Author Topic: Cubieboard v2 (A20) images  (Read 73451 times)

GastonLagaffe

Cubieboard v2 (A20) images
« on: July 06, 2013, 11:05:29 am »
Salut,

I tried the cubieboard with the A20 CPU.
  • the board does not boot on the CD-card image used for the cubieboard v1 (A10)
  • the LifeSuit images in the download area are invalid (not my idea but that´s what the LifeSuit program said)
Is there a bootable SD-card image or a LifeSuit iamge that can be loaded to the board? The android comes up in Chinese and my language skill are limited to German, English and French

Ciao, Mathias

Offline patwood

• Linux geek
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cubieboard v2 (A20) images
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:57:27 pm »
I have uploaded an SD card image for the Cubieboard2/A20: http://dl.cubieforums.com/patwood/cubiuntu-0.5-A20.img.7z http://dl.cubieforums.com/patwood/Cubiuntu0.6-a20.zip.  It is based on the CUIBUNTU distribution described in this thread: http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,362.0.html.  The only differences are:

1. SPL and U-boot in boot sectors changed to A20 builds.
2. A20 uImage and script.bin installed in boot partition.
3. writesd switcher installed in /boot on root file system.
4. root file system reduced to 3.5GB to allow installation on 4G SD cards (and larger).  Be sure to run gparted or fdisk/resize2fs to increase partition size to desired value, as there's only about 500MB of free space.
5. acpid installed to allow power off via power button.
6. dhcp enabled on ethernet port.
7. root password == root

What's known to work (tested by me): ethernet, HDMI, various USB devices (including wifi and bluetooth dongles), IR receiver (w/LIRC), power switch, audio (at least over HDMI), LEDs, nand block devices; (tested by others): SATA.  See the kernel update I posted for bluetooth USB support.

What's known to not work or isn't (yet) available: Mali GPU, CedarX video acceleration, nand block device.

Note that this image can also be used on the A10 cubieboard1 using the writesd script in /boot (but you'll need to do that on a linux system).

Also note that I can't provide support for this build. If you want some specific package, you'll need to learn how to use apt-get or git/svn/make.  If you want some specific driver in the kernel that's not already there, I can't help you, but I will make new kernels available as they come along after I test them.  I may be able to provide updates for future CUBIUNTU releases, but probably not for each one, and only as time permits.

It's a card image, so you install it just like CUBIUNTU by writing the entire file to the raw SD device, either with dd on linux or a disk imaging utility on windows (never used it, but it's called something like windiskimager there are lots of tutorials on how to do this).  If you have problems installing it on Windows, you're on your own, as I don't use windows for any development work.

Edit: The 0.6 version is available.  The 0.5 image will be deleted at the end of the week.  See http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,568.0.html for details.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:56:29 pm by patwood »

ikeeki

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 01:52:47 pm »
Thanks, Ill include the link until I can give some support to cubiuntu A20
(loads of work, I start understand those who can but do not start a distro  :'(  )

Anyways, THANKS¡¡¡

Offline sanyigz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 03:57:51 pm »
I have uploaded an SD card image for the Cubieboard2/A20: http://dl.cubieforums.com/patwood/cubiuntu-0.5-A20.img.7z.

I've tried your image (i've wrote it on a 8GB sd card with win32diskimager), then tried it in my cubieboard2.
After power up the red and green led got lit up, few seconds later the blue led started to blink, and two Tux images appeared at the left top of the display, then after several second they disappeared, the monitor gone to standby, then again the same happened, and again and again.
What is wrong? I don't know if it counts, but i've not attached keyboard to cubie, just a mouse, and i'm using hdmi-> vga converter to connect it to the monitor.

Offline patwood

• Linux geek
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 12:09:50 am »
I have uploaded an SD card image for the Cubieboard2/A20: http://dl.cubieforums.com/patwood/cubiuntu-0.5-A20.img.7z.

I've tried your image (i've wrote it on a 8GB sd card with win32diskimager), then tried it in my cubieboard2.
After power up the red and green led got lit up, few seconds later the blue led started to blink, and two Tux images appeared at the left top of the display, then after several second they disappeared, the monitor gone to standby, then again the same happened, and again and again.
What is wrong? I don't know if it counts, but i've not attached keyboard to cubie, just a mouse, and i'm using hdmi-> vga converter to connect it to the monitor.
Slight problem when I copied the SD card to the .img file; lost the last couple of blocks.  I'm uploading a new copy now that should finish in 20 minutes or so.

Offline patwood

• Linux geek
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 12:28:18 am »
Upload completed:  MD5(cubiuntu-0.5-A20.img.7z)= 5dc8d0488eddeb9de68b4ceff14dc6df  size:711815845 bytes

Offline sanyigz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 06:45:05 am »
Thanks, it works now.

However i'm noticing a very strange problem: at boot it waits for 2 min at "waiting for network configuration"  (and fails) and in same time, my cablemodem/router goes mad, simply the internet access disappears from every devices connected to it, while the modem itself is reachable on its web config, and says everything with connection is OK, still, the internet not works until i restart the modem.
This happens only if i start cubieboard with your image, when it's connected to the modem/router.

By the way DHCP problems exist under the default android too, so i need to use fixed ip, but still i didn't see such connection losses with the android.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:48:42 am by sanyigz »

Offline sanyigz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 07:01:35 am »
Is there a bootable SD-card image or a LifeSuit iamge that can be loaded to the board? The android comes up in Chinese and my language skill are limited to German, English and French

Ciao, Mathias

I don't know a single chineese word, but i could set it to other language, with a youtube video. Try to search on youtube "android 4 language" and there you will likely to find a video with language change from chineese to another one. I've followed the video, looked for the same "hieroglyphs" so i could find the language setting.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:10:56 am by sanyigz »

Offline patwood

• Linux geek
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 09:40:02 am »
Thanks, it works now.

However i'm noticing a very strange problem: at boot it waits for 2 min at "waiting for network configuration"  (and fails) and in same time, my cablemodem/router goes mad, simply the internet access disappears from every devices connected to it, while the modem itself is reachable on its web config, and says everything with connection is OK, still, the internet not works until i restart the modem.
This happens only if i start cubieboard with your image, when it's connected to the modem/router.

By the way DHCP problems exist under the default android too, so i need to use fixed ip, but still i didn't see such connection losses with the android.
I'm all wireless at home.  I'll give it a try at the office tomorrow.  I do know I was able to get an IP address assigned there last week with this image, though.

Offline patwood

• Linux geek
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 12:42:21 pm »
As a reference, I have attached the diffs for my 3.3.0 kernel build.  It is based on a clone of this tree: git://github.com/cubieboard2/linux-sunxi.git and this commit: 62b5d732c9fdd22f1b3e93f36895d51777f1656c

It fixes a few problems with the default tree including:

1. Enable swap support.
2. Enable the interactive CPU governor.
3. Disable the Android "paranoid" networking code that requires all networking users to be in the inet group.
4. A problem with the uboot machine ID not matching the kernel's, generating this message on boot:

Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x000010bb).

Offline patwood

• Linux geek
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 01:00:33 pm »
Thanks, it works now.

I tried this with an Asus router running openwrt.  Since it's an ethernet switch, I can't capture any of the DHCP exchanges from my laptop, but I was able to use the network from it (hardwired to an ethernet port) during the entire time the C2 booted and got its IP address via DHCP. I also never saw a problem before with Android and DHCP or the linaro NAND install from the C2 downloads here.  What's your networking setup look like?  Do you have DHCP enabled by default on your router?

Offline sanyigz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 02:45:39 pm »
I have a cisco cablemodem+router (two in one) 4x gbit ports + wifi, with DHCP.
With C2 DHCP worked once from android when i've first enabled it, since that it only works with fixed ip set in android.

With your image DHCP not works too (waiting for network configuration for 2 min, however it does the same if the ethernet cable is not plugged in to C2), plus those strange internet connection losses. (i didn't try fixed ip on linux, as i don't have usb keyboard yet)

Another thing. I don't know if it's depending gpu, or the attached monitor, or it's configured in the linux image itself, but i have only one option for screen resolutions: 1280*720 50hz (i'm not very familiar with ARM systems)
I'll try to change that with xrandr but i wonder if it would be possible to give more options "out of the box".

Offline patwood

• Linux geek
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 03:06:04 pm »
I have a cisco cablemodem+router (two in one) 4x gbit ports + wifi, with DHCP.
With C2 DHCP worked once from android when i've first enabled it, since that it only works with fixed ip set in android.
I'll try this at the office as well, where we have a commercial Cisco switch and I can watch the network traffic by plugging everything into a hub.
With your image DHCP not works too (waiting for network configuration for 2 min, however it does the same if the ethernet cable is not plugged in to C2), plus those strange internet connection losses. (i didn't try fixed ip on linux, as i don't have usb keyboard yet)
The two minute wait is built into the CUBIBUNTU startup code, which sits around waiting for a network device to come up before switching to runlevel 2.  You can shorten this by removing the sleep 40 and sleep 59 from /etc/init/failsafe.conf.
Another thing. I don't know if it's depending gpu, or the attached monitor, or it's configured in the linux image itself, but i have only one option for screen resolutions: 1280*720 50hz (i'm not very familiar with ARM systems)
I'll try to change that with xrandr but i wonder if it would be possible to give more options "out of the box".
I don't use the GUI much on C1 or C2 (I use ssh and the serial console), so my help here is limited.  The HDMI doesn't even work on my monitor at home, which only has a DVI port and an Apple DVI<==>HDMI connector.

The GPU isn't supported in this kernel version.

I have no idea if you can change the resolution once linux has booted.  I recall reading about making changes to the script.bin file to change the default resolution.  I know that recent A10 kernel work has allowed automatic monitor resolution selection by reading the EDID parameters; however, this may not be available in the current A20 kernel.  You can find out more about modifying script.bin to searching for the bin2fex and fex2bin tools, which allow you to convert the .bin file into a text file you can edit and back again.

Offline sanyigz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 03:38:51 pm »
is it possible to mount and modify the img files under windows? It would be easier to preset the image, than modifying the running system.

BTW DVI and HDMI is exactly the same, just the sound is the difference, so if you try with DVI it will likely to work the same with hdmi.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 03:43:41 pm by sanyigz »

Offline sanyigz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 06:16:33 pm »
I could be able to set the hdmi output to a more suitable format, as using fex guide i've found where it can be set. The problem is, is i take your image script bin, and convert it with bin2fex, it works... but to fex2bin not, even if i don't touch the previously decoded fex.
The error is E: script.fex:15: invalid character at 16. And this is not the only one. If found these characters, and this is the "-" why are these negative? The fex guide says these can't be negative. Some kind of encoding error maybe? If i delete these negative signs that won't cause problems?