Author Topic: What is the best build strategy for c++ apps on cubieboard  (Read 1233 times)

Offline dk1979

• View Profile
What is the best build strategy for c++ apps on cubieboard
« on: February 10, 2017, 04:20:34 am »
Hi all,
I have been dealing with a cross-platform c++ project that needs also to run on a board. The board that was chosen was cubieboard3 with armbian debian jessie bootable from microsd. Since I'm absolute beginner both on cubietruck and cross Linux app building, what is the best strategy to follow according to your experience. To build the code on board or to create a cross compiler on a standard linux desktop machine andbuild there my app. Where can I find relevant  info ?

Offline lawrence

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best build strategy for c++ apps on cubieboard
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 06:04:22 am »
Whichever you find easier would be the answer.

Cross compiler setup is fairly straightforward.
I usually make a vm with the compiler though to keep things clean and separate from my main OS.

Building onboard is slower for obvious reasons, but also ok.

Depends how large your project is really.

Offline dk1979

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 07:25:34 am »
Thanks for quick response but where can I find which exactly cross compiler tool-chain to use so as to be compatible with cubieboard3 . For example  I have found arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++ as well as g++-arm-linux-gnueabi. How can I confirm which is suitable ?

Offline lawrence

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:10:28 am »
gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi is the cross-toolchain package for the armel architecture. This toolchain implies the EABI generated by gcc's -mfloat-abi=soft or -mfloat-abi=softfp options.

gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf is the cross-toolchain package for the armhf architecture. This toolchain implies the EABI generated by the gcc -mfloat-abi=hard option.

So.. gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf