Author Topic: CubieTech A80 High-performance Mini PC discussions  (Read 65465 times)

Offline rose28357

• View Profile
Re: CubieTech A80 High-performance Mini PC discussions
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 02:19:20 pm »
A few of the cubieforums.com resident babysitters (who used to do a great job, btw) have gone, ...
I have been one of these babysitters for month. And i am even not a IT expert. After answering the 9th question about "how can i boot from sata" or "make xmbc with 1080p available" i became angry. Non of these guys put their efford to do some research but expect other to solve their problem.

Every body how buyes a develloper board should understand that he has to devellop his own knowledge by reading infomation. Maybe here in the forum or frome the wiki or by following the kernel upstream discussion on IRC or even reading the cubietech documents on their homepage.

Only few of them described their solution here. Many of the others just stated "problem solved" but didnt share their approach with the others. Ask your self what you have contributed to the community....
Regards
A frustrated forum member

P.S. Thumb up for ssvb

Offline Tokka

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 03:44:20 pm »
Reading the topic, all i understand is that cubitech as no interest to improve all their products, but prefer to use the last product as base to develop the next more powerfull one, and so and so...
In this case, what SSVB said as a reason, to improve the new board are needed skilled peoples, not newbies or users wich only want to play with linux.
Looked in this optic, all have a sense. There is a good software base, linux-sunxi, and even if it is not well explained it is not important, coz skilled ppls knows how to use all that software.
There are only a couples of mistakes, imho:
1) 95-97% of cb buyers are not skilled (babysitter-needing) ppls, and if cubitech wants/needs to sell it's products, must show theme more respect and give theme a real full support for all the products, not only the last;
2) if peoples don't want to waste his time, and want a product wich works with no prolbems, no workarounds, and at full power, simply don't buy a develop board. Much better a mini-itx board with an atom and a full supported graphic/wifi/bt card....less work for all...developers may continue to develop without babysitting, and users may use their board without babysitters.
Easy, simple....and all live happy  ;D

Personally i bought a cb to replace my old nslu2, wich has only 32mb of ram and a 266mhz cpu, to use it as router and server; for mediacenter i bought a fanless mini itx, wich works great. For me have no sense to buy a powerfull cb than cb1. Overall because seems that Rpi now has a full hd working xbmc ;D

Cheers
Tk
CB1 (A10) - Qbee-X_TMC

Offline cubieplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 11:06:01 am »
I'm starting to doubt the philosophy of Cubietech. Of course, it is important to make improvements (like the upgrade from CB1 to CB2 for example). BUT:

Our community is still not very big. There are only a very few people who have the skills to develope things or share their distros with the rest of the "normal" members. Ikeeki has left (thanks for all!) and patwood has a lot of other things to do.

So, where the hell is the advantage to blast out one new board after another, when the OS developement process for the other boards is far away from being finished?!
Don't you think that there is a reason, why there appear posts like "What is the best distro for..." or "Is it possible to..." almost every week?! There are so many questions in the forum which stay unanswered. The community is badly spread over different hardware with to many different OS.

What do you think people will do, when they see, that their boards are obselete one month after the bought it?! Do you think the will immediately by the newer one?! I don't think so. I will keep my "old" CB2.

I think I know the reason of success of boards like the RPi: it is ONE board, ONE community. Similar constellation for other boards. And even for other whole companies!

I can only speak for myself, but I feel some kind of fooled. It is already feelable, that the support for the CB1 and CB2 is running out. There is almost no compatibility between the boards, so if the developement process goes on for the newer boards (IF it goes on...) the older boards are obelete and the owners will be left behind.

I will NOT buy a CT or a CB4 or whatever. As long as my CB2 fulfills my needs, I will keep it.

Sorry for sharing my bad mood with you, but thats how it look like. If you don't agree, please show me a counter-example. Otherwhise I don't care  :-X .

Greetings
It's chinese's style. Let me tell you why. The point is they don't want to make a great product. They just want to make a lot of money, then leave.
Anyhow, My cubian will not drop support for cb1,cb2 and ct. Actually i made a lot of improvement on it recently. It will be released in middle June. I want to make a great OS for my boards.
Cubian:http://cubian.org/ Cubian  Helpdesk:https://github.com/cubieplayer/Cubian/issues

Offline ponyatov

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 02:19:45 pm »
I don't unterstand the Cubiebaord team and the company Allwinner behind this project. With the help of 2-3 full-time devloper most of the open problems (kernel development and graphic support) can be solved.
It's OpenSource, babe :)
Hardware is big scrap of problems, which can't be solved by redeyed linuxoid in garage, and big thanx to CT for great boards (i'm waiting on this one at snailmail).

If you powered up your coubieboard, it's your time now -- make it work totally, got manuals & datasheets on hardware, and read & patch kernel sources.

Or maybe crowdfund commercial kernel hackers group to make this thing better ? It's the variant.

In any way CB is development board for linux-way hackers and maybe component for OEM device manufactures, and we have only two ways: (1) do it yourself or (2) third-party commerical support.

ARMs race (ha ha 201х will be "ARMs race age" in IT :) of CT is limited by boards price.
Some 1-2 next generations will be monolythic, but nexts will be modular I think -- some
backbone plate with power source, DIMM sockets, and lot of modules -- A20 A31 A80 AF0
cpu module, HDMI, Eth1k, FPGA interface board, signal capture/senders, HW RAID, and so on.
Modularity lets divide total system price and let user buy only needed parts.

PS: where is subscription form on A80-based netbook ? It is possible to make it's price lower then $250 ?

PSS: still interested in wall-mount version of A10 (low power consumptions need) with touch screen (TFT or maybe e-ink) for linux wallclock...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:41:22 pm by ponyatov »

Offline lampra

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 06:07:07 am »
@ponyatov
Crowdfunding the mainlining effort of linux-sunxi (and/or patwood if he is interested) might be an interesting idea.
They could intensify their effort and we could have an up to date kernel with support.
Cubietech could also "contribute" to the crowdfunding.

Offline actkk2000

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2014, 12:55:26 pm »
Seems pretty clear that people around here don't want a new cubieboard, but better and continued support for the existing ones...
The problem for me is that existing information is very scattered and difficult to find, and if you have little knowledge is frustrating not to find answers from the manufacturer ...  >:(
That's why I approached myself to this forum and fortunately I found helpful people here... Thx!

Offline AndiBcool

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2014, 08:17:48 pm »

I have been one of these babysitters for month. And i am even not a IT expert. After answering the 9th question about "how can i boot from sata" or "make xmbc with 1080p available" i became angry. Non of these guys put their efford to do some research but expect other to solve their problem.

Every body how buyes a develloper board should understand that he has to devellop his own knowledge by reading infomation. Maybe here in the forum or frome the wiki or by following the kernel upstream discussion on IRC or even reading the cubietech documents on their homepage.

Only few of them described their solution here. Many of the others just stated "problem solved" but didnt share their approach with the others. Ask your self what you have contributed to the community....
Regards
A frustrated forum member

P.S. Thumb up for ssvb
Well i apreaciate any help and i also often say thank you to everyone that does help me.
However im a Noob when it comes to linux. I try to learn and search things up but often i only find instructions that are poorly written with missing parts. Then some instructions are outdated and wont work anymore or due the different OS/ Kernelversions there are also errors. Sometimes even urgend parts missing.
So its pretty hard in general for a newbie. I can fully understand people writing the same things again and again become angry. I can only say for my part i might ask some stupid questions but i also try share it and write it down to let others know.

As for buying a Cubietruck. Well i thought i buy one and can choose between a lot different working OS images. Actually i read here and there and it seems there is not one image that fully supports all of the hardware. Some have other issues too.
In general i applaude to everyone that developes and creates working images, they have my highest respect. As for the Cubietruck it could be some great hardware and in some way its already is depending on what you want to do with it.
But i also think Cubietech need some Kernel / Software developers for every board they release.
Dishing out new hardware and let the customers do all the work for softwaredeveloping is not the right way.     
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 08:20:24 pm by AndiBcool »

Offline rose28357

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2014, 01:26:09 am »
So its pretty hard in general for a newbie. I can fully understand people writing the same things again and again become angry. I can only say for my part i might ask some stupid questions but i also try share it and write it down to let others know.
then a thumbs up !
But i missed your engagement to find a solution by digging into the forum. That is the main problem. Most of the solutions are already there.

.... and we need a sort of a wiki to document them. The tips, tricks and Guides section was overloaded with questions.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:30:18 am by rose28357 »

Offline KlotzManDo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2014, 10:53:39 am »
then a thumbs up !
But i missed your engagement to find a solution by digging into the forum. That is the main problem. Most of the solutions are already there.

.... and we need a sort of a wiki to document them. The tips, tricks and Guides section was overloaded with questions.
I vote for the WIKI document but only if it is moderated so the information in it is reliable.

<RANT>
Most of the answers in the forum are either not complete enough for a novice or assume way too much prior knowledge. This leads to a novice following instructions they expect to help them only to find that some important information was left out. Now they have to start all over, searching for help on the forum.  Asking what to some people seems like the same question all over again.
</Rant>

To put an end to the endless repeats, we need to make sure we have left no information out. If your answer assumes some prior knowledge, say so. Heck give the user a pointer to the information they require. Telling them to do another search may seem simple to you, but not to a user who is already frustrated from trying to find an answer. (In my opinion, "Let me google that for you" type answers only shows me that the writer doesn't have a clue how to do anything more than execute a search.)

If you know of a accurate tutorial, say so, then give a link. If the tutorial may have information that you know is misleading, it would help if you clarified that as well. For instance if they instruct the user to do something you know may cause problems say something like "at xxx you will be instructed to do yyy. This is misleading. You may find that by doing zzz it works better." If you know the answer and haven't found a good tutorial, write one and then refer to it. That kind of response shows that you know what you are talking about and care that they will be successful.

Heck, if you are going to put  URL as your answer, how about a synopsis so I know what the heck you are pointing to. (Most of the ones here seem like the author did nothing more that a keyword search, if that would have worked, they wouldn't have asked.) Any thing less is just showing off your ability to use <insert search engine of choice> not answering their question.

When someone asks for help again. Lets all assume that the answer we have already given was not clear or complete enough rather than assume that they are lazy.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:10:14 am by KlotzManDo »

Offline ssvb

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2014, 11:17:24 am »
engagement to find a solution by digging into the forum. That is the main problem. Most of the solutions are already there.

Well, the wiki is already available at http://linux-sunxi.org and contains a lot of useful information on different subjects. It is very actively maintained with lots of new additions happening every day. Nobody prohibits anybody from adding the cubie-specific information there (for the rare topics where it is justified and universal allwinner tips and tricks do not apply). Wiki is surely better structured than the forum and is easily searchable.

Offline rose28357

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2014, 12:20:47 am »
@KlotzManDo  i fully agree.

Offline Fuzzlix

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2014, 02:42:20 am »
engagement to find a solution by digging into the forum. That is the main problem. Most of the solutions are already there.

Well, the wiki is already available at http://linux-sunxi.org and contains a lot of useful information on different subjects. It is very actively maintained with lots of new additions happening every day. Nobody prohibits anybody from adding the cubie-specific information there (for the rare topics where it is justified and universal allwinner tips and tricks do not apply). Wiki is surely better structured than the forum and is easily searchable.
This wiki i a valuable source of information.
I hit one dificulty only: Sometimes a wiki page is a little bit older and the info was made for Cubitruck1 and does not fit A20 boards. I suggest to place a info on each wiki page showing the board type the info is valid for.

Fuzzlix.

Offline ssvb

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2014, 03:06:40 am »
I hit one dificulty only: Sometimes a wiki page is a little bit older and the info was made for Cubitruck1 and does not fit A20 boards.
Can you provide an example of such a page? Let's see how difficult it would be to fix this.

Offline rgmhtt

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2014, 09:42:14 am »
First, I am just actually starting with Cubieboard.  My first board, a C2, arrived and as soon as the HDMI/VGA adapter comes (today's mail hopefully) I can power up.  Or I will go to a local store and get a miniHDMA/HDMI adapter.

Anyway, I am a heavy Centos/Fedora user and am being pulled into Android development.  The C2 is a good starting platform for me, but I look forward to doing basic servers on CT.  As for this new board, I am all for it because it is ARMv8 and 64 bit (or so it seems).  And major Linux is getting more focused on 64bit.  RHEL 7 is 64 bit only.  Yes a Centos SIG will do a I686 port and from there a ARMv7 port, but it is clear that for a maor playing board, you HAVE to move on to 64 bit and that means the ARMv8.

I will continue to work with C2 and CT and Fedora/Redsleeve/Centos6 for some time.  But I welcome (provided the price point is good) this Ca80 board.

Now if I could only get a multi-port ethernet so I can build a router as well....

Offline ssvb

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2014, 10:26:01 am »
As for this new board, I am all for it because it is ARMv8 and 64 bit (or so it seems).
Based on what we know, the A80 board is using a Cortex-A15+Cortex-A7 octa-core processor. Which means that it is a 32-bit ARMv7 hardware.

There are still no easily available 64-bit ARM devices on market other than iPhone :( Linaro and Red Hat reportedly have some X-GENE boxes for 64-bit ARM testing, but they are in scarce availability and seriously overpriced.

But cheap Cortex-A53 based phones are going to become available from multiple vendors somewhere in 2015. We are going to have 64-bit hardware eventually.