Author Topic: Cubian X1 is out ;)  (Read 12317 times)

Offline cubieplayer

• View Profile
Cubian X1 is out ;)
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:30:31 pm »
Link: http://cubian.org/2014/10/08/cubian-x1-is-out/

I'm pleased to announce a new version of Cubian is out. The version name is X1. It's highly recommended to upgrade to this version. It resolved all the known problems in the previous releases.

The new version supports all cubieboards currently released by cubietech. HDMI and VGA image is separately packed for the sake of convience. Our wiki has a great tutorial on how to use VGA output.

Cubian is dedicated to make Debian running on cubieboard easier, faster, safer. It has three types to suit your needs.

Nano text mode
Nano+headless text mode but without display support, no reserved memory.
Desktop MATE desktop with hardware acceleration, chromium browser with flash support
Please read Get started with Cubian if you are first on using Cubian. The rules still working if you aren't customize anything. Read Install Cubian if you don't know how to install.

Hilights
Cubian X1 has a configuration tool called cubian-config. It is adopted from raspi-config. It will run at first boot, let you choose your password, locales, timezone, keyboard layout and more.

The login screen has changed it's style. The login manager still is SLiM.

Desktop enviroment has changed from LXDE to MATE

One more thing
We use bittorrent to publish the new images to saving money on hosting charges. Kindly please help seeding at least 30 minutes after your download is complete to make others downloading faster. I aslo use my cubieboard as a seeder (with cubian x1 of course XD) at home working all days.
Cubian:http://cubian.org/ Cubian  Helpdesk:https://github.com/cubieplayer/Cubian/issues

Offline actkk2000

• View Profile
Re: Cubian X1 is out ;)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 01:05:34 pm »
Thank you!  ;D

Offline Montala

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 05:07:09 pm »
Hi,

Is this version of Cubian X1 also suitable for use with a Banana Pi, which I understand has a very similar board to the Cubieboard v2?

Thanks!  :)

Offline GeorgeIoak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 05:45:51 pm »
Do you have a list of what changes there are?

Offline Mantuan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 05:07:44 pm »
Hello,

I'm trying to install Cubian X on Nand with Linaro system and also with Android and both return the error below:

Code: [Select]
Check partition table
Formating NAND devices
mke2fs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
Mount NAND partitions
mount: block device /dev/nanda is write-protected, mounting read-only
NTFS signature is missing.
Failed to mount '/dev/nanda': Invalid argument
The device '/dev/nanda' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?
cubie@Cubian:~$

Someone else had the same problem and managed to fix it? I couldn't find any information about it.

I thank you and excuse my english.

Thank you,

Mantuan.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:26:24 am by Mantuan »

Offline pcklee123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 08:00:35 am »
I have the same problem. it seems cubian x1 can't access the nand at all.
sudo mount /dev/nandb /media/nandb doesnt work either even though I can boot up lubuntu from nand.
but it is very nice. videos play well and retroarch works great as well.

Offline JSOB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 02:55:02 am »
1. I made the installation of XBMC from repository. But the movement in XBMC menu is very slow. Does it solve?

2. I need kernel 3.10 and higher. Kernel 3.4 not supported my DVB-T USB RTL2832U, R820T. :-( In Raspberry PI DVB-T USB working OK.

Otherwise Cubian very good.  ;)
Sorry formy English.

Offline Gasz2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 08:51:09 am »
I use Cubian R4 headless, but with X11 installed to access throw VNC. What version must I use if I update to X1 ?

Nano-headless could be use to install X11 and VNC ?

Thanks for your Job.

Regards, Gustavo.

Offline zuzzuz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 11:36:25 am »
Hi, i tried this distro, but when i try to boot sd with S.O. my system remain on screen with cubian X.
I did the Microsd with dd if=PATH_TO_CUBIAN of=/dev/YOUR_DEVICE bs=4096; sync
I have a cubieboard2 do i need to setup something before use it? do i need to configure somethin?

Offline beerstein

• two beers or not two beers that is the question
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 06:05:11 pm »
Hi: Is your CB2 still booting from nand, when the sd card with Cubian X1 is removed?\Is ist booting other OS from sd card?

Offline topher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 08:53:40 pm »
I've been using X1 to set up a wireless router/bridge and it's working well from SD boot. I'm not trying to use cubian-nandinstall to move it all to nand but it simply doesn't work. After running the command I see a bunch of partition checks and formatting etc. but it stops with:
Code: [Select]
mbr: version 0x00000200, magic softw411
2 partitions
partition  1: class =         DISK, name =   bootloader, partition start =      128, partition size =     2048 user_type=0
partition  2: class =         DISK, name =        linux, partition start =     2176, partition size =        0 user_type=0
rereading partition table... returned 0
Check partition table
Formating NAND devices
mke2fs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
Mount NAND partitions
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

How can it not have the correct filesystem type at this point. It seems like this could never work if it's trying to mount a partition without having the filesystem type set. I'm baffled - has anyone got this to work ever? Presumably it's an ext3 or ext4 partition given that the message from mke2fs is directly above but why isn't this coded into the script... weird. Help, anyone?

edit: I have tried more on this and still had no success. Googling around led me to use LiveSuit to install the Lubuntu nand image. This worked ok and I could boot on it. Then coming back to this cubian-nandinstall I would get partition table errors. Repeating several times seemed to get past that and went as far as the format step, and then got the same error as above. No filesystem type. Looks like it's just not possible to get Cbian to run on Nand on my Cubieboard2 for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:18:24 pm by topher »

Offline zuzzuz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 06:57:15 pm »
Hi, i tried this distro, but when i try to boot sd with S.O. my system remain on screen with cubian X.
I did the Microsd with dd if=PATH_TO_CUBIAN of=/dev/YOUR_DEVICE bs=4096; sync
I have a cubieboard2 do i need to setup something before use it? do i need to configure somethin?
Hi i tryied again with a new microSD but same problem, i only see a splash screen and freeze there.
Someone can help me?

Offline sanyigz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 09:43:19 am »
Hi

Can i do something to get newer packages from apt-get? There are really ancient 2-3-4 years old packages in wheezy repositories.

Offline sanyigz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 06:38:11 am »
Will be a distro upgrade for this?