Author Topic: A10/A20 NAND boot block access  (Read 9918 times)

Offline phelum

• View Profile
Re: A10/A20 NAND boot block access
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 04:24:49 pm »
Still there is not a way to use NAND as boot device for the whole system, but this should be possible by just flashing kernel in raw mode in NAND and loading it with UBI drivers from there. Then the rest of the userspace could be put in UBI.
I've been through the config options in the 4.7 kernel you mentioned but I find any way to get it to support NAND.  With your CT does 'lsblk' show any NAND partitions ?  I'm thinking it's unlikely that any kernel can be booted from NAND if it can't access the NAND.  For instance, how could it load modules ?

I've installed an Armbian kernel with stretch on a CT and can generate U-Boot.  I'm still sarching for config settings so it can access NAND.  I'd like an SD-card version that can load my old kernels in NAND.

Please check 'lsblk' in your 4.7 kernel and tell me what it detects.

Cheers,
Steven

Offline tilator

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2018, 06:17:17 am »
Please check 'lsblk' in your 4.7 kernel and tell me what it detects.

Hi,

I don't have it installed any more, but maybe you should use the same version I did. It's here:

https://github.com/bbrezillon/linux-sunxi/tree/bb/4.7/ubi-mlc

It seems to be vestion 4.9 even though name would suggest 4.7.

In my present installation kernel version is 4.14.7-sunxi. Only U-Boot is on NAND. Kernel having initramfs and modules are all loaded from SATA. My goal was to get rid of SD-card and this does it.

However kernel version 4.9 did show NAND but the present 4.14.7-sunxi does not.

If you want the exact source code I used to make this U-Boot and 4.9 kernel, just give me some email address to send them. I have FTP server here, but it would be extremely slow.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:48:39 am by tilator »

Offline phelum

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2018, 07:02:01 am »
In my present installation kernel version is 4.14.7-sunxi. Only U-Boot is on NAND. Kernel having initramfs and modules are all loaded from SATA. My goal was to get rid of SD-card and this does it.

However kernel version 4.9 did show NAND but the present 4.14.7-sunxi does not.
Thanks for the info.  What you've got now sounds like a new version of the setup I use which is U-Boot on NAND and everything else on SATA.  I went this way because they say NAND fails after many writes and so I figured the best thing to do is just keep static boot stuff there and get everything else from disk.

I haven't bothered updating from my old Wheezy system because it works well and supports NAND and the AP6210 (Wi-Fi).  The new Armbian kernel (4.18) supports the AP6210 but not NAND.  I can't get it to load with an old U-Boot.  But the Armbian release (stretch) will compile the new U-Boot which is good.

I've been away from all this for over a year and things certainly have changed.  People seem very critical of NAND and I guess it's not as good as was hoped.  So I'd say you've probably got the best setup at the moment.

Cheers,
Steven

Offline tilator

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2018, 08:11:51 am »
So I'd say you've probably got the best setup at the moment.

Best is a bit strong word, but it definitely fulfills my needs right now.