Author Topic: Quick Question About OwnCloud  (Read 3499 times)

Offline le0nard0

• View Profile
    • BuyaPi.ca
Quick Question About OwnCloud
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:23:00 am »
Hello Everyone,

I have wanted to set up OwnCloud for a while. I have a Raspberry Pi at home, but I am concerned it might not give me the performance I am looking for.

Then I found this tutorial with the cubieboard, http://syncloud.org/cubietruck.html.

The question is, is there a benefit to using a cubieboard over something like a raspberry pi for this kind of project?

Thanks!
www.buyapi.ca - best place to buy a cubieboard in Canada!

Offline premoboss

• View Profile
Re: Quick Question About OwnCloud
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:42:15 pm »
owncloud is more that 180K lines in php (read: it sucks!). on my cubieboard A10, owncloud 7.0.4 is not so fast as i wish, it means that on raspberry it will be crap. Watch your steps...

www.premoboard.net

Offline le0nard0

• View Profile
    • BuyaPi.ca
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 12:29:04 pm »
Thanks for the response!

Do that extra board make the cubieboard fast for the OwnCloud install?

Offline premoboss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:14:14 am »
Thanks for the response!

Do that extra board make the cubieboard fast for the OwnCloud install?

No, premoboad is a expansion board that add to cubieboard (a10/a20)
-2 LAN
-4 USB
-0/1/2 WIFI

but cannot improve performances: to do that, you must get faster cpu or lighter software.

By the way, premoboard is compatible with all embedded board (here the test with raspberry, https://www.facebook.com/1539387562978302/photos/pcb.1554903124760079/1554902588093466/?type=1) so you can get one if you wist to use it with your Raspberry model.

Offline Jojo

• Developer
  • Cubieboard 2 - A20, aRUNTU v1.666
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:39:37 am »
Hello Everyone,

I have wanted to set up OwnCloud for a while. I have a Raspberry Pi at home, but I am concerned it might not give me the performance I am looking for.

Then I found this tutorial with the cubieboard, http://syncloud.org/cubietruck.html.

The question is, is there a benefit to using a cubieboard over something like a raspberry pi for this kind of project?

Thanks!

Hi,

some time ago there has been an article about exactly that in a popular german technics magazine (called "c't" by "Heise"). They had an ownCloud setup on both CT and a RPi.
Their conclusion was, that the CT (or CB2) is strong enough for a serious (media) cloud, while the RPi is better to have a cloud exclusive for address books, calendars and these things on it. So generally The RPi is ok, if your needs are lower.

Greetings
Don't think that anyone will take more pains for his answer, as you took for your question.

Offline le0nard0

• View Profile
    • BuyaPi.ca
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 12:21:38 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Thanks!

Hi,

some time ago there has been an article about exactly that in a popular german technics magazine (called "c't" by "Heise"). They had an ownCloud setup on both CT and a RPi.
Their conclusion was, that the CT (or CB2) is strong enough for a serious (media) cloud, while the RPi is better to have a cloud exclusive for address books, calendars and these things on it. So generally The RPi is ok, if your needs are lower.

Greetings
Thanks for a response!