Author Topic: CubieTech A80 High-performance Mini PC discussions  (Read 59812 times)

Offline FR3D

• View Profile
CubieTech A80 High-performance Mini PC discussions
« on: May 08, 2014, 07:12:45 am »
Post anything that you think should have or be included in the next gen CubieBoard.
I only saw this in the homepage and its really exciting. Here are some of the features I hope it will have.
1. USB 3.0
2. SATA 3
3. Mic in as well as audio out. (dont know why they got rid of it)
4. have a basic bios as boot option to allow you to boot from sata, sd card or nand of your choice.
5. bigger rtc.
6. let you to edit and explore files when plug your board into the pc in android.
7. maybe some support with puttin windows as a OS.

Let me know if any features you think is a bit too much and share your idea of what you think would make the next gen board more useful.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:15:28 am by FR3D »

Offline ShPioN

• View Profile
Re: CubieTech A80 High-performance Mini PC discussions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 12:28:08 pm »
5.1 analog audio output will be very useful

Offline @lex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 03:15:33 pm »
Dual HDMI output!

Offline wantmymoneyback

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 04:29:01 pm »
I would love a Real Time Clock with battery, or instructions of what to buy and how to configure so that it works. I am already too tired of setting the time to almost use my Cubie 1.
But I really want either a quad core or an A57, 64 bit processor.
Any hope of 64 bits anytime soon? Any other source for a 64 bit development board?

Offline FR3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:38:23 am »
I would love a Real Time Clock with battery, or instructions of what to buy and how to configure so that it works. I am already too tired of setting the time to almost use my Cubie 1.
But I really want either a quad core or an A57, 64 bit processor.
Any hope of 64 bits anytime soon? Any other source for a 64 bit development board?
I think the a80 is a 8core (4x a7 and 4x a15). Yea I do agree with the RTC I currently own a cubietruck and the battery size doesnt hold the time for long so hopefully they will upgrade that. A manual would also come in handy :)

Offline Jojo

• Developer
  • Cubieboard 2 - A20, aRUNTU v1.666
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:06:19 am »
I'm starting to doubt the philosophy of Cubietech. Of course, it is important to make improvements (like the upgrade from CB1 to CB2 for example). BUT:

Our community is still not very big. There are only a very few people who have the skills to develope things or share their distros with the rest of the "normal" members. Ikeeki has left (thanks for all!) and patwood has a lot of other things to do.

So, where the hell is the advantage to blast out one new board after another, when the OS developement process for the other boards is far away from being finished?!
Don't you think that there is a reason, why there appear posts like "What is the best distro for..." or "Is it possible to..." almost every week?! There are so many questions in the forum which stay unanswered. The community is badly spread over different hardware with to many different OS.

What do you think people will do, when they see, that their boards are obselete one month after the bought it?! Do you think the will immediately by the newer one?! I don't think so. I will keep my "old" CB2.

I think I know the reason of success of boards like the RPi: it is ONE board, ONE community. Similar constellation for other boards. And even for other whole companies!

I can only speak for myself, but I feel some kind of fooled. It is already feelable, that the support for the CB1 and CB2 is running out. There is almost no compatibility between the boards, so if the developement process goes on for the newer boards (IF it goes on...) the older boards are obelete and the owners will be left behind.

I will NOT buy a CT or a CB4 or whatever. As long as my CB2 fulfills my needs, I will keep it.

Sorry for sharing my bad mood with you, but thats how it look like. If you don't agree, please show me a counter-example. Otherwhise I don't care  :-X .

Greetings
Don't think that anyone will take more pains for his answer, as you took for your question.

japeto

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 08:09:53 am »
I totally agree with you. My CB3 is very new and has barely left things for her when it appears to be supplanted.
I am very disgusted with the way that all this is taking.
Raspberry Pi will not pass this and it takes a long time unchanged.

Offline gustagi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 08:44:12 am »
1.sata2 is enough for mini pc and one 2.5" hdd
2.hdmi , vga and dp (with adapter get another hdmi) is also enough
3.we need gpu driver for some xbmc
4.and good price

Offline Lexter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 10:57:14 am »
Most of all the small community there is, need to find their answers, so a organized forum would be nice.
Info is scattered all over. The information is there @ somewhere.

I think the board is great as it is. If you need more, there are plenty of options. I have several desktop computers, 5 laptops and a big as 27 iMac, but its the cubie that is most fun  ;D ;D

(sent from my CT) 8)

Offline salutuj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 03:58:24 pm »
1) USB 3.0
2) 8GB of RAM or more.

Offline gustagi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 04:19:56 pm »
1) USB 3.0
2) 8GB of RAM or more.
why 8G ram and usb3?

Offline FR3D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 10:25:53 pm »
I'm starting to doubt the philosophy of Cubietech. Of course, it is important to make improvements (like the upgrade from CB1 to CB2 for example). BUT:

Our community is still not very big. There are only a very few people who have the skills to develope things or share their distros with the rest of the "normal" members. Ikeeki has left (thanks for all!) and patwood has a lot of other things to do.

So, where the hell is the advantage to blast out one new board after another, when the OS developement process for the other boards is far away from being finished?!
Don't you think that there is a reason, why there appear posts like "What is the best distro for..." or "Is it possible to..." almost every week?! There are so many questions in the forum which stay unanswered. The community is badly spread over different hardware with to many different OS.

What do you think people will do, when they see, that their boards are obselete one month after the bought it?! Do you think the will immediately by the newer one?! I don't think so. I will keep my "old" CB2.

I think I know the reason of success of boards like the RPi: it is ONE board, ONE community. Similar constellation for other boards. And even for other whole companies!

I can only speak for myself, but I feel some kind of fooled. It is already feelable, that the support for the CB1 and CB2 is running out. There is almost no compatibility between the boards, so if the developement process goes on for the newer boards (IF it goes on...) the older boards are obelete and the owners will be left behind.

I will NOT buy a CT or a CB4 or whatever. As long as my CB2 fulfills my needs, I will keep it.

Sorry for sharing my bad mood with you, but thats how it look like. If you don't agree, please show me a counter-example. Otherwhise I don't care  :-X .

Greetings
yea I understand what you mean. Software would also neeed to be as good as hardware. One thing that I should of add is the software functions. It should be universal so it can be install on any Cubitech device and any drives (e.g ssd,nand or sd). We also need a software development team from cubitech. If that is what you mean.

Offline Oldman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 03:04:00 pm »

Greetings
Yes, Yes, Yes

Greetings
CB2 als Homeserver mit Lubuntu Server Nand
CT im Test
-------------------------------------------------
x86 Rechner mit  akiraLINUX
akiraLINUX Features s. http://youtu.be/ykwbV2YfccU

Offline Fuzzlix

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 04:31:37 am »
I own 2 CT. I try to get them up as a tiny desktop computer. At least i expect all hardware is working and well documented. This includes flawless documents in (at least) english. The chinese AX209 dokumentation does not fit those needs.
It seems, the CT never went throu a testing stage. No one figured out that is not possible to power off the CT by software as long a charged battery is attached. wifi/bt controller seems to have firmware issues. .. and so on.
Sometimes it looks for me, Cubietech used all the crappy hardware components, Allwinner cant sell to handy manufactors.
All this does not look promising for a A80 board.

Fuzzlix.

Offline pezi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 05:05:25 am »

I fully agree with your point of view. I don't unterstand the Cubiebaord team and the company Allwinner behind this project. With the help of 2-3 full-time devloper most of the open problems (kernel development and graphic support) can be solved. Such a core development team can be the seed of a growing community. I read developing a complex SoC costs estimated between  10-60 million$. But there is no little money availabe for the fuel of a SoC - the SW.

Peter