September 18, 2019, 07:35:49 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Cubieboard v2 (A20) images

Started by GastonLagaffe, July 06, 2013, 11:05:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sanyigz

July 07, 2013, 06:57:57 pm #15 Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:20:16 pm by sanyigz
No these aren't cause problems  ;D now i've successfully set the screen mode from 720p 50hz (which is handled very badly by my vga monitor) to 720p 60hz, which is handled way better. It's still not 1280x1024 so the screen is still stretched vertically, but the fex guide says on HDMI only the SD and HD TV resolutions are supported (480p, 576p, 720p, 768p, 1080i, 1080p), however these can be surely overridden because my windows pc can send 1280x1024 through HDMI, but here i don't know how. But at least it works for now.

About the ethernet problems, now i did some tests monitoring with my android phone's wifi connection to my modem/router:
1. started cubie2 with your image, with disconnected ethernet.
2. After the linux started i've plugged in the ethernet cable.
3. Nothing happened, the net connection worked on my pc and the wifi too on phone
4. Then i've restarted cubie2 with connected ethernet.
5. When at boot it reached "waiting for network configuration" the wifi disappeared, and the internet access stopped on the PC
6. I've restarted the modem/router, and the net and wifi is working again
7. I've shut off cubie2 and pull out the SD card to try with android
8. Android booted with ethernet cable plugged in, wifi didn't disappeared, net connection was working.

So i'm now sure that something somehow in your linux image doing something with that router. However for me it looks like an x-file, i've never heard that a simple network client can cause problem like this, only that torrenting can cripple some network devices, but not like this.

About the script.bin i have some questions:
-dram_size value is set to 1. Is this correct? http://linux-sunxi.org/Fex_Guide says it should be the ram size in MB.
-[g2d_para] section is missing "G2D is the 2D graphic display engine on the Allwinner SoC"
-emac_used  is set to disabled (0) " 0 to disable; 1 to enable the ethernet MAC"

patwood

July 07, 2013, 11:43:50 pm #16 Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:58:41 pm by patwood
Quote from: sanyigz on July 07, 2013, 03:38:51 pm
is it possible to mount and modify the img files under windows? It would be easier to preset the image, than modifying the running system.

No, Windows doesn't support the ext4 file system.  You could probably run linux in a virtual box and mount the img file from there.  I don't use windows for development, and have only run virtual linux images on windows a few times; mostly I just run linux on all my systems.
BTW DVI and HDMI is exactly the same, just the sound is the difference, so if you try with DVI it will likely to work the same with hdmi.

I won't argue with you, but a lot of people (including me) have had problems using DVI monitors with DVI->HDMI cables on Android and linux with the Allwinner SoCs.  The YUV vs. RGB color space issue is well known, and still allows the monitor to be used, albeit poorly, but many, many people have reported problems with not getting any output at all on a DVI monitor, even on the A10 kernels that have EDID support.

patwood

Quote from: sanyigz on July 07, 2013, 06:16:33 pm
I could be able to set the hdmi output to a more suitable format, as using fex guide i've found where it can be set. The problem is, is i take your image script bin, and convert it with bin2fex, it works... but to fex2bin not, even if i don't touch the previously decoded fex.
The error is E: script.fex:15: invalid character at 16. And this is not the only one. If found these characters, and this is the "-" why are these negative? The fex guide says these can't be negative. Some kind of encoding error maybe? If i delete these negative signs that won't cause problems?
This script.bin came directly from an A20 android distribution, so it's possible the FEX definition was extended (I don't think it was ever formally defined by Allwinner, so the guide is based on reverse engineering the A10 script.bin files and the various published sources that read them.  I have no idea what happens if you remove the minus signs, but let us know if it works.

patwood

July 07, 2013, 11:57:25 pm #18 Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:10:42 am by patwood
Quote from: sanyigz on July 07, 2013, 06:57:57 pm
No these aren't cause problems  ;D now i've successfully set the screen mode from 720p 50hz (which is handled very badly by my vga monitor) to 720p 60hz, which is handled way better. It's still not 1280x1024 so the screen is still stretched vertically, but the fex guide says on HDMI only the SD and HD TV resolutions are supported (480p, 576p, 720p, 768p, 1080i, 1080p), however these can be surely overridden because my windows pc can send 1280x1024 through HDMI, but here i don't know how. But at least it works for now.

So did removing the -1 work?  Did you replace it with something or delete the line?
About the ethernet problems, now i did some tests monitoring with my android phone's wifi connection to my modem/router:
1. started cubie2 with your image, with disconnected ethernet.
2. After the linux started i've plugged in the ethernet cable.
3. Nothing happened, the net connection worked on my pc and the wifi too on phone
4. Then i've restarted cubie2 with connected ethernet.
5. When at boot it reached "waiting for network configuration" the wifi disappeared, and the internet access stopped on the PC
6. I've restarted the modem/router, and the net and wifi is working again
7. I've shut off cubie2 and pull out the SD card to try with android
8. Android booted with ethernet cable plugged in, wifi didn't disappeared, net connection was working.

So i'm now sure that something somehow in your linux image doing something with that router. However for me it looks like an x-file, i've never heard that a simple network client can cause problem like this, only that torrenting can cripple some network devices, but not like this.

Can you tell how much network activity is coming on the C2 ethernet line when you boot it?  I have lights on my router that flash when there's activity, and I see very little during the DHCP handshake.  ifconfig on the C2 tells me that there was very little data transmitted over the line as well.
About the script.bin i have some questions:
-dram_size value is set to 1. Is this correct? http://linux-sunxi.org/Fex_Guide says it should be the ram size in MB.
-[g2d_para] section is missing "G2D is the 2D graphic display engine on the Allwinner SoC"
-emac_used  is set to disabled (0) " 0 to disable; 1 to enable the ethernet MAC"

As far as I know, the dram fields in script.bin are ignored by the kernel.  The dram size is determined by uboot and passed to the kernel, and all the DRAM configuration and timing settings are performed by SPL and uboot prior to loading the kernel (at least this is the case with the A10's kernel; I have not verified this on the A20).

The drivers for the G2D HW aren't built into in this kernel anyway, but I'll keep this in mind if I ever start playing around with that.

Does changing the emac_used to 1 make any difference?  Obviously the ethernet port is enabled; perhaps it's not being initialized properly in your case?

sanyigz

July 08, 2013, 06:21:27 am #19 Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:39:36 am by sanyigz
Quote from: patwood on July 07, 2013, 11:57:25 pm
So did removing the -1 work?  Did you replace it with something or delete the line?

Yes it did, i've just deleted the negative signs.
Quote from: patwood on July 07, 2013, 11:57:25 pm
Can you tell how much network activity is coming on the C2 ethernet line when you boot it?  I have lights on my router that flash when there's activity, and I see very little during the DHCP handshake.  ifconfig on the C2 tells me that there was very little data transmitted over the line as well.

The network tools gui interface tells about few kbytes of network activity (15kb up, 9 kb down)

pilsbier

Hi,
imagesworks but id didn't find any serial modules.
Can you upload the modules or can you give me a  link to a good howto, to compile the modules
myself ?

I need them because i want to use the board to collect data from my solar system

I test some other distros (direct and cross compiled).
But they never come up, when i try to boot from sd-card  :(

/jörg

patwood

Quote from: pilsbier on July 08, 2013, 01:41:47 pm
Hi,
Can you upload the modules or can you give me a  link to a good howto, to compile the modules
myself ?

I need them because i want to use the board to collect data from my solar system

/jörg

I'll see if I have some time later to describe what needs to be done to build a bootable kernel and u-boot.

patwood

Quote from: sanyigz on July 08, 2013, 06:21:27 am
The network tools gui interface tells about few kbytes of network activity (15kb up, 9 kb down)

I tried this at my office on a commercial Cisco switch.  Wireshark only shows a few hundred packets from the C2 at boot time (lots of SNMP, just one DHCP request and reply, mDNS, etc.); in all < 20K up and down over the first minute or so.  IP address gets assigned and the C2 is very happy.  Sorry I can't say more about this.

Question to everyone else here: is anyone else seeing problems with DHCP vs. static IP addresses on *any* C2 distro?

ikeeki

Quote from: patwood on July 08, 2013, 07:56:31 pm
Hi,
myself ?

/jörg

I'll see if I have some time later to describe what needs to be done to build a bootable kernel and u-boot.

That would be great¡¡¡

patwood

Quote from: patwood on July 08, 2013, 07:56:31 pm
Hi,
myself ?

/jörg

Kernel building tutorial here: http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,472.0.html

sanyigz

July 09, 2013, 09:44:41 am #25 Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:58:38 am by sanyigz
Quote from: patwood on July 08, 2013, 07:59:38 pm
Quote from: sanyigz on July 08, 2013, 06:21:27 am

I tried this at my office on a commercial Cisco switch.  Wireshark only shows a few hundred packets from the C2 at boot time (lots of SNMP, just one DHCP request and reply, mDNS, etc.); in all < 20K up and down over the first minute or so.  IP address gets assigned and the C2 is very happy.  Sorry I can't say more about this.

Question to everyone else here: is anyone else seeing problems with DHCP vs. static IP addresses on *any* C2 distro?

I'll try with my old SMC router... however the cisco crap will be needed to, as it the modem, and i don't have other modem (actually, only these cisco EPC series are supported by the internet provider for docsis 3).

Or maybe with enabling emac, and setting a mac address for cubie may solve the problem.

PS: no with emac it's now it completely freezes the modem, not just the net access.

PS2: i've tried with the SMC router and it works, and gets the network configuration through DHCP, also works with android (however android was working with cisco router too, just need manual configuration).

patwood

I uploaded a new kernel+modules for the A20 that has btusb compiled in: http://dl.cubieforums.com/patwood/A20-kernel-3.3.0-btusb.tar.gz.  I was able to scan and pair with two different USB devices: an IOGear with the Broadcom BCM20702A0 chip (USB ID: 0a5c:21e8)  and a generic device with the Cambridge Silicon chip (USB ID: 0a12:0001).  These files were tested with the CUBIUNTU 0.5 distro but should work with any.

patwood

Quote from: patwood on July 09, 2013, 11:36:45 pm
I uploaded a new kernel+modules for the A20 that has btusb compiled in: http://dl.cubieforums.com/patwood/A20-kernel-3.3.0-btusb.tar.gz.  I was able to scan and pair with two different USB devices: an IOGear with the Broadcom BCM20702A0 chip (USB ID: 0a5c:21e8)  and a generic device with the Cambridge Silicon chip (USB ID: 0a12:0001).  These files were tested with the CUBIUNTU 0.5 distro but should work with any.

NAND flash access and partitioning are now supported: http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,504.0.html.  You only need to download the new kernel, no new modules; it is a drop-in replacement for the kernel bluetooth-enabled kernel quoted here.

Happy Bastille Day!

phireis

Is it possible to use pl2303 module with this image?

Rossini

hi there, can someone explain how i can change the kernel with the new one with nand support, please? i'm new to this linux/kernel/boot partition things.

thanks!
Cubieboard2 A20: Pure Debian Jessie