July 09, 2020, 04:28:05 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Problem with DVI to HDMI converter

Started by MonEl, April 03, 2013, 01:03:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MonEl

My Cubieboard arrived yesterday.  I wanted to test it using my Emachines E211H flatscreen monitor I currently use on my desktop.  Unfortunately my monitor only has VGA and DVI inputs.  In anticipation of this I had purchased a DVI to HDMI adapter.  All I get is a blank screen when I connect the Cubie.  And I did reboot it.  I was able to see the cubie startup image fine when I connected it directly to my large Flatscreen TV HDMI connection.  But it would be inconvenient to work on the cubie in there.  I planned to use this monitor not the large TV for now. Do you suppose that the Cubie might not work out of the box with a DVI to HDMI adapter?  Or maybe after I replace the included out of box OS image with something else it might work with the display?  Thanks for any and all suggestions to a newbie. 

BigWhoop

donĀ“t use an dvi adapter with the out of the box cubie. You have to change or modify the kernel boot args.

NEBUR1966

April 05, 2013, 06:32:07 am #2 Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:38:03 am by NEBUR1966

Como???

patwood

I've found that DVI adapters (like the ones that come with Mac Minis) don't work with GUI linux on many monitors, and don't work well with Android on any monitors (my experience has been from weird colors to no output at all).  I've managed to use them with several A10-based devices in console mode only (no GUI) on linux, however.

It may be possible to modify the script.bin file to work with a DVI adapter for linux w/o rebuilding the kernel, but I've never tried; search around this forum and also on miniand.com in the mk802 posts.  My understanding of the Android build is that it overrides the script.bin after it boots, so you'd need to rebuild it to change the default HDMI settings.

MonEl

Followup:  Turns out the DVI to HDMI converter did work when I used the Ubuntu Linaro image supplied at the Cubieboard site.  Unfortunately I can not get internet access with that image for some reason.

embeddedcomputer

Used a dvd to hdmi adapter, the lg display could not work with it (blank screen). Another Dell monitor displayed pink colors. After I adjusted the Dell monitor to srgb colors all worked well.

EmperorDAZ

The same thing happened to me but then I ''burned'' berryboot to a SD card with Win32DiskImager. The DVI -HDMI displayed and then I installed raspbian to a USB. After installation I booted the Raspbian from berryboot and the display works.

Simplifying:
berryboot and raspbian will display using a HDMI to DVI.