Author Topic: Have I bricked my Cubie?  (Read 4799 times)

Abovedmc

Have I bricked my Cubie?
« on: July 04, 2013, 04:00:26 pm »
I had been able to flash the NAND with a linearo image and was beginning to learn how to add programs when I mistakingly plugged in the power source from my droid bionic lapdock which I had been using into the cubie.  On this power source it says it is a Motorola made device:  19V -- 1.58A LPS. I removed the plug as soon as I noticed my mistake. The red led began to fade and went off just as I removed the plug. Now I can no longer boot into NAND nor SD card as I had earlier.  The green led no longer lights up. Is there a way to reset the cubie or have I just fried my cubie. If it is hopeless I will get cubie2 and keep trying to learn to work with it.   :(

ikeeki

Re: Have I bricked my Cubie?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 04:20:46 pm »
reflash it with phoenix card or try berryboot, then tell us. See if you notice some changes in the shape of the components...

Abovedmc

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 06:34:22 pm »
Thanks for the idea.  I have never been able to use phoenix card since it does not see the usb port where I plug in my mSD card for writing.  I had been able to use berryboot in the past.  I'll give it another try to see if it can boot.  I have not noticed any changes in shape of components.

Abovedmc

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:05:10 pm »
I downloaded the most recent Berryboot image and wrote it to my new 8GB SD card and cubie would not boot to it.  The red light comes on at power up and just stays on.  I left the cubie running 30 min just make certain nothing was happening. 

Any further ideas? Is there a way using the power switch and the omg switch to get the board back to a bootable condition?  Thanks in advance.

Offline lawrence

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 04:04:03 am »
You've probably fried it.

You need to stick a serial cable on and see if the bootloader pops up over serial, if not, probably you killed it.
There may be a fuse you can replace on the board though, i haven't checked closely.

If not, you'll need to send it back to Cubie and see if they can repair it for you, or buy another one, having learned your lesson of always check the voltage...

Offline diogoc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 06:05:33 am »
If you have plugged the cubie with 19V you probably have fried the power management ic axp209.
Try hold the power button some seconds, if the red led donĀ“t turn off it is the axp209.

Abovedmc

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 10:53:09 am »
I believe I have fried my cubie, but for future reference could you give me a reference for plugging in a serial cable to watch the booting process. Thanks for your help.

Abovedmc

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 10:54:31 am »
I tried the suggestion to power up the cubie and use the power button to turn it off.  The unit would not turn off.  Bad news I guess.  Would you suggest getting the new cubie2?

ikeeki

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 11:03:31 am »
Cubie 2 is still in earlier development.
If you need loads of services right now, I'd recommend cubie1.
If you can wait to see a cubie 2 developed and want to take part on that developement, better cubie2.

Abovedmc

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 11:13:10 am »
After digging around a little I found the usb wire with the bk, grn, white, and red connectors and read how to plug these (not the red) into the serial port on cubie.  I plug this into my Win7 64 computer and the driver was installed.  What would be my next steps to see if the boot sequence takes place.

ikeeki

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 11:16:46 am »

Offline patwood

• Linux geek
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 11:30:30 am »
After digging around a little I found the usb wire with the bk, grn, white, and red connectors and read how to plug these (not the red) into the serial port on cubie.  I plug this into my Win7 64 computer and the driver was installed.  What would be my next steps to see if the boot sequence takes place.
Get a terminal emulator like putty(?) and connect to that port with a baud rate of 115200.