Author Topic: Bootable OS images - from the Wiki  (Read 4621 times)

Offline castalla

• Developer
    • View Profile
Bootable OS images - from the Wiki
« on: January 31, 2013, 08:31:45 pm »
So, there is now a list of bootable images (http://linux-sunxi.org/Bootable_OS_images).

It states:  'These should work on any Allwinner A10 based device, despite the author targetting some particular device (like the Cubieboard or the MK802). At most, to make the image compatible with your device, you will need to add the u-boot and script.bin from your particular hwpack.'

First beginner's request follows   ;D

Can somebody explain step-by-step how to add the Cubie hwpack files to another image?

(Let's assume I've got a Live version of Mint running)

Note: I've read http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,26.msg83.html#msg83 but I'm confused by the references to IPL and SPL and how these relate to u-boot and script.bin (mentioned in the Wiki).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 08:40:17 pm by castalla »

Offline lawrence

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bootable OS images - from the Wiki
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 12:31:51 am »
The uboot is specific to device.
I'd err on the side of caution and also do the IPL too.

Cubie Bootup is as follows (assuming Linux, and SD):

IPL = initial program loader - this is 8K in size and contains the code to load the uBoot
SPL = secondary stage loader - this is the uBoot, and this contains code to load our 3rd stage loader!
3rd Stage - Partition 1 with a valid Kernel Image + uboot config files.

The uBoot config files include compiled FEX files that tell the Kernel drivers how to configure things for your particular board that are A10 chip specific.  Eg what i/o pins are GPIO's, what are uart, what are lcd etc.

The SPL is unique to a hardware device as its configured differently for each board (ram speeds sizes etc are different).
The FEX (bin) files are unique to a hardware device.

So, after explaining that, when they say to make the image compatible, you'll need to do the following:

1) Update the IPL @ 32k position on the image.
(Read my post on IPL/SPL for that).

2) Replace any .bin files in the first partition with ones specific to the CubieBoard, *OR* remove those files completely (as the uBoot made for CubieBoard will default to CubieBoard presets in that case).

Let me know if thats clear enough or you need further help!

Lawrence.

Offline castalla

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Bootable OS images - from the Wiki
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:07:20 am »
Thanks!  It's getting clearer! 

I'll probably have some supplementary  questions when I actually try it.