December 09, 2019, 09:46:04 pm

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Minimal Kiosk Browser

Started by brunoaduarte, November 17, 2014, 01:43:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brunoaduarte

Hi,

I need to set up my Cubieboard3 (Cubietruck) to work as a standalone kiosk web browser to open some website and keep displaying it.

I used to do it with Raspberry Pi using the Minimal Kiosk Browser
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=40860

Can someone point me the directions to do the same with Cubietruck ?

Is it somehow possible to install the original Google Chrome on Cubieboard ?

Thanks

tinx

November 17, 2014, 04:23:54 pm #1 Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:44:05 pm by tinx
Hi brunoaduarte,

as I pointed out at the German forums, one possible way would be using an auto start entry like this:

#!/bin/bash

# Infinite loop restarts browser if it crashes or is closed
while true; do
    # Roll back Chromium's configuration folder to clean state
    rsync -a --delete $HOME/.config/chromium_fresh/ $HOME/.config/chromium/

# Run Chromium in kiosk mode
    chromium --kiosk http://my.website.xyz
done

For using this script you would set up an initial profile and place it at $HOME/.config/chromium_fresh/. The script then always rolls back the actually used profile to that state and restarts Chromium if it is closed. That way you also don't get the session recovery that would pop up after the browser is closed in an unclean way.

You could install it by placing for example a file called kiosk.desktop in your local folder $HOME/.config/autostart/, containing something like:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Chromium Kiosk
Comment=Starts Chromium at login time in an infinite loop, making it respawn if it dies
Exec=/home/your_user/path-to/autostart.sh
Type=Application

Sincerely

tinx

PS:
Please keep in mind that you would have to take care of using an unprivileged user and remove sensible keys from your keyboard to make it slightly safe. Giving people physical access to a computer is potentially a risky matter.

nbrew

Hello.

Which os distro would be a good candidate for giving this a try?

Thanks!

Nathan

tinx

Hey,

you could basically choose any distro. I don't use my Cubie with a graphical system, so I cannot suggest a good and easy solution. But a Debian or Ubuntu spin would be a good choice because they have a big user base and you should choose one with a lightweight desktop environment (like Xfce, LXDE) or even only a window manager (like Fluxbox, Openbox, etc.) to keep hardware requirements down to a minimum. Desktop environments are probably easier to use because they usually start apps from $HOME/.config/autostart/ while choosing a window manager could be even more resource friendly.

Sincerely

tinx

brunoaduarte

Thanks for the replies.

Here's what i did, as i don't need any desktop:

- Installed Cubian Nano (www.cubian.org).
- Installed xinit / matchbox-window-manager / chromium-browser
- Launch Chromium from terminal like this "xinit chromium-browser"

That's all.

Thanks