Author Topic: Cubieboard 4 shutting down randomly  (Read 4522 times)

Offline suman

• View Profile
Cubieboard 4 shutting down randomly
« on: July 18, 2015, 08:34:57 am »
I recently bought this SBC in India from www.crazypi.com. I flashed the below image:

http://dl.cubieboard.org/model/cc-a80/Image/android/android4.4-cb4-emmc-v3.0.img.7z

The device is powered by a 5V 2A power supply and is using 2.4 Ghz Wifi to connect to the internet.  USB keyboard, mouse, external speaker and a VGA monitor are attached  (through a KVM switch).

I am getting random shutdowns (no messages visible on android screen) in the following situations:

(1) With Antutu (Downloaded from Google Playstore), the board shutdown down predictably and consistently when it is doing the floating point test. It almost happens at the same place every time i run antutu
(2) Chrome and Firefox browsers cause this same type of shutdown\ randomly if we use multiple tabs (3-4)
(3) When playing YouTube videos, the board shuts down randomly

One moment the device is fine and the very next it is completely off (like loss of power). It does not look to me like a kernel panic or software triggered. I suspect more of an hardware issue.

Anyone else facing this or similar problem or can give pointers to me on how to debug this further to isolate any android software or hardware fault ?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 10:48:09 pm by suman »

Offline suman

• View Profile
Re: Cubieboard 4 shutting down randomly
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 02:57:13 am »
More reproducible and predictable crashes at the same location:

Geekbench 3 – The system hangs (red power light behind VGA port glows, but the front green and red user LEDs stay off). This happens immediately after application is started (even before any test is executed)

CPU Prime Benchmark – On running the test (at the end of first stage prime calculation itself) the board hangs with both the user LEDs (green & red lit stably as well as the power light) either lit stably not not lit. The power LED stays ON.

3Dmark – Again the same thing happenned as with AntuTu  in Graphics Test 2. Complete loss of power and shutdown. Just udden

GPU bench – Does not start properly. Initial screen is displayed without any contents.

The Overall graphics test tend to run a bit longer. Any CPU related stress test like prime number, single core test  etc gives up fast.  Also could this by any chnace be related to wrong CPU heatsink installation ?  Before I put the heatsink, I could see some also rust colored deposit on  and around a few  CPU pins soldered to board.

Also forgot to note in my previous post that the device is CC-A80 V1.2 (2014-12-03) and not the V1.1 model (2014-08-26). Generally, I am am picking up everything from:

http://dl.cubieboard.org/model/cc-a80/

I see only 1.1 documents here.  Hopefully their are no MAJOR differences with the 1.2 version of the  board and I have not ended up flashing the wrong image.

The board if left running in idle state through the night is perfectly fine and responsive in the morning. Only when some applications are run it goes down.

Offline mr.dom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 07:47:44 pm »
The same trouble. Found it halts randomly. Usually under high load. There is nothing wrong with PSU. The problem in CB4. Get my money back suckers!

Offline premoboss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 05:44:46 am »
I suppose shutdown cames because extreme temperature.
solution: underclock the board of 500Mhz, than do test again. If it works, increase the clock of 50Mhz and repeat untill you get again problems. So you can determinate the maximun clock available for a use without unwanted shut down.

You can try also to add a passive heatsink on the SOC.

PS:
Never trust marketing related to maximum clock available: A10 and A20 can be cloacked till 1488Mhz, but i never find a A10 that can do more that 1200Mhz even if with passive heasink.

Offline mr.dom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 04:35:39 pm »
Look at attachment for how good it's equipped with heat sinks:). It is not overheated. I think the problem lies in power transmission to RAM somewhere. For the unit of $35 i won't care - just replaced it. But this costs $135!

P.S. Do you know how to change the clock?
P.P.S. Do you know how to change RAM sharing in between GPU and CPU?
I Raspberry Pi it is done fairly easy.

Offline sam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 03:06:32 am »
I recently bought this SBC in India from www.crazypi.com. I flashed the below image:

http://dl.cubieboard.org/model/cc-a80/Image/android/android4.4-cb4-emmc-v3.0.img.7z

The device is powered by a 5V 2A power supply and is using 2.4 Ghz Wifi to connect to the internet.  USB keyboard, mouse, external speaker and a VGA monitor are attached  (through a KVM switch).

I am getting random shutdowns (no messages visible on android screen) in the following situations:

(1) With Antutu (Downloaded from Google Playstore), the board shutdown down predictably and consistently when it is doing the floating point test. It almost happens at the same place every time i run antutu
(2) Chrome and Firefox browsers cause this same type of shutdown\ randomly if we use multiple tabs (3-4)
(3) When playing YouTube videos, the board shuts down randomly

One moment the device is fine and the very next it is completely off (like loss of power). It does not look to me like a kernel panic or software triggered. I suspect more of an hardware issue.

Anyone else facing this or similar problem or can give pointers to me on how to debug this further to isolate any android software or hardware fault ?

Try to  change a another power supply to If it is ok ,  The offical  standard   power supply is : 5V, 4A  .   
This is llke : https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.29.K9Ubjj&id=42052263973&ns=1&abbucket=19#detail

You can buy from this :   http://cubieboard.org/buy/

Offline allen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 03:10:18 am »
Look at attachment for how good it's equipped with heat sinks:). It is not overheated. I think the problem lies in power transmission to RAM somewhere. For the unit of $35 i won't care - just replaced it. But this costs $135!

P.S. Do you know how to change the clock?
P.P.S. Do you know how to change RAM sharing in between GPU and CPU?
I Raspberry Pi it is done fairly easy.

Hi mr.dom,i have used CB4 some time.
change RAM sharing in between GPU and CPU? You mean  release the all of the RAM ?like :

root@cubieboard:~# top
top - 07:06:49 up 52 min,  2 users,  load average: 3.04, 3.05, 2.93
Tasks: 165 total,   1 running, 164 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  0.3 us,  0.2 sy,  0.0 ni, 99.3 id,  0.1 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem:   2063980 total,   

Offline premoboss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 03:13:11 am »
>Do you know how to change the clock?

on A20 i do:

echo 30000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
echo $fmax > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo $fmin > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
echo $governor > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

with
fmax=288000
fmax=912000
governor=ondemand

>P.P.S. Do you know how to change RAM sharing in between GPU and CPU?
i think you need to modify script.bin (i am not sure)

Offline mr.dom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 08:48:58 pm »
Hi mr.dom,i have used CB4 some time.
change RAM sharing in between GPU and CPU? You mean  release the all of the RAM ?like :

root@cubieboard:~# top
top - 07:06:49 up 52 min,  2 users,  load average: 3.04, 3.05, 2.93
Tasks: 165 total,   1 running, 164 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  0.3 us,  0.2 sy,  0.0 ni, 99.3 id,  0.1 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem:   2063980 total,   

That doesn't split RAM between GPU and CPU. That just shows how much is used.

Offline eleven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 04:13:18 pm »
I have the same problem, random shut down.

I use an industrial plc power supply, 5v (adjustable) 3A.

I solved the problem of stability by raising the voltage, about 5,6volt
I have no problems but I had previously installed an increased dissipator, double than the original.

If you want to try at your own risk.

Try to  change a another power supply to If it is ok ,  The offical  standard   power supply is : 5V, 4A. 

I don't think (hope) this board can absorb 4A without a massive use of USB devices!

Let me know!!!

Offline mr.dom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 01:50:22 pm »
Thanks! That helped!