Author Topic: Gaming (retro emulation) on the Cubie  (Read 33444 times)

Offline lawrence

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gaming (retro emulation) on the Cubie
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:52:52 am »
Thought I'd start a board with some gaming bits and bobs as I have been concentrating on that for the last little while for my own nefarious ends.  8)

The Cubie works fairly well for gaming, although there are issues with SDL and the Framebuffer side could be better.

Graphics is improving gradually though, mostly due to SSVB's (Siarhei Siamashka's) efforts.

I will add some compiled binaries to a repo and people can download from there or diy via github  / instructions.

If someone with some pygame experience wants to give me a hand, let me know.

Lawrence.

Blue Vein CHEESE

Re: Gaming (retro emulation) on the Cubie
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 04:19:01 am »
I'm looking at using my Cubie (when it arrives - just ordered a couple of days ago) for my mame cabinet.

I'm currently using a PC in it, but have decided to give a single-board system a go.  I have a rpi, but have read in a few places that its not quite fast enough to run some games at full speed, so the Cubie seems like the next logical choice due to the CPU advantage.  The SATA port is also a big plus.

I'm toying with writing my own front-end using pyglet.  It seems to have pretty good sprite and joystick handling (I'm using an A-PAC board), which is handy.

eg. some "messing around" code:
Code: [Select]
import pyglet
joysticks = pyglet.input.get_joysticks()
assert joysticks, 'No joystick device is connected'
joystick = joysticks[0]
joystick.open()

def joy_event(j,b):
print str(b) + ' on ' + j.device.name

def joy_motion(j,a,v):
if v == -1.0 or v == 1.0:
print a + ':' + str(v) + ' on ' + j.device.name

joystick.on_joybutton_press = joy_event
joystick.on_joyaxis_motion = joy_motion
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:20:50 am by Blue Vein CHEESE »

BigWhoop

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 06:08:04 am »
i tried ScummVM on the cubie.
With linaro it crashes after start (1.4.1 from repo and 1.5 self compiled).
with raspbian and the repo 1.4.1 version it run but without sound :(

i will follow your thread here :)

antonis greece

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:52:49 am »
I find chameleon os in raspberry with many emulators ready to play. but in cubieboard don't work.
I think that it is easier to transer this to cubieboard and  no to try something from the scratch!
Also Retropie have many emulators and also quake for raspberry! why not for cubieboard?

Offline lawrence

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 06:36:49 am »
I am doing something like that - what you think call it -  retrocubie? 

Be patient.

antonis greece

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:06:36 am »
 what about gamecubie  ;)(like gamecube!!)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:28:56 pm by antonis greece »

antonis greece

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 01:41:43 am »
one month later  :'( 
nothing lawrence?

Offline OmahaVike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 10:25:46 pm »
hey, a mame cab!  I built one yeeeeeears ago, but it has a full mobo/cpu combo inside.  if i had to do it again, i'd definitely go with a cubie powered cab.

i am currently in the process of building a dartboard cab (like you'd see in arcades/bars, but instead with PC level graphics) and intend on using the cubie as my brains.  see http://www.tumblr.com/blog/dartboardcabinet

ikeeki

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 06:05:46 pm »
Hi, I want to install as many emulator on th cubie. But I really need help. I,ve seen the tutos for raspberry to intall mess, gngeo, the needed sld, and so on, no luck (core dump). If anyone wants to make a tuto or give some important hints, I,ll include these emus in my (maybe last) .img.
Thanks.

antonis greece

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 05:39:04 pm »
i try and work advmame with debian rasbian and berryboot.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/berryboot/files/os_images/Debian_Wheezy_Raspbian_2013.03.img192/download

i see that we have a new version and i try it with that.

jrmago

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 07:34:25 pm »
advmame or other mame emulator works good in cubieboard ? someone has already tested ? runs all the games ?

nayphee

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 06:48:46 am »
I just finished building advmame and advmenu on the cubieboard2. Haven't configured it or tested it yet, but that's coming soon. (It's a Saturday night, I'm not staying home!)

I'm using the cubian distribution for the A20,
http://cubian.org/downloads

Get your networking sorted out and then here's what you apt-get in order to create the build environment.

gcc
g++
make
nasm
expat
svgalib-bin
libsdl1.2-dev
libncurses5-dev

mkdir /home/cubie/emulators

Do this when compiling both advmame and advmenu (they will get installed to the same directory, specifically created to hold advmame files)

./configure --prefix=/home/cubie/emulators/advmame --sysconfdir=/home/cubie/emulators/advmame/etc
make
make install

advmame takes a while to build on the cubie. Yes I suppose you could cross compile it on a faster machine, but I couldn't be bothered ;)

After that, you have to allow the user "cubie" to get access to the framebuffer:-
$ sudo nano /etc/udev/my-rules.d/framebuffer.rules
Then put a line in it like this
KERNEL=="fb0", OWNER="root", MODE="0660"
and add cubie to the video group
$ sudo usermod -a -G video cubie

After that you need to configure advmame.cfg and advmenu.cfg.
I am borrowing wholesale from the pimame configs and just tuning them to get their directories from /home/cubie instead of /home/pi

So far I have advance menu working, but the games aren't starting up due to bad video configs or something. Either it's flipping back tot he menu, or my HDMI TV is losing it's signal and I'm getting no sound. :( So I'm clearly missing something in the configs....

For the full advmame experience, you will want a 32GB SD card, or more on SATA, because they all won't fit on 16GB (yep, hit the wall on that!)

I'm trying to go through and build a number of emulators so I have definitive collection, not too unlike Pimame for the raspberry pi.

...and "game-cubie" sounds good ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:14:20 pm by nayphee »

BuhBuh-Ray

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 12:07:12 pm »
Any updates to this topic ?

I'm a newbie regarding Linux.  I tried compiling AdvanceMame .106 using mainly instructions from the Raspberry Pi issue 15 magazine, from Nayphee's post up here and other places elsewhere in regards of items specific to our board (GPU, etc.).  I used the Cubieez Debian 7.1 image from drkbcn with Patwood's 3.4.43 kernel (which has a lot of drivers and modules enabled, link on page 11 of the Cubieez's topic). 

Unless I'm mistaking, Patwood's kernel did have all the Framebuffer modules enabled in kernel, since I want to use the console only, and not use AdvanceMame in X:

CONFIG_FB_SUNXI=y
CONFIG_FB_SUNXI_LCD=y
CONFIG_FB_SUNXI_HDMI=y

CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

When it finished compiling, I was able to make Advmame work, but it did only in X, not in the console directly with Framebuffer.  I'm currently using a LCD monitor with DVI input, and a HDMI to DVI cable.  I was never able to find a working resolution in console.  I tried changing the resolution in script.bin (tried 480p and 480i) but my current monitor would not handle it.  If I'm finally able to make it work, I'll use a 19" 4:3 VGA monitor, and I've ordered a HDMI to VGA converter which I should receive tomorrow.  Maybe I'll be able to find then a working resolution. 

If someone did indeed make Advmame work with the Cubie directly in console, me and I'm sure a few others would like to know how.  Thanks !

nayphee

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 12:25:12 am »
I used the Cubieez Debian 7.1 image from drkbcn with Patwood's 3.4.43 kernel (which has a lot of drivers and modules enabled, link on page 11 of the Cubieez's topic). 

If someone did indeed make Advmame work with the Cubie directly in console, me and I'm sure a few others would like to know how.  Thanks !

Yep, I was thinking of using that Cubiuntu distro. Clearly the cubian kernel is missing some important stuff to enable direct framebuffer to work.... which is the only thing I will settle for.
 I guess I have to wait and I look forward to more improvements on cubian (because it really is a nice distro... just missing bits :(  )

I did muck around and run the pimame installer script on the cubie, and to my surprise it installed everything as long as I apt-get installed unzip, created a user called "pi", and sucked down the git repo for pimame and run the install script.
Only thing is that some of the pi emulator build  (e.g. mame4all) include the broadcom module for graphics (which it expects from the pi), so importing pimame directly into the cubie isn't a solution either.
I managed to get advmenu to start from the pimame build, but advmame didn't start just like my native build on the cubie.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:27:31 am by nayphee »

Offline DigitalDaz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 02:53:32 am »
Has any progress been made with regard to getting emulation working?

I'm going to give it a shot today and see where I can get but it would be good to hear how others are progressing.

TIA

Daz