September 20, 2019, 05:50:36 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

cubian-nandinstall with latest cubian for cubietruck

Started by sebulba, March 13, 2014, 05:31:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sebulba

I have recevied a nice latest cubietruck last month, and have installed latest official cubian desktop on my SD : running.
once i try do cubian-nandinstall it, it wont boot : 15% progression bar blocked forever.
someone can help ?

Tar

If this is still actual:

This worked for me:
* First grab an lubuntu image and flash it via FEL to the NAND
* boot, see if works, shutdown
* boot from your sd-card
* repartition nand with nand-part but DON`T touch the first partition:
nand-part -f a20 /dev/nand 32768 'bootloader 131072' 'rootfs 8388608' 'UDISK 6389760'
* create filesystem on second partition
* copy relevant files
* maybe exchange kernel and script.bin on the nand partition
* adopt uEnv.txt to your rootfs: beware! naming changed from nanda, nandb,... to nand1,nand2,...
* boot and enjoy :-)
CT Rev.B|Cubian@Nand/ 3.4.79
A20Olinuxino|Debian/ 3.4.79

cubieplayer

Quote from: sebulba on March 13, 2014, 05:31:30 pm
I have recevied a nice latest cubietruck last month, and have installed latest official cubian desktop on my SD : running.
once i try do cubian-nandinstall it, it wont boot : 15% progression bar blocked forever.
someone can help ?

This problem has been fixed, please update to the lastest cubian-nandinstall

ThunderBRZ

Cubieplayer

many thx 4 ur work !!!

Now works fine in my ct nand.

liquidxtc13

Quote from: cubieplayer on May 31, 2014, 01:28:19 pm

Do you by "please update to the latest cubian-nandinstall" mean updating the repositories and performing an update? Or do you mean pulling it from your git repository?

Because I've just done a cubian-update and then a cubian-nandinstall, both with sudo. But when I shutdown, pullout the sd card and power up, my cubietruck doesn't boot, whats wrong with it?

cubieplayer

Quote from: liquidxtc13 on June 02, 2014, 05:25:52 pm
Quote from: cubieplayer on May 31, 2014, 01:28:19 pm

Do you by "please update to the latest cubian-nandinstall" mean updating the repositories and performing an update? Or do you mean pulling it from your git repository?

Because I've just done a cubian-update and then a cubian-nandinstall, both with sudo. But when I shutdown, pullout the sd card and power up, my cubietruck doesn't boot, whats wrong with it?

apt-get update
apt-get install cubian-nandinstall

liquidxtc13

Quote from: cubieplayer on June 03, 2014, 12:34:54 am
apt-get update
apt-get install cubian-nandinstall

That's pretty much what I've done. Although I did a 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. I've also tried 'apt-get install cubian-nandinstall'  but I got an already up-to-date message..

Tried the nandinstall script again this morning. But after shutting down and pulling out the SD card, the cubietruck doesn't boot anymore

ThunderBRZ

Yes liquid...

Install LUBUNTU in nand (phoenix install) and boot

After reinstall cubian

liquidxtc13

Quote from: ThunderBRZ on June 05, 2014, 12:25:45 am
Yes liquid...

Install LUBUNTU in nand (phoenix install) and boot

After reinstall cubian

There's no need to be rude, Thunder..

I've already installed Lubuntu into NAND, with the help of PhoenixSuite. I've then copied the Cubian image, with the image writer, to a SDHC, Class 10, MicroSD card inserted it into the Cubietruck. Then I booted, did a cubian-update, did an apt-get update and an apt-get dist-upgrade. I then installed cubian-nandinstall (apt-get install cubian-nandinstall).
I ran the script and rebooted without the card. Cubie stays red. I then repeated the whole process described above. Ran the script, rebooted with card. Then ran the script again and rebooted without the card. Still same situation..
So does anybody maybe have another idea what might be going wrong?

njordan

Is there any update on this one? I did also install Cubian via SD card, everything went fine...played arround for some days without any hickups....now installed nandinstall and also the transfer went fine with SUCCEESS message and request to remove SD card....did remove SD card and tried to reboot....but nothing happens....not even the HDMI output shows any message....tried now several times without success.....

phelum

Quote from: njordan on June 28, 2014, 03:37:45 am
Is there any update on this one? I did also install Cubian via SD card, everything went fine...played arround for some days without any hickups....now installed nandinstall and also the transfer went fine with SUCCEESS message and request to remove SD card....did remove SD card and tried to reboot....but nothing happens....not even the HDMI output shows any message....tried now several times without success.....

I had the same problem and no matter what I tried it wouldn't boot from NAND.  Then I used PhoenixSuit (XP version) and downloaded the Linaro image to NAND.  After the CT booted successfully I changed uEnv.txt in /dev/nanda to reference my Cubian release on HDD.  I can't explain it but I suspect the FEL download does something special.

If you want to run from NAND I'd try the Linaro download via FEL and check it works (it should).  Then try the Cubian install again and see if it works this time.  I think it will.

If you do try this approach please reply here and tell me how it went.

Cheers,
Steven

njordan

June 29, 2014, 04:25:26 pm #12 Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:49:44 pm by njordan
Thanks Steven for your feedback, finally I did the straight forward way via PhoenixSuit Tool and installed Cubian directly in the NAND.....tricky part for all Win8.x users....you have to active advanved boot options to install the unsigned drivers....some people already had similar issues in the forum.

stupid side question, if the standard nand image for cubian is installed on my cubietruck I do not see the full 8GB NAND available that I expected (checked via "df -h") only about 4GB....is this normal? and if so...is there a simple way like for Rpi to expand the fs to the max available space?

phelum

Quote from: cubieplayer on June 29, 2014, 09:47:16 pm
I wrote a article about this issue
http://cubian.org/2014/06/30/troubleshooting-nandinstall-on-a20

Thanks for the article.  There is something special that apparently only livesuit can do.  I'd like to find out how to enable NAND boot on the CT without resorting to PhoenixSuit on a PC.  If I could do this after booting from SD card it would be ideal.  If the boot0/boot1 change (or whatever it is) requires FEL mode then I'd like to be able to do it from another CT.  I was going to ask about this recently but never composed the post.

The initial NAND layout (Android) is wierd.  The first non-FF byte is at 0x03000000 and I couldn't find anything that looked like an MBR anywhere.  I saved all 7700MB of NAND before I did anything else.  Putting an MBR at NAND addr 0 and a boot partition after had no effect.  Then I used FEL mode and loaded a kernel and bits from another CT.  The Android CT booted with this new system.  Then I tried power-off and the new CT would NOT boot the NAND Android system.  I dumped all NAND again and compared the new to the old and there were NO differences.

Once the mystery part of NAND (or whatever) has been changed, the CT doesn't seem too fussy when booting from NAND.  I've changed the name of the boot partition from bootloader to boot to fruit to test to whoknows and the CT still boots.  The critical thing seems to be that it is the first partition and that it is FAT (probably FAT12).

I did manage to trash my first CT so bad that it wouldn't even boot from SD.  Luckily FEL mode and PhoenixSuit did get it going again.  The only way I can think of to unravel this mystery is by running a USB snoop on the FEL download.  This would be tedious at best.  If anybody has any details or ideas about how to access the hidden NAND (or whatever) then please tell me.

Thanks,
Steven