Author Topic: Debian 1.0 image - why is it so terrible?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline 0xicl33n

• View Profile
Debian 1.0 image - why is it so terrible?
« on: August 01, 2015, 02:53:21 pm »
My cubie arrived yesterday, i found the debian image, downloaded and flashed. The first problem is the ancient kernel, which i tried to fix by downloading a new one - yet i have no idea how to boot this kernel.

Second problem, i cant even install LXDE because it complains about udev being unable to be updated due to the ancient kernel. How did this image get out to the public? Its completely horrible. You cant update anything onboard it at all! I dont want to use LXDE as a desktop i want to use it over vnc but i cant even do that!

IS there a way to use uboot to boot the new kernel? I have downloaded 3.16

This board is over 6 months old, i cant believe no one has released a better image for it. I should have bought a freakin cubietruck, the OS options for 4 are absolute crap.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what i can do?

Offline premoboss

• View Profile
Re: Debian 1.0 image - why is it so terrible?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 01:58:53 am »
in past cubieboad (A10), cubieboard 2 and cubietruck (A20) needs long months (read: years!), to have good software support: ALWINNER (the chip producer) is well known to NOT cooperate with Community to support libre software and some parts (i.e. video driver, audio driver, etc) required reverse engeneering to write a libre verson of the driver and in some case the activity is still not finished.
I suppose also A80 will require times to have a "click-and-go" distro running on it. initially are the developer that do the "hard work" to make the board fully utilizable in its parts: if you are not  developer or a high skilled user able to do by himself but only someone that want "all, now and gratis" i am afraid to tell you that hight probably your wish will be not sutisfied, so be prepared to a long wait.

Offline 0xicl33n

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 10:26:16 pm »
i went with ubuntu mmc version, works fine and things are actually able to be installed on it.

Offline 0xicl33n

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 05:21:55 pm »
It has been an entire year and not a single new image has come out, no support, no NOTHING.

Ive scoured google looking for any support or new, more updated images for this board and there is NOTHING at all

Has this board really been abandoned?