October 22, 2019, 09:45:14 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Is it possible to power cubieboard (A10) not from mini USB or DC jack?

Started by bradpitt, July 29, 2013, 08:28:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bradpitt

Hi,

I want to make custom enclosure (case) for cubieboard that would fit also 3.5" SATA HDD.  But I would want to supply power (5V) for the board itself not through a mini USB or DC jacks, because those are at the edges of the board, so I would need to drill a hole in enclosure to route the power supply cable to outside of the case to reach the above mentioned connections.  Is there a way to supply power through some internal pins on the board?  Through some point that is not sticking outside to the enclosure?

I've scrapped and attached to this post a little picture to illustrate what I'm trying to achieve.

ryba84

You can power Your cubie thru pins under the power connector. You must solder them (2mm pitch 2x2 pin header). Baseboard deliver power to cubie like this. You must short out diode D2. Look at this post: http://www.iotllc.com/joomla/index.php/forum/baseboard/2-powering-the-cubie-with-the-baseboard

diogoc

If you power the cubie with the 4 pins under the power connector it is not necessary to short out diode D2

ryba84

I haven't tested it, but if You've  build baseboard You may be right.

patwood

Quote from: ryba84 on July 30, 2013, 12:05:14 pm
I haven't tested it, but if You've  build baseboard You may be right.

He's right.  You only need to short D2 if you want to power the Cubieboard by applying +5 to the double row of headers (we did it this way, as we needed access to the GPIO pins anyway).

diogoc

By applying 5V to the double row of headers you are too bypassing the fuse. Is not problematic but is more one protection.

bradpitt

Excuse me for my ignorance, but as I see it, in order to solder 2x2 pin header (marked green in picture), first I need to desolder power connector?
I think it would be easier for me to solder just 2 wires to the power connector (marked red in picture).

diogoc

You don't have to desolder the power connector. You can solder the 4 pins from the bottom oof the pcb.
Just remove or raises the plastic that usualy holds the pins.

patwood

Quote from: diogoc on July 31, 2013, 04:22:41 am
By applying 5V to the double row of headers you are too bypassing the fuse. Is not problematic but is more one protection.

Yeah, but we also supply the power supply and make the daughter board, so we put a fuse and diode there.

DocHifi

Just a Question.
Is there anything against the Idea from bradpitt, with the Red Pins ?
Greetz DH

diogoc

Quote from: DocHifi on August 03, 2013, 12:52:38 pm
Just a Question.
Is there anything against the Idea from bradpitt, with the Red Pins ?
Greetz DH

Solder 2 wires? Well you can do that offcourse, but I think it is not very practical to have two wires soldered to the Cubie.

GeorgeIoak

Just solder a wire across D2, I made a good picture of it here, http://www.iotllc.com/joomla/media/kunena/attachments/901/Cubie_D2.png. There are hundreds of people doing this and with a short little wire on the Cubie it is easier to handle than if you have a 4-pin power connector soldered on the bottom of the board. By using the 4-pin power connector you then also have to match the height of this connector to the other GPIO pin headers.