October 22, 2019, 09:45:56 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

What to expect

Started by skinlee78, April 21, 2013, 10:40:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

skinlee78

Hi all,

I am very interested to buy a cubieboard. I already have some expereance with the raspberry pi, and I very well love to use it, although I hate the lack off power. I hope to find a more powerfull device capable to play multimedia but also  be able to have enough power to launch a NX server. Right now i'm using a P3 900mhz with 512mb internal memory to serve NX server job. I'm not very happy with the performance, but they are sufficiant enough to do the job. I hope to combine a multimedia pc which will be used in the evening, and a NX server, which will be used during working days in a low power consuming device.

Cubieboard seems very powerfull for me. My idea is I can use it as a multimedia server attached to my tv, but even if this idea fails I can use it as a highly configurable NAS using the SATA connector. My worries are most about the communion. I am no linux guru, i'm just a simple user. Not afraid to use the terminal, but i'm only capable of following clear instructions.

Is cubieboard mature enough to replace a full functioning remote desktop. Is cubie powerfull enough to have the same multimedia (XBMC) expeariance as RPi? Will the community supply sufficiant support for the more inexperienced users?

verysofttoiletpaper

The problem with the cubieboard is the lack of community. Trying to get XBMC to work but it seems it doesn't have the same performance than it has on the cubieboard, even though it has better hardware.

patwood

Quote from: verysofttoiletpaper on July 21, 2013, 02:49:13 pm
The problem with the cubieboard is the lack of community. Trying to get XBMC to work but it seems it doesn't have the same performance than it has on the cubieboard, even though it has better hardware.

The big problem right now is that the CB2 doesn't have the hardward video decoder working, so anything like VLC or XBMC will fall back to software decoding.  This is something that's in the work queue, but various other things have higher priority (e.g., 2D/3D HW rendering, getting the 3.4.x kernel working on the CB2).

For the record, it took several months after A10 devices started showing up for a working XBMC to be available.

jayjohnson600

July 24, 2013, 02:52:16 pm #3 Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:54:29 pm by jayjohnson600
What to expect?

I read through the forums before I made my purchase, but my expectations have not been met.

For comparison, I had multiple images up and running in Raspberry Pi in 30 minutes.

In 2 weeks, I've tried 3 images and none have worked.
I've been flipping back and forth over multiple forums looking for crumbs of info on setting up my Cubieboard A20. Others are reporting working images(wish I could get there), but kernels are still missing lots of functionality. Great hardware means nothing if it doesnt have full function, or in my case doesn't work at all.

So, I'm waiting for more posted info for entry level folks, then hopefully I'll get my Cubieboard actually doing something. Right now it's gathering dust, watching my Raspberri Pi run.

Jay Johnson