Author Topic: why i prefer the raspberry pi  (Read 4164 times)

Offline pampofo

• View Profile
why i prefer the raspberry pi
« on: January 20, 2015, 03:13:06 pm »
first,i bought a raspberry pi ...then i bought a beagle board ...and last i bought a cubieboard3

• the raspberry pi was simple to set up and get going within minutes. serves me well and is still going
  • the beagle board bricked first day it arrived
  • and the cubieboard3, well i had i hopes for it but haven't got it working since buying it. just trying to load linux onto the sd card has been a hard wall to climb, and i still haven't resolved it. so, i've packed it up back in it's box. the documentation and support for the cubieboard3/ cubietruck simply sucks

so, what did i do next? i bought 3 more raspberry pi's. why? ...because raspberry pi's documentation, community and support are excellent! raspberry pi even have easy to follow youtube vids to get started. if the cubieboard3 had been easy to follow then i would have bought additional cubieboards. so, what now? ...i'm now loyal to raspberry pi. i guess it's only time before raspberry pi release updates that might rival the cubieboard3

anyway, if cubieboard's administrators are interested in the posts their customers put up on this forum... here's my first unanswered question, http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,3477.0.html

it was even difficult to register an account on the cubieforum... weird? took me about 10 attempts, and was almost gonna give up on that too
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:23:25 pm by pampofo »

Offline actkk2000

• View Profile
Re: why i prefer the raspberry pi
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 10:21:26 pm »
I have a Raspberry Pi, a Banana Pi and a Cubietruck...
Each one has its pros and cons...
You just have to find out how they could fit a purpose and have fun with it.
For instance:
http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,3147.0.html
http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,3150.0.html
http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,3163.0.html
http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,3164.0.html
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:23:26 pm by actkk2000 »

Offline phelum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 03:33:36 pm »
I agree that the RPi is a good entry point to the SOC world.  And that it will probably still be supported long after the CT has been superceded.  The OP is correct that documentation and the forum are  good and that it's much easier to setup a RPi than a CT.

But the RPi is a bit small and limited for most things I think.  This is why I soon moved to a CT which is still my preferred tiny computer.  The extra grunt and onboard peripherals make a big improvement.

Recently I bought a Jetson TK1 because I needed OpenGL support.  It is more powerful than the CT and does some things very well.  But support and onboard peripherals are limited.

The CT is a nice package.  Add a SATA HDD and a USB hub and you've got a tiny PC with wifi and bluetooth.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
Steven
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:55:15 pm by phelum »

CubieNewb

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 09:09:40 pm »
I have to agree with the first poster. I bought my CT a week or two after it was first released in Nov. 2013.

The first Linux OS, Lubuntu was awful, most things didn't work, etc.

It's slowly gotten better and I check here regularly for OS's, but so far NONE of the operating systems seem to work completely, and I've tried at least 15 or 20 to date. There's always some issue - video playback, HDMI audio not working properly, posting here for questions and support takes days, weeks, or months for a reply.

After weeks of trying I posted my own Lubuntu setup instructions, which helped many, and then finally a week or two later the second OS was released.

For newbs to the Linux world, you too often get answers here that are for expert users: for instance, if and when you get a reply, it may be "edit this file /etc/blah/blah" or simply edit the conf file to say "xyx" - but without instructions that the full command would be something like "sudo nano /etc/blah/blah" and how exactly to do it, where as Rpi community is much better with all of this.

I have an Rpi B+ (14 months) and an Rpi 2 - quad core, 1gb, which is very nice - and possibly faster than the CT in many aspects... and... everything works and I ordered it 5 days after release - which was I think Feb 3, 2015. It arrived less than a week ago. It's up and running, wireless works, camera works, etc...

So far, of all the OS's, Cubieuntu I think was the best, but discontinued... Then it was Cubieez 1.0... then looking for 8 months nothing, and no one had posted that Cubieez 2.1 and 2.2 had been posted to cubieboard.org (in their own threads). You have to search through the threads to find it... but alas! with these two operating systems, my mouse is about 3/4th of an inch offset when trying to use it - what a pain! I've found nothing to correct it and no other posts here. HDMI audio is also not working, though it's the HDMI audio version of the OS. I've not gotten it to work yet.

When looking for solutions with the Rpi, it normally only takes seconds or minutes, and, of course, Rpi is made in England so the instructions are in clear, simple to understand - English, not Chinglish or broken english / Slovenian, Russian, Serbo-Croat, Spanish (no offense to any of these people), etc. Ja Precem malo Srpski.

I DO really like that the CT has bluetooth, SATA, Wifi, etc, built in, but, until Cubieez 2.1, I don't even think anyone had the bluetooth working well - which was released in like Sept. 2014, almost a year after I got my CT. I don't think this version is said to work well with BT either.

Then there was the awful stealing of this website by one of the mods, which took months to get things back to normal here again.

CT is a great product, and I'd buy the CB4 if it had SATA still, with that 8 core processor, it's probably really fun... but, when will an OS be out? A year, two years? Would we ever get one that really works?

Although I'm attempting to submerse myself in Linux and really learn it, having a community that was more proactive and helpful with creating a solid market for these great little computers would really add to the experience.

Right now the CT is not something I would ever give my 8 year-old to play with, but I have no hesitation at all with giving him either of the Rpi's.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:59:12 pm by CubieNewb »

Offline phelum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 07:44:25 am »
I DO really like that the CT has bluetooth, SATA, Wifi, etc, built in, but, until Cubieez 2.1, I don't even think anyone had the bluetooth working well - which was released in like Sept. 2014, almost a year after I got my CT. I don't think this version is said to work well with BT either.

CT is a great product, and I'd buy the CB4 if it had SATA still, with that 8 core processor, it's probably really fun... but, when will an OS be out? A year, two years? Would we ever get one that really works?

Right now the CT is not something I would ever give my 8 year-old to play with, but I have no hesitation at all with giving him either of the Rpi's.
I think everything is working fine on my CT.  Loading BT firmware was a hassle.  Lirc needs patches to do anything useful.  So maybe it's not easy but things do work with a bit of fiddling.

One great thing about the CT is that it has lots on onboard peripherals.  One terrible thing about the CT is that it has lots of onboard peripherals.  What I mean by this is that the extra features are good but it makes things like kernel upgrades harder because the drivers have to be rewritten.  I'm running sunxi-next (now 4.0.0) here but it doesn't support things like NAND yet.  The 3.4 kernel is fine and does support all the CT extras as far as I know.

I agree that the RPi is a better entry machine than a CT.  The RPi 2 does have enough grunt to be useful.  It's on back-order here in Aus until April so it must be selling well.  But it really needs a powered USB hub if you want things like a HDD and dongles to match the onboard features of the CT.

As they say, Linux is for people who don't have enough trouble with Windows.  I've had to learn and do so much to get my RPis and CTs working properly.  But it's good to be off the MS ship now and out in the free world.

I still think the CT is better than the RPi.  I'm not interested in the A80 and have gone for the Jetson Tegra instead.  Seriously powerful and it does run OpenGL.

Cheers,
Steven

Offline AndiBcool

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 01:25:18 am »
Well the biggest issue with the Cubietruck is the software support.
The SoC itself is very nice, but without software support from the producer of it, its pretty much hard to do anything good with it.
My two cubietrucks where not much in use untill now.
I had a lot nice plans to use on the CT, but a lot things i could not do because of the software and my limited linux knowlegde.
The few ppl that really develop software for the CT u can count on one hand.
I tryed Slovenias image, that did work pretty good if you want a server setting.
For desktop i have aruntu running.
Lately i also have a linaro ubunto running on one of my CT for server. Just because someone did all the nessesary work to use the CT as server and NAS with seafile and Baikal.
Just because it works and i didnt need to do much myself.

As for the Cubieboard 4, i think it has a big flaw. No Sata port.
Aside from that no software either.

Really sad, the cubietruck is really a nice SoC, but it will never be so sucess full like the raspberry pi.

I have 3 RPi. Acutually i use one as a webcam and two for internet radio with LCD and stuff.
Basicly u can do a lot things with it very easy but the SoC sucks imo.
Dont know how good the the RPi 2.0 now is. I dont want to order one since im kinda dissapointed with the other 3 RPi.

im still impressed what you can do today with thouse tiny SoCs. I would say the Cubietruck can replace some office PC. I wonder what we will have in 5 years.     

Offline beerstein

• two beers or not two beers that is the question
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 12:15:35 pm »
since I tested the new RASPI 2 with the latest Raspian OS I must say that is the best I have ever seen from a SoC.
I used so far: Old CB1, newer CB1, CB2 and Cubietruck.
I do a lot of video and sound. The video on the new RASPI 2 is like on a real desk top computer. No delays no stutter.
The Raspi B+ is not bad but for video also too slow.
In short:
I think that cubieboards are better for servers and almost anything else except video.
When it comes to video and sound - there is no question any more - since RASPI2 is out.

Offline AndiBcool

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 09:31:55 pm »
Does the RPi 2 come with the video licences now ?
If Movieplayback is that good on it, i think its a really good cheap playback device.

However i still use my Himedia HD600A for that.