Author Topic: Fan and temperature sensor for Cubietruck  (Read 16878 times)

Offline pattinik

• View Profile
Fan and temperature sensor for Cubietruck
« on: March 21, 2014, 11:51:44 pm »
Hi all guys! I have a cubietruck with the original black case. I noticed that there is a space for a fan. I was wondering if it's usefull install a fan there with a rpm control. I use cubietruck for a personal vpn and the system isn't very loaded (10% cpu usage, 20% ram usage). I have just the "classic" heatsink on the CPU. I also would like to put a termal sensor on the heatsink, because lm-sensors doesn't found any sensors.

What do you advice to me? It's a good idea put a fun for my load system on the tight case? Or maybe I can easy leave the cubietruck there without nothing using it 24/7.

Thank you all!  8)

P.S
(sorry for my english)  :-[

Offline slovenia

• View Profile
Re: Fan and temperature sensor for Cubietruck
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 01:40:54 am »
What do you advice to me? It's a good idea put a fun for my load system on the tight case? Or maybe I can easy leave the cubietruck there without nothing using it 24/7.

There is one temperature info (from this kernel & up), the temperature for the AXP209 on-board power chip and you can get a temp from HDD. It's better than nothing.

Don't know how much this really helps but you can also down-clock CPU and/or use CPU governor "interactive". In my, probably heavier, usage CPU stays at 480Mhz (my lower limit) in around 90% of the time and jumps to full speed when needed.

In a tight case like this the temperature might be a problem. Without readings we are half blind. Try proper kernel, measure AXP and post the numbers under long heavy load.
Debian and Ubuntu images with kernel 3.4.110, 4.3.3, 4.4
http://www.armbian.com

Offline pattinik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 11:57:56 am »
Thank you for your tip! :D  Anyway I just saw that you made a very interisting image running debian server with the kernel you told me. So I decided to say good bye to lubuntu server (it little sucks  :-X) and install your image that seems really fits my needs and my purpose.  8) I hope I will not have such problems to install it on the nand. So I will post the temperature during the system load to look if a fan it's really necessary with the tight case.By the way while I read the features I was more convinced to try it, it looks so cool! ;D Thank you very much for your work!

Ciauzzzzz

Offline pattinik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 12:46:11 pm »
Upsss I thing I'm too noob to understand how write it to the nand. I downloaded your image (vga) and I got a zip file with the raw image. Now with phoenixtools how should I flash it? It accept just .img files.
Sorry for my silly questions!  :'(

Maybe I should use this?
sudo apt-get -y install git
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/igorpecovnik/Cubietruck-Debian
chmod +x ./Cubietruck-Debian/build.sh
cd ./Cubietruck-Debian
sudo ./build.sh
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 12:50:53 pm by pattinik »

Offline slovenia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 03:10:06 pm »
Upsss I thing I'm too noob to understand how write it to the nand. I downloaded your image (vga) and I got a zip file with the raw image. Now with phoenixtools how should I flash it? It accept just .img files.
Sorry for my silly questions!  :'(

Maybe I should use this?
sudo apt-get -y install git
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/igorpecovnik/Cubietruck-Debian
chmod +x ./Cubietruck-Debian/build.sh
cd ./Cubietruck-Debian
sudo ./build.sh

Image is made for micro SD card. The only way to get this to NAND is to write it to SD card (with this tool for example) and than transfer it to the NAND with a script which is included in the image. It's located in the root's home directory, default when you log-in. It's not executable so you should do: chmod +x nand-install.sh before executing it. There might be troubles while transfering image to NAND but we have a workaround - read first post and check the thread. If you don't find an answer feel free to ask for help.

Maybe I should use this?

No, this is the image creation process ... Just download the latest one and write it to uSD card.

Offline pattinik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 03:20:43 pm »
Image is made for micro SD card. The only way to get this to NAND is to write it to SD card (with this tool for example) and than transfer it to the NAND with a script which is included in the image. It's located in the root's home directory, default when you log-in. It's not executable so you should do: chmod +x nand-install.sh before executing it. There might be troubles while transfering image to NAND but we have a workaround - read first post and check the thread. If you don't find an answer feel free to ask for help.

Thank you! I did it. I didn't have any problems running the nand-install.sh script because I already had lubuntu on the nand. The system with your image is very light and really better than lubuntu. I didn't test the cpu with the full load yet, but I saw the temperature with the command
cat /sys/devices/platform/sunxi-i2c.0/i2c-0/0-0034/temp1_input
it's around 35 C° (it shows 34600, I assumed it means 34,6 C°).
I think it's not too high for a cubietruck in his tight case, but I have no experience with ARM cpu's temperature. In any case I'll put an external tachymetric fan just for safe.
I will be following always your main thread for any news of your great work!  8)
Thanks again! ;)

Ciauzzzz

Offline slovenia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 02:31:17 am »
Thank you for trying my image. I hope you it suits your needs.

I didn't test the cpu with the full load yet, but I saw the temperature with the command

The temperature is not from the CPU chip but some other and the readings are also not so accurate but enough to see how the board is doing ;D You will need to attach some real sensor to the CPU to get accurate results.

Around 35 C° is O.K. for idle but I don't have info what is the limit. I can only guess / speak in general - some people say what is under 80 C° is O.K., same 60 C°. Those are suggested max. temperatures for Raspberry PI. I have here one Raspberry PI running 24/7, over-clocked to 900Mhz and it's showing (under semi load) 54 C° in the same room.

Try to get a temp also from HDD. For hard drives in general - what is more than 50  C° is too hot and what is more than 60 C° is danger / out of range.

Code: [Select]
hddtemp /dev/sdaProbably you will need to apt-get install hddtemp before.

In any case I'll put an external tachymetric fan just for safe.

Do readings under stress in summer time or heat a room :) You probably won't need it.

Cu

Offline Jojo

• Developer
  • Cubieboard 2 - A20, aRUNTU v1.666
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 04:37:41 am »
The temperature is not from the CPU chip but some other and the readings are also not so accurate but enough to see how the board is doing ;D You will need to attach some real sensor to the CPU to get accurate results.

Hi,
you are right, that the temperature sensor is not from the CPU itself. But: (as I understood it) it is the sensor of a peripheral component INSIDE the A20 package. So the measurement is very close to the real CPU. I really don't think that you will get more accurate values with an external sensor. You will have very undefined thermal coupling between the package and your sensor, while the results of the internal sensor will be almost the same for everybody (under same conditions).
Of course, for comparing purposes it could be interesting what an external sensor says. But I believe that the internal one will always be the better choice (faster, direct in the same package, sufficient accuracy).
What do you think?

Greetings
Don't think that anyone will take more pains for his answer, as you took for your question.

Offline diogoc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 05:18:35 am »
Hi,
you are right, that the temperature sensor is not from the CPU itself. But: (as I understood it) it is the sensor of a peripheral component INSIDE the A20 package. So the measurement is very close to the real CPU. I really don't think that you will get more accurate values with an external sensor. You will have very undefined thermal coupling between the package and your sensor, while the results of the internal sensor will be almost the same for everybody (under same conditions).
Of course, for comparing purposes it could be interesting what an external sensor says. But I believe that the internal one will always be the better choice (faster, direct in the same package, sufficient accuracy).
What do you think?

Greetings

No, the temperature sensor is not inside the A20.
It is in the AXP209 chip, so the measurements is not close to the cpu temperature.
But as someone said, it's better than nothing.

Offline Jojo

• Developer
  • Cubieboard 2 - A20, aRUNTU v1.666
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 05:51:39 am »
Hi,
What do you think?

Greetings

No, the temperature sensor is not inside the A20.
It is in the AXP209 chip, so the measurements is not close to the cpu temperature.
But as someone said, it's better than nothing.

Hi,

maybe we talk about different things  :o ?! As you can read it here:
http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php?topic=2004.0
and here
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/linux-sunxi/2zoxTcepPVo

the sensor seems to be part of the touch panal controller. It that is inside of the A20 package  ??? . I would not use the temperature of the PMU IC, because it is so... "indirect" and depends much on other loads you might put on it. Theoretically you could have high temperature at the PMU while CPU is sleeping  ??? .
Nevertheless, we are talking about different sensors, I think?!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:55:11 am by Jojo »
Don't think that anyone will take more pains for his answer, as you took for your question.

Offline diogoc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 06:28:55 am »
Hi,

maybe we talk about different things  :o ?! As you can read it here:
http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php?topic=2004.0
and here
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/linux-sunxi/2zoxTcepPVo

the sensor seems to be part of the touch panal controller. It that is inside of the A20 package  ??? . I would not use the temperature of the PMU IC, because it is so... "indirect" and depends much on other loads you might put on it. Theoretically you could have high temperature at the PMU while CPU is sleeping  ??? .
Nevertheless, we are talking about different sensors, I think?!

Ok, you are right. It seems that touch panel controller of the A20 have a temperature sensor.
In that way we can have a close cpu temperature, at least more close than an external sensor.

Offline slovenia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 07:48:41 am »
Some readings:
T=30 min                          max temp.          % (min. cpu load / max load)
Default operations           36 C°              95/5
Burn-mode                       52 C°               0/100 * overclocked to 1.2 with default heat sink and just lying on the desk.

Temp goes slowly up and remain around 52 C°

After killing the burn process temperature rapidly drops to 42 C° than slowly further.

The test was done on a live (CT) system with minor activity. No idea what is the ambient temperature here but I guess it must be twenty something.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:50:12 am by slovenia »

Offline pattinik

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 03:50:41 pm »
Hi guys, I'm glad to see this thread still alive!  8)

I made a small test with just running the services "openvpn" & "noip". I got 15 clients attached to my vpn, and the system is very stable, I just use 40mb on 1948mb of ram and the cpu load is always under the 10%. That's a big difference respect lubuntu, because with the same configuration on lubuntu I was using 340mb on 1948 of ram and the cpu load was around 15%. With this load the temperature is around 35 C° on a heat room and around 31 C° during the night.
Anyway I started hating the tight black case. That poor board is breathless!!! ;D So I wonder to make my own case. I looked into my spare components, and I found something interisting. I took a board from an all in one water cooling, that have a fan control and a temp sensors that I can put on the cpu heat sink. I also took a plastic case (that one for elettrical linking in a house), where I should put the board.
I want to make square window on the top of the case and put a big fan (12cm) with a very slow rotation. Than I want to put the power surge into the case for having all in order with few cables.
However it's all still in my mind. I have to figure out a couple of things! XD
I'll upload the photo when I'll do it. In the meanwhile I'll show you the spares I got.

Thank you all for writing here, especially slovenia for his big help!  ;D

Ciauz

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kv7aiq84we3qig5/image1.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u845q1mvjy36c2/image.jpeg

Offline sevgi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 06:06:16 pm »
@pattinik, it really sounds interesting what you did and it can be used as aguide by other people who are trying to see if their CPU is running within thesafe limits. I  was wondering since you already have tried getting differentCPU readings at different loads with the previous case and now you have atemperature  controlled  fan  in  your  case,  would  it  be  possible  for  you  to provide an outline on the results that you have achieved so far so that we getto see the percentage improvement that you’ve gotten. Thanks

Offline cabji

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 10:34:46 pm »
Hi,

I have been running my CT for a while now as a home server. It runs in console mode mainly with screen and: IRC, Profanity (xmpp im), Alpine (email). It runs some daemons for me like FTP, tvheadend, sshd, minidlna, bubbleupnp (DLNA forwarding server) and probably some I have forgotten.

I also have tried running i2p-router on it, which does run ok, but I find the i2p software is fairly intense. I think it is because it does a lot of encrypt/decrypting of stuff. I've found when I run i2p server for long enough it begins using 100% of the CPU. Their FAQ gives some remedies which I have checked all of according to my ability and I can't seem to control the load the software creates.

If I leave i2p going, eventually the system will fail. Like it freezes or just stops responding to input nad drops off the network. I guess this is the CT overheating.

I monitor the system temp using 'sensors' command which shows temps similar to those said in this thread.

At idle in ambient (not air-conditioned) room: about 37-40C
Medium load (me using it to download or updating software etc): about 40-49C
Heavy load: from 49C to 54C

I have never gotten a reading over about 53.8C so I make the assumption that the system is shutting itself off about 60C or thereabouts.

Is there anyway to have the system temp _logged_ so I can push the CT as hard as possible and after failure I can see what the temp readings were?