USB so I don't need that extra cable to do that... all it takes is an extra trace in the eagle schematics so I'd expect something like that to be included in a revision.

Also, I see there's an A30, quad core would be nicer than dual core, but not sure how pin compatible it is seeing as the package has more pins (never looked into that).

Also, would be nice if the "optional wifi" on CB2, and the integrated wifi on the cubietruck2, were to include one that can perform packet injection, as I'd love to use one of these with Backtrax for network security analysis.

I am leaning more towards the cubietruck 2 myself, it would also be nice if there were more NAND, perhaps 8gb instead of 4gb, this way people can care less about making things small and just include extra's in the kernal and other parts of the operating systems.

Offline patwood

• Linux geek
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 09:04:05 pm »
Also, I see there's an A30, quad core would be nicer than dual core, but not sure how pin compatible it is seeing as the package has more pins (never looked into that).
That A31 isn't pin compatible wit the A10/A20.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 10:26:27 pm by patwood »

xtofury

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:44:31 pm »
yeah I know, still would be nice though....

Anyways I've moved on to the following:
http://linux-sunxi.org/Building_Android_TV_image

Which has a faulty link for the WGET command -- so I wind up using this instead:
http://dl.cubieboard.org/software/a10-cubieboard/android/cubieboard_opentv.tar.gz

Which results in a directory structure that doesn't work with this:
$cd cubieboard_opentv/

I guess next time I'm going to have to try it "the google way", see if that works.....

UPDATE:  Nope google way instructions produce a wackload of errors, there's no way this is gunna work.

UPDATE: had to set aside a huge block of time for the google way, so far 5 hours...and it's still fiddling about....
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:44:26 pm by xtofury »