Author Topic: The Cubietruck chronicles - Chapter III: Digital PhotoFrame destiny - Part 2  (Read 5509 times)

Offline actkk2000

• View Profile
Hi people!! :)

This is the next part of chapter III http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,3163.0.html
Acronyms:
CT = Cubietruck
DPF = Digital PhotoFrame
TFT = 7" TFT display

To continue on this, another step would be to add a power button bigger than the onboard power button which is too small to handle (even with Ewell case).

So I soldered two pins on the two holes located next to the onboard power button and from there I attached a push interruptor. It has two states, push once to close, push once more to open.

This was preferable to a push button because despite it will be needed to push twice to turn on or off CT, still will be easier than holding the button for a copule seconds, specially for an older person.

Here the pictures on how the button and VGA to RCA conversor were mounted on the acrilyc case:

These are pictures with the 12V fan attached to a side of the case, to push hot air away from CT and the bottom of the VGA to RCA conversor:

Here doing the final tests before to move it to its final destination:

CT is currently located over a computer desk, hidden behind an All in one computer. While the TFT is located nearby CT, on a shelf where former DPF was placed before. After booting on Android desktop and start XMBC, it has 1 minute of delay until slideshow screensaver finally starts, and 15 secs between random pictures.

CT can be turned off by pushing the interruptor, this action triggers a shutdown of the Android system.
And here a video showing how it's finally working (click to enlarge):

As a conclusion, I have to say that no matter how expensive this may look, in the end it has been a cool experience that took a year to be completed (considering from the moment I bought CT on november 2013 until now).

I also hope people have not been offended by this article, I now most of you are Linux fans and you hold high expectations on cubieboard products, specially CT since it is a product designed for much more interesting things than just a dumb DPF running Android...

But this situation is much better than keeping a u$s 100 paperweight, as it was until I came up with this "crazy" idea. In any case I can go and rescue CT anytime if needed, the only thing is to bring a better DPF to replace it...

But I have to thanks CT for all the good and bad moments. During this time a learned a lot from CT, from compiling driver modules on Linux to debug through serial port.
I hope you also have the fun of your lives with this product, or at least to have more luck than me!!

Thanks for everything and see you around! ;D

THE END... ?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 02:18:41 am by actkk2000 »

Offline ponyatov

• View Profile
Did you try to rotate case into vertical orientation ?
Vertical aligned boards gives you much more cooling efficency due to convection,
maybe it will give you ability to swith off or dramatically speed down blower.
Don't forget to make gap at bottom of vertically setted case to give cool air inlet.

Offline ponyatov

• View Profile
I'm very suprised why acrilic 2D cutted cases so popular ?
In my local place thin 4-6 mm aluminium / Dural D16 more cheaper then polycarbonate.
And metal case (4mm I think is the best) let make M3 threads for assembly, and have more heat dissipation & transfer

Offline actkk2000

• View Profile
Thank you for your suggestions ponyatov!
Will keep them in mind next time I need to make some modifications.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:29:32 pm by actkk2000 »

Offline actkk2000

• View Profile