August 11, 2020, 02:40:33 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

'Truck: Can I Brick it, and Will I Need SSD Drive?

Started by PeteCress, March 05, 2014, 07:30:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteCress

Maybe this is premature because the CubieTruck won't be arriving for a couple-two-three-weeks... but I can't resist thinking about it.

Is this thing brickable?   i.e. If I mess up installing Lubuntu or whatever badly enough can I create an unrecoverable situation?   

Will I wind up buying an SSD or mechanical drive for the system to live on?     Seems like that might bear on the first question...  i.e. If it's booting from an external SATA drive, it would seem tb immune to bricking as long as the SATA drive's image can be fixed.

If there's some parm or jumper that I could set to make it boot from SATA instead of it's built-in memory, I would be strongly partial to leaving the built-in untouched and going the SATA route.

slovenia

Quote from: PeteCress on March 05, 2014, 07:30:02 pm
Maybe this is premature because the CubieTruck won't be arriving for a couple-two-three-weeks... but I can't resist thinking about it.

Is this thing brickable?   i.e. If I mess up installing Lubuntu or whatever badly enough can I create an unrecoverable situation?   

Will I wind up buying an SSD or mechanical drive for the system to live on?     Seems like that might bear on the first question...  i.e. If it's booting from an external SATA drive, it would seem tb immune to bricking as long as the SATA drive's image can be fixed.

If there's some parm or jumper that I could set to make it boot from SATA instead of it's built-in memory, I would be strongly partial to leaving the built-in untouched and going the SATA route.

You can run your system from SD, NAND, SATA, USB but you can boot only from SD or NAND (in this order). There are plenty different images available on this forum or cubieboard site - for both.

Usually there is an Android pre-installed (on NAND) but you might get a board without system, so don't bother about "leaving it untouched". If you somehow brick it, you can always just flash it with Phoenix(Live)Suite.

It depend what you are going to do with the board. Technically you don't need an hard drive / SSD. You need micro SD and a proper Linux/Android distro on it.

You can also run a system just from NAND ... if you accept lower loading speed.
Debian and Ubuntu images with kernel 3.4.110, 4.3.3, 4.4
http://www.armbian.com

patwood

March 06, 2014, 12:06:47 pm #2 Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:08:50 pm by patwood

No, you can't brick it.  Regardless of how badly you trash the nand on the board (even removing it), you can always boot from the SD card, as it has higher priority in the boot sequence than nand.  Also, there's a tool called "phoenixsuit" that can be used to recover a bad nand flash; holding the "FEL" button on the board or booting from a special SD card puts the board into a special USB download mode that phoenixsuit uses to reprogram the board.  There's also a linux tool with a version of u-boot that can be loaded this way to chainload a linux kernel with a ramdisk as the rootfs for recovery.

But... you apparently can trash the nand by booting linux from the SD card on new boards with the rev B chip and android firmware.  This information is still new, so we don't know if it's just one specific version of linux on the SD card that does this.  Fortunately, the trashed nand can be recovered with phoenixsuit.

You can't boot from SATA or USB.  Only SD or NAND.

I've got a couple of cubieboard1 (one for home, one for work for about a year now), a cubieboard2, and a cubietruck. I've never connected a drive to any of them on the SATA port.

rose28357

I have a cubietruck with SSD Samsung 840 EVO. SSD will pull less power. Many people with HDD have had power supply problems.

You have to boot from sdcard or nand as already said. But you can move the rootfs to your SSD, where all filesystem activity takes place after finishing the boot process. So you will have SSD speed with your Linux!!! Even bootig speeds up by a factor of aprox. 3.

There are some images which have scripts to move rootfs from nand or sdcard to a sata device. For example this one CUBIUNTUX MEGA TRIPLE O.S. CT/CB2 SIMON TRIBUTE