News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

CubieTruck to Mini-ITX mask [call for testers]

Started by tinx, July 17, 2014, 03:18:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tinx

July 17, 2014, 03:18:06 pm Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 03:13:10 pm by tinx
Hi folks,

I just wanted to let you know and ask you for feedback about one of my current projects. I am developing a mask to fasten a CubieTruck on the Mini-ITX mounting used in many small casings.

The project is documented in the German forums at forum-cubieboard.de, so I will just drop the Files here for you to take a look at. Please take it as a work-in-progress and expect rough edges and false measurements here and there. I have not yet built a real mask from sheet metal to verify measurements.

EDIT 2016-04-09: The German CubieBoard forums are dying. I moved the project over to GitHub and translated the build stories into English.

Project home: CubieTruck-MiniITX on GitHub

Regards

tinx

tinx

Hi guys,

I took care of the screw holes. 3 mm diameter should be sufficient.

Sincerely

tinx

tinx

For version 0.5 I began with the I/O shield.

Greetings

tinx

tinx

Version 0.5.1 with minor optimizations.

slovenia

Nice job.  8)  I am also planning to construct acrylic wall mount case for Cubietruck, 3.5inch drive, large USB hub, switch and a PSU unit.

There is no drawing to share since I still wait for some parts / technical specifications.

BTW. What is the distance between CT board mount holes? I was looking for this in documentation but couldn't found, maybe I overlooked.
Debian and Ubuntu images with kernel 3.4.110, 4.3.3, 4.4
http://www.armbian.com

tinx

July 18, 2014, 06:43:20 pm #6 Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:46:58 pm by tinx
Hi slovenia,

thanks for the reply. I will put your request on my to-do list and add the measurements soon.

I will have to remove the stock casing from my CubieTruck to take better measurements. Maybe I do that tomorrow or on sunday.

I personally much prefer metal casings, but I'm looking forward to hearing about your project. Please send me a pm or reply when you have posted some more information.

You mentioned technical specifications. If you have a good source for some of the measurements, I would be glad if you shared it with me. I took all measurements from a pc tower casing and my CubieTruck by hand.

Regards

tinx

tinx

Good morning,

here are the measurements you requested. I will correct the Mini-ITX mask soon.

Greetings

tinx

tinx

Version 0.6 with above measurements and less clutter. ("Missing" parts still available via source file.)

tinx

Version 0.7 with separate I/O shield.

Keep in mind to add some extensions for screwing it to your casing.

tinx

Some photos of my measurement verification process this sunday :)

More photos with higher resolution at the German forums: Mini-ITX-Schablone für den CubieTruck nachbauen

tinx

Corrected one of the Mini-ITX drill holes for version 0.7.1.

tinx

Version 0.7.2: Correction of the same screw hole by 1mm.

tinx

Version 0.8 has wings added for fastening the I/O shield on the small low price casing Chieftec IX-01B-OP.

tinx

August 03, 2014, 03:16:41 pm #14 Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:19:31 pm by tinx
Another sunday at the workshop. The process of creating the I/O shield in a nutshell:

• Cut or saw the sheet metal into shape.

• Dent and drill the holes marked on the mask. (Set multiple holes along the lines of inner rectangular openings.)

• Remove pieces of metal from inner holes using a side cutter, etc.

• File openings into shape and place the product on the mask to see if it fits the drawings.

Repeat the last step until the product suits your needs.