Author Topic: CubieTech A80 High-performance Mini PC discussions  (Read 105112 times)

Offline FR3D

• View Profile
Re: CubieTech A80 High-performance Mini PC discussions
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2014, 04:46:45 am »
You are asking for Windows RT ??
Good question but Microsoft has to give the answer !!!!
shouldnt they support it because the Surface is ARM-based too.

Hi guys,
I did a little research on the board and apparently the board will be use PowerVR G6230 (Rogue) which apparently have better kernel support and support 4k. good news? like most comment posted I totally  agree about how Cubietech doin their business with little to none software support (though their hardware is the best value you could find) but it still gives it a disadvantage because doesnt matter how good the hardware is the software cant execute it, it becomes no use. As of posting this I also find out that third party company had just made a base board for the Cubietruck finally. So now thankfully we have some support from third party. One question for kernel expert could the next model support windows?

Reading your post, I am confused, how does the baseboard help to fix day to day problems we find with the Cubieboards, the lack of support and long term stable operation of Cubie boards can only be guaranteed by a knowledgeable software team. What cubietech is doing is putting some reference designs thru fabs and calling it a product and let open source community figure out everything on their own, not spending a dime on the software development means most proceeds from sales becomes profits since manufacturing these boards probably minimal once you have the fabs infrastructure setup.
about the new base board it have features like gps and so forth does that mean that they only make the board and you have to figure things out and make your own program to use it?

Offline sonomageek

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2014, 06:59:53 pm »
I will add my voice to the others.   It is confusing to me what the business intentions of the Cubie folks are.  Are they selling a solution or a piece of hardware.   One the one hand they seem to talk about being focused at hobbyists or those looking for a cheap PC replacement and on the other they provide little or no support of the software that is needed to create a stable platform for either of those user/buyers.   If you look at the Pi offering (I had 4 of them at one time) there is great support and stable distros...but not much horsepower to work with.  But if you try to move up the h/w food chain to get more power then it seems you are pretty much on your own unless you are a full fledged Linux systems programmer who knows C.  I had a Cubietruck and sold it because I got frustrated with the flakey distros...moved to a Quad Wandboard and things got even worse...but at least those guy are honest about selling a h/w product to skilled developers...they term their website distros as "demos" and their product is sold thru major distributors who target the commercial developer community.

If Cubie would like to sell more product they need to address this...there are a lot  more application programmers out there who like to play with these boards than Linux system programmers.   If I boot up Ubuntu on my PC...everything works and I can spend my time writing application code instead of fussing with trying to find a patch or workaround for the distro I'm running.   There's a reason the Pi folks have sold so many units...and its not just because the price is $35.   I would have no problem ponying up lots more than that for the 8 core Cubieboard but I'm not going to be Charlie Brown trying to kick the football on the deal.   I don't think that rapid h/w upgrades are a good solution for flakey distros.   Cubie needs to figure out who they want to be when they grow up.   I don't believe relying on the good nature of some solo software engineer in the Cubie community who spends their nights generating a one-off version of Linux to post on the site is a winning business proposition for Cubie or their customers.

Offline FR3D

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2014, 04:09:58 am »
Hi all,
I found out a new products also develop by people that started Cubieboard. I dont know what happened to the team but same people making to products? No wondering the community is not gettin support.
Check out this site ---> http://wiki.radxa.com/Rock/FAQ

Offline rose28357

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2014, 06:24:09 am »
Radxa uses Rockchip SoC, so you can not apply allwinner sunxi linux. It also uses PowerVR instead of MALI.

For this reasons Ikeeki has dropped radxa Aruntu devellopment  http://cubiuntu.com/2014/06/27/updated-radxa-kofr-kind-of-review/

Offline ponyatov

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2014, 01:42:29 pm »
OpenSourse  thik (up to 20mm) 7"+ tablet for developers&geeks, large GPIO outside the case (under removable cover), gps, gsm, wifi, CAN bus, not blobbed generic linux kernel with all drivers opensource, with name llike Coubie OpenPandora, large battery for infield working (science, ecology, geological and laboratory equipment control)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 01:47:32 pm by ponyatov »

Offline FR3D

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2014, 04:15:20 am »
update on the board...
I just checked out some pics of the prototype and it doesnt have sata. big disappointment :(
its here ---->https://www.flickr.com/photos/125001602@N03/sets/72157645370517326

Offline rose28357

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2014, 08:19:27 am »
There is no picture of the back side. Some Boards hve their sata connector there. Most Drives are mounted under the board. You dont need to fiddle the kable around the board then.

The layout gives a hint that it is design for TV box settops. It needs SATA !!!

Offline johndoe_71rus

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2014, 09:43:51 am »
Why big SD card?
Cubieboard2 / Android 4.2.2 / Cubieez 7.4@3.4.79+patwood

Offline rose28357

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2014, 11:12:16 am »
Notebook have big SDCards ....

Cameras have big SDCards .... (Most importend for a multimedia device)

Big SDCards are available with UHS ll !!!!

Big SDCards can have higher storage capacity

Big SDCards size does not matter on the Cubieboard layout.

My big Fingers like to handle big SDCards !
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:14:34 am by rose28357 »

Offline Fuzzlix

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2014, 12:31:10 pm »
Big SDCards size does not matter on the Cubieboard layout.
My big Fingers like to handle big SDCards !
Thats ok. And if someone wants to use micro-sd cards, he may use a adapter.

No sata would be a show stopper for me.

Fuzzlix.

Offline MikeV

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2014, 12:33:58 pm »
Look at the picture named CC-A80-Sample5. You can find micro-SATA between SD card slot and USB.

Offline patap

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2014, 12:40:36 pm »
Look at the picture named CC-A80-Sample5. You can find micro-SATA between SD card slot and USB.

It's usb3, not SATA.

Offline MikeV

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2014, 01:02:56 pm »
Oops.. :-[

Offline arrhenius

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2014, 05:53:18 am »
http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/07/01/cubieboard-8-specs-pictures/

they say usb3 and not sata too

is cubieboard 8 lacking SATA? really?

Offline rose28357

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2014, 06:51:28 am »
They have just read the picture of the cubieboard 8, but have not a official A80 specs.
So they concluded there is no SATA on the visual part of the Cubieboard 8.

I belief in Benn Huang who said there will be SATA. (until the first available boards disprove it.)

May be we should ask him direkt ?