Author Topic: Linaro CB4 0.3 - current state issues  (Read 6227 times)

Offline cyberluke

• View Profile
Linaro CB4 0.3 - current state issues
« on: February 07, 2015, 11:43:05 am »
Hi,

Got working image from sd card.

Issues found so far:
-eth0 is always down, will connect only if ethernet cable is attached during system boot
-tried to uncomment wlan0 in /etc/network/interfaces, but it does not work (missing modprobe?)
-no bluetooth support
-how to test OpenGL ES 3.0? WebGL applications do not load, flash in Chromium is pixelated and slow

So far CB4 is useless for me. Two points for Firefly RK-3288 - my luck I ordered it too. They have Wifi+BT working out of the box and now they're working on GPU+VPU support.

Cannot take advantage of this development board as it is not ready for development of anything else than Android. But for Android dev, I have Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.1'' o_0

Would it be possible to have working CB4 with Wifi+BT + X11 GPU acceleration (do not need VPU right now) ?

Thanks...

Offline cyberluke

• View Profile
Re: Linaro CB4 0.3 - current state issues
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 12:12:48 pm »
Ok, so PowerGL GPU with OpenGL ES 3 works. Tested using glxgears and glmark2-es.

Offline cyberluke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 12:24:08 pm »
Got wifi working by adding line:
bcmdhd

in /etc/modules

and rebooting

This one liner should be here out of the box...this is the third CB4 Linaro image and you are not doing it for the first time :-(

Now I guess I will have to install BlueZ stack and hcitool for BT 4.0...

Offline cyberluke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 06:08:18 pm »
Another improvement: compile kernel with ftdi_sio module, so we can connect usb-to-serial devices or Arduino: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=815538

Offline cyberluke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 05:56:10 pm »
Got it solved! The problem was 'make ARCH=arm menuconfig' was not working, because the file that has to be edited is:
/cb4-linux-sdk/products/cb4/cb4-linaro-desktop-hdmi/kernel_defconfig

This thread helped me - someone was already adding usb-serial and ftdi_sio support for more usb devices in Cubie (ArchLinux): https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/commit/513fc217445aa2b6a578674c70a3b53e635528ad

Offline rz2k

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 03:37:18 pm »
about bluetooth and wifi: you need to load two firmwares for that, one for wifi part (using kernel firmware loader) and one for bluetooth part (using brcm_patch_ram tool). linaro v0.3 is missing these.

-------
another issue with linaro v0.3 - sound output using the onboard jacks doesnt work with pulseaudio.

to make it work, you need to manually fix the settings in alsamixer, cubietech - please fix the codec audio paths so it will set needed registers automatically when headphones are connected.

Offline cyberluke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 07:18:31 am »
Arrrgh...But this is Linaro CB4 build...not just standard Linaro. You are precompiling kernel with predefined pins and stuff. Why can't there be also other stuff like this in default build? If it is a build for specific board I expect it will support EVERYTHING out of the box. Otherwise those features listed on selling sites apply only for Android and this is not development board that I could start developing my own applications. For Android development I have the highest-end Samsung Note Pro 12.2 and I can debug it via USB :-/ ...I'm now starting to work on pretty big research projects and will buy a lot of those boards, but I have bought like 5 different ARM board vendors and now I'm evaluating. Octa core is nice, but for now I had better luck with Firefly quad core. They will have full-fledged Mali support in two months - officialy supported by ARM. I don't care about price or paid tech support. Because if I buy something cheap, I will have to invest my time in it anyway...

Offline rz2k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 09:40:36 am »
Got bluetooth and Wifi working using docs from http://dl.cubieboard.org/model/cc-a80/Doc/ubuntu-linaro/CC-A80-linux-usage-introduce.pdf
turns out, linaro image had needed modules and firmwares. for bluetooth you need to install brcm_patch_ram from nexus7 (avaiable in the repo).

I'm now starting to work on pretty big research projects and will buy a lot of those boards, but I have bought like 5 different ARM board vendors and now I'm evaluating. Octa core is nice, but for now I had better luck with Firefly quad core. They will have full-fledged Mali support in two months - officialy supported by ARM.
I also got cb4 for evaluation purposes (robotics - OpenCV, GLES, video dec/enc) for 100+ units project, but I'm ready for all the fuss with building up usable rootfs, I had plenty of experience with Allwinner previously. Allwinner is ok if you have good amount of time to debug everything, in the end you will have very cheap SoC doing very good. If you want to have everything out of the box - stick to something else :)

Offline cyberluke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 10:04:21 am »
Thanks a lot for the links! On Phoenix A20 I had a problem with brcm - it required to manually change some GPIO in order to put BT chip out of sleep mode for the firmware upload. I never got it to work. So I use USB-FTDI adapter with custom BT on it.

I don't like big corporations, that's why I cooperate only with China manufacturers and suppliers last two years. I understand that it requires some work at the start, but I also often support opensource. So I thought that if someone would already solve wifi+bt that it should be put in official Cubieboard image.

Offline sam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 04:44:16 am »
Thanks a lot for the links! On Phoenix A20 I had a problem with brcm - it required to manually change some GPIO in order to put BT chip out of sleep mode for the firmware upload. I never got it to work. So I use USB-FTDI adapter with custom BT on it.

I don't like big corporations, that's why I cooperate only with China manufacturers and suppliers last two years. I understand that it requires some work at the start, but I also often support opensource. So I thought that if someone would already solve wifi+bt that it should be put in official Cubieboard image.

Hi cryberiuke.  wifi is OK refer: http://dl.cubieboard.org/model/cc-a80/Doc/ubuntu-linaro/CC-A80-linux-usage-introduce.pdf.  BT has some problem in trasfer file.  it seem this is the tools  Blueman problem.