December 08, 2019, 11:54:38 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Any support for 3D gaming

Started by Jaychadw, July 03, 2013, 02:35:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaychadw

Hi  I'm new here and I am thinking of getting one of these boards. The look perfect for what I need.  I was just wondering if it can handle small 3D games.  I plan on using Ubuntu with it.  I'm guessing that windows CE cannot be used on it.

ssvb

There don't seem to be many open source OpenGL ES compatible 3D games. You can try to check if there is anything interesting available for OpenPandora or Raspberry Pi, and we can test it on the CubieBoard.

I know that there are multiple OpenGL ES ports of Quake 3 (everyone tries to demonstrate Quake 3 in youtube videos on various ARM hardware). But Quake 3 needs data files from the original games, so nothing interesting for me there :(

If you want to try just anything to verify that 3D acceleration support if working, you can run glmark2-es2 and enjoy the rotating horse :)

ikeeki

Quote from: ssvb on July 03, 2013, 04:23:08 pm
If you want to try just anything to verify that 3D acceleration support if working, you can run glmark2-es2 and enjoy the rotating horse :)

XDXDXD SSVB, you bully XDXDXDXD

Well, quake 3 original files were not a problem for me ('cause I've bought them 100 years ago), but, did not it get to work, which, on the other hand, is not so estrange, 'cause I'm not a very skilled user.

Please, if you get to make run any game, inform us Jaychadw.

Regards.

kabanya

I tried freedoom, runs well but not on opengl, other 3d games, 2d too, do nothing. I want to add ps3 wireless pad, with no succes at the moment, and play emulators from nes to n64, but if the mali400 driver can´t run simply games, like tux kart racer..., the same with n64 i think.

Sorry for my bad english.

ikeeki

Lawrence has the key to run some emulators...

ssvb

Quote from: kabanya on July 03, 2013, 04:41:22 pm
I tried freedoom, runs well but not on opengl

The 2D games (relying on software rendering) should work just fine.
Quoteother 3d games, 2d too, do nothing

Which games exactly? What have you tried to do to run them? What was the expected result? What did you get instead? Sorry for flooding you with questions, but nothing can be done until we get a bit more information.
Quote... if the mali400 driver can´t run simply games

Mali400 can run OpenGL ES games, the problem is that such open source games are hard to find. Many OpenGL ES compatible games are only distributed as binaries for Android. I have not tested Android on CubieBoard, but probably they should work fine.

But if we are talking about Linux, then we need the sources of the games to compile them (and fix problems if necessary).
Quotelike tux kart racer.

By doing a quick search, it looks like tux cart racer is using Irrlicht as the 3d graphics engine. So we need to get Irrlicht up and running first. Some OpenPandora people tried to check its compatibility with OpenGL ES long ago. There is also a link to a more recent thread started by the Raspberry Pi people.

Jaychadw

Hi

I didn't expect such a massive response.  To clarify, I was going to produce a small game with unity.  Export for Linux and run on cubieboard via Ubuntu.

Great advice gonna try to see what I can find out before I buy

ssvb

Quote from: Jaychadw on July 04, 2013, 02:58:38 am
I didn't expect such a massive response.  To clarify, I was going to produce a small game with unity.  Export for Linux and run on cubieboard via Ubuntu.

You are surely welcome. Especially considering that you are the one who is planning to create new games, not just play the existing ones :)

Regarding Unity. It looks like a commercial proprietary game development framework, which targets multiple platforms and indeed has OpenGL ES support. In the case of CubieBoard, I believe that the only practical scenario for taking this Unity framework into use is developing for Android. However the community around CubieBoard seems to generally prefer more traditional Linux. There is nothing wrong with Android, just the CubieBoard seems to primarily attract a different group of people. You can also check the Android section on this forum and search for the information whether Android Market and 3D Android games run well (I myself have no clue, sorry).

The OpenPandora people have also evaluated Unity and have some information here: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/9356-unity-for-pandora-game-development/

Jaychadw

Excellent point. Just for clarity however, can servo's be controlled via c# code? It may sound off topic, but it isn't

lawrence

Yes, but you'll need a line driver circuit, as you can't directly address a servo.
Or you can do PWM and drive something.

Fairly straightforward.

script.bin - set the pins appropriately for what you need, then access the gpio's directly, or via driver.
Some bits on that here - http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php?topic=283.0

Jaychadw

excellent thank you i'll take a look

litvaO_o

clicker01

Quote from: ikeeki on July 03, 2013, 04:59:25 pm
Lawrence has the key to run some emulators...
\
Let me know the details

rgmhtt

The challenge is that there is no open MALI GPU code.  general GTK3 is a dog on cubieboards unless you have a Cubietech OS.  GTK2 is not so bad, but everything is moving off it to GTK3.

If Cubietech would provide the necessary pieces to the open development, things might be different.

For me, they are good servers.