October 22, 2019, 08:28:32 pm

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/


Instability running Cubietruck with official HDD adapter?

Started by saljut7, February 25, 2017, 05:25:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

saljut7

Hi all,

I want to run a Cubietruck with a WD Red 3TB powered by a Leicke NT03010 via official HDD adpater.

First HDD adapter I got caused really strange conneciton problems like random i/o errors accessing the HDD. Second one I bought works somehow but causes power off/restart after around one week after running 24/7.

The point is: same setup but with independent power supply for HDD and Cubietruck works stable over weeks.

Are there any known problems with the official HDD adapter?

Thanks a lot
sj7

lawrence

Sounds like insufficient power.  How many amps is the adaptor?

Probably drawing too much current for it to cope.

saljut7

Quote from: lawrence on February 27, 2017, 07:44:59 am
Sounds like insufficient power.  How many amps is the adaptor?

Probably drawing too much current for it to cope.


Thanks for your reply.

As mentioned/linked my current power supply Leicke NT03010 has an output of 12V and 3A.

Related to a product notice by Pollin.de (where I bought the first HDD adapter) sticked on the back side of the HDD adapter this is the maxium input (12V/3A).
Without knowing this I used a Leicke power supply with 12V/5A before causing same problems so I don't think the problem is caused by too less "power".

Any other ideas?

calhemp

Hi, I have cubi1 and cubi2 with cubieboard adapter 12v for sata/hdd 3.5 and filesystem in hdd with armbian installed, and usb-2.1/1.7mm conector from adapter for power cubies, and a power supply of 12v3A.

cubie2 with WD green, cubie1 with seagate disk

and cubie1 with seagate didn't work well, and finally discover

the special cable usb-2.1mm conecttor  that power cubie from the adapter was the cullprit!!

it worked well without hdd attached, only sd card, but when conected 5v from cubie to hdd, hdd wasn't stable,
because a think of thin usb cable wires.
if I connected from a usb-hdd box worked ok.


I maked a "diy witdh cable" for power my cubie from the adapter and works very well now.


you can check this, if your cable is not powering efficient cubie and 5v for hdd from the adapter.

saljut7

Quote from: calhemp on February 28, 2017, 08:30:16 am
the special cable usb-2.1mm conecttor  that power cubie from the adapter was the cullprit!!

[...]

I maked a "diy witdh cable" for power my cubie from the adapter and works very well now.


Thank you very much (especially for the photo). This is very interesting. If nobody replies who is running a cubieboard3 I will try what you suggest.

calhemp

 ;D ;D

dirty diys  ;D

I use a faulty SAI/UPS box for my experiment all inside.
*) power supply like http://www.dx.com/p/t-36-12-12v-3a-36w-led-switch-power-supply-adapter-silver-312246#.WLYEzRC5JTE (and regulated to 12v.)
*)power cubie adapter with a cable soldered in botton of usb ports for power my cubie
*) base breadboard for cubie for my diy gpio tests and call a poweroff/restart/backup script from button.
*)hdd tb.
*)usb temper for check inside box temperature with a script.

Don Pedro

Quote from: saljut7 on February 25, 2017, 05:25:41 pm
I want to run a Cubietruck with a WD Red 3TB powered by a Leicke NT03010 via official HDD adpater.

First HDD adapter I got caused really strange conneciton problems like random i/o errors accessing the HDD. Second one I bought works somehow but causes power off/restart after around one week after running 24/7.

The point is: same setup but with independent power supply for HDD and Cubietruck works stable over weeks.

Are there any known problems with the official HDD adapter?


I had similar problems but it turned out that the problem is not the adapter. I measured the adapter with a multimeter and a scope and there were not strange signals on it.

No, as it turned out the problem is with the cubietruck mainboard itself. it has the capability to switch off the HDD via a set of mosfet transistors looped in the 5V and 12V power connectors to the HDD. Basically this is a good idea, if you power down the CT it can switch off the HDD completely. however also low drop mosfets have a small voltage drop in on mode. And for my scenario it was sufficient to make my HDD hickup, maybe it is especially picky on the voltage supply. I have a 4TB Seagate HDD attached and when supplied via the power connectors of the CT it regularly quit operation and spun down. I tried with several power supplies, all had the same effect. After I changed the HDD power connector directly to the power supply, circumventing the cubie mainboard the problems were all in a sudden gone. The CT is running now for months many without problems.

So I'd suggest you connect the HDD directly to your power supply and your problems should be gone instantly.

Cheerz

Don

saljut7

Thank you Don.

(Meanwhile I bought a HP MicroServer. ARM boards were a very good start for me to run my own services but on long term I thought a system with multiple HDD bays is necessary to have more reliability.)

Don Pedro

Quote from: saljut7 on January 14, 2018, 06:58:34 am
(Meanwhile I bought a HP MicroServer. ARM boards were a very good start for me to run my own services but on long term I thought a system with multiple HDD bays is necessary to have more reliability.)


AFAIK Cubietruck supports SATA port multiplier, so basically it should be possible to connect several HDD's to the board. Didn't try it myself however. Did anyone else do that? Would be interested in experiences made...

Cheerz

Don