July 09, 2020, 04:45:51 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

trouble with installing new kernel (in need to install stuff for DS18B20)

Started by StonieMalony, February 27, 2014, 10:37:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

StonieMalony

description of my problem,
I have installed lubuntu server on nand as I have no sd card. and I have DVK521 extension board with cubieboard 2. To get DS18B20 temperature sensor working on that board I needed to enable PB10 and I have done this (as teached in some howto).

Now I downloaded sunxi linux kernel source(3.4.79) and compiled it without problems, I replaced uImage on /dev/nanda and did sync (whatever that sync command does) but after reboot cubieboard will not boot up, it gets stuck on waiting root (I cant remember the wording exactly but was waiting for root at /dev/nandb) ... then I read somewhere that before reboot you got to change nand_root=nandb into nand2 but it got stuck in same place, except it was waiting for /dev/nand2.

Anyway, can somebody tell me how to get past this little trouble ? is there something that I need to tick on kernel configuration ? something that is needed but it not ticked on standart configuration ?

I used line: make ARCH=arm sun7i_defconfig
but maybe I need to tick something more ? or what's the solution ?

StonieMalony

I try one more time ... this time I use /proc/config.gz config and just add stuff that are needed for DS18B20 ... lets wait and see ... but bloody cubieboard takes it's time to compile kernel ... well :)

patwood

nand_root is not a standard u-boot variable.  Try root=/dev/nand2 or root=/dev/nandb depending on the setting of CONFIG_SUNXI_NAND_COMPAT_DEV in .config (setting means nand device naming is compatible with android, so use /dev/nandb if it's set).

StonieMalony

now I tried with same configuration that my old kernel had, I just added bits for DS18B20 sensor and I didnt change anything about root etc ... after a while it booted up but had no network and on boot screen there where things that did not seem right, I will add pictures of my syslog that you can see at http://torch.bumpclub.ee/tmp/ ... what is wrong ? what is missing ?

so I reflashed my nand again and now Im thinking ... can I get modules for my current kernel to get DS18B20 working ? what modules would I need for this:
Device Drivers  --->

• GPIO Support  --->
            <*>   GPIO Support for sunxi platform
        <*> Dallas's 1-wire support  --->
            <*> 1-wire sunxi support
            1-wire Bus Masters  --->
                <*> GPIO 1-wire busmaster
            1-wire Slaves  --->
                <*> Thermal family implementation

I mean yeah it is all written there but under what name all these modules are ?

thank you in front :)

patwood

Quote from: StonieMalony on February 27, 2014, 03:46:24 pm
now I tried with same configuration that my old kernel had, I just added bits for DS18B20 sensor and I didnt change anything about root etc ... after a while it booted up but had no network and on boot screen there where things that did not seem right, I will add pictures of my syslog that you can see at http://torch.bumpclub.ee/tmp/ ... what is wrong ? what is missing ?

Some networking driver in your kernel's crashing.  Looks the same as this: http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,1059.msg7124.html#msg7124

so I reflashed my nand again and now Im thinking ... can I get modules for my current kernel to get DS18B20 working ? what modules would I need for this:
Device Drivers  --->

• GPIO Support  --->
            <*>   GPIO Support for sunxi platform
        <*> Dallas's 1-wire support  --->
            <*> 1-wire sunxi support
            1-wire Bus Masters  --->
                <*> GPIO 1-wire busmaster
            1-wire Slaves  --->
                <*> Thermal family implementation

I mean yeah it is all written there but under what name all these modules are ?

thank you in front :)

If you have that kernel version, enable them, build it, and just copy all the modules to /lib/modules; why bother tracking down these files?

StonieMalony

I looked at the topic you showed and there's seems to be some trouble around CONFIG_JUMP_LABEL ... I will disable it and compile  the kernel again (I hope it will not take that long anymore as most of the stuff should be compiled already) ... if this doesnt work then I try some other they say stable kernel config that I had in this topic you shared and lets hope it will work ... just this time I will make a backup of old kernel so that I can restore my cubieboard without a need to flash the whole thing again :)

but if it all fails then where can I get kernel that comes with cubieboard lubuntu server 13.06 ? I mean source of it ? I would use same config as it has by default just add these few bits and bobs needed for DS18B20 sensor and it should be stable ?

StonieMalony

Hi, little status report :)

I got it working, look like disabling CONFIG_JUMP_LABEL helped. And as far as I have find out then lot of people have trouble with newer kernels ... so if any of you read this letter then just disable CONFIG_JUMP_LABEL and it should work ... in menuconfig it is "General Setup->Optimize very unlikely/likely branches" ... looks like this bit of kernel is not that stable :)

thanks patwood, without your link I couldnt figured it out :) now my CubieBoard does two things, runs mysql server and have secondary temp sensor on computer table ... but I plan for more so I guess I will have tons of new questions :)