April 03, 2020, 05:46:43 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

The ULTIMATE Newb Cubietruck set-up guide

Started by CubieNewb, December 02, 2013, 09:46:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CubieNewb

December 14, 2013, 07:52:44 pm #15 Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:56:53 pm by CubieNewb
Huge thanks for all the goodies, Kingneutron. I do want to mention that this thread is for the cubietruck specifically.

If you're able, the best way to help us newbs, aside from the links, is to provide a step by step with each command line. I'm trying to make it easy for people. After more than a month now, my Cubietruck is just barely starting to get to where my Rpi is out of the box.

We get 3 replies here for support where one comment on the Rpi forums would have many hundreds of help and support replies. 10 days to Christmas. I hope everyone chips in with this thread. It will cause hundreds, if not thousands of frustrated children - not to mention their parents, if there isn't a modicum of support. Everything for RPi is done step by step with commands lines - go here, type this, download that - in clear, understandable English (and many other languages), etc... and this really draws people in and gets them super excited about Linux and RPi. I would like to help as many people as possible avoid my experience - which is exactly the opposite as described above with RPi. Why do I need to go to the RPi community to get support for the CT? The pretentious attitudes around Linux and CT are not a good business model if they really want this fantastic product to take off.

rose28357

December 15, 2013, 05:04:34 am #16 Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:24:54 pm by rose28357
We need our own Wiki at cubieboard.org. It will take some time to establish a useful structure for each Board, Linux-Variant/images, howtos in common and special to a board and so on. But i will become a goog knowledge base for all of us.

martinmatias

Hi CubieNewb, thanks for the post, really usefull.

Can you be more specific About Microphone cabling?, How did you cable MIC IN? I mean, the jack provided is for audio out rather than MIC IN, correct? Or its possible to use a headset (the one with mic included as in cellphones?)

I´ve tried to use GPIO 24 and 26 on connecto CN8 withput success. I think that they are line in and you need amplifier to use them as mic in (as in Cubieboard 1).

Hope you can help me.

Regards
Martin

CubieNewb

December 18, 2013, 09:35:05 pm #18 Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:40:58 pm by CubieNewb
Quote from: martinmatias on December 18, 2013, 01:55:10 pm

Can you be more specific About Microphone cabling?, How did you cable MIC IN? I mean, the jack provided is for audio out rather than MIC IN, correct? Or its possible to use a headset (the one with mic included as in cellphones?)

I´ve tried to use GPIO 24 and 26 on connecto CN8 withput success. I think that they are line in and you need amplifier to use them as mic in (as in Cubieboard 1).

Hope you can help me.

Regards
Martin

It's ironic, as that Gnome mixer works a bit, but then it's got an error and you can't get the HDMI audio back on. I'm no expert at this and barely working it out. There's the new cubiuntu on the other thread now, so I may abandon this as it's just impossible to get going well.

There is an Alsa player / mixer in there that has a lot of settings for just this, a virtual wire cabinet. You may try that... it started with a V. If I can find it, i'll post it for you.

CubieNewb

December 18, 2013, 10:20:03 pm #19 Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:22:57 pm by CubieNewb
It's the volti editor. You may find it under your synaptics package manager under "alsa" or "volti", or when connected online, you can probably just do a sudo apt-get install volti.

It was probably the Gnome mixer that activated the jack, but unfortunately with the errors I was never able to get HDMI audio back on, so maybe this mixer will do the trick. If someone knows the command line to switch the audio back and forth, that would be fantastic.  :D

A working gui would be great too.

CubieNewb

forget that one too. it works less than Gnome mixer.  :'(

martinmatias

Hi Cubienew, Iǘe tried with Cubiuntu with same result, MICIN is not working. It also didnt have capture=1 into script.ffex/vin, so it would never capture audio by default.

Did you get MIC IN working? When you said you got audio jack working, you were talking about audio out only?

I don't even know if the 3,5mm por its Headphones only, or configurable o or it has micin also (like cellphone heaset).

If not, I dont know where and how to connect the microhone.

Hope, you can clarify it.

regards
Martin

Quote from: CubieNewb on December 18, 2013, 09:35:05 pm
Quote from: martinmatias on December 18, 2013, 01:55:10 pm

Hope you can help me.

Regards
Martin

It's ironic, as that Gnome mixer works a bit, but then it's got an error and you can't get the HDMI audio back on. I'm no expert at this and barely working it out. There's the new cubiuntu on the other thread now, so I may abandon this as it's just impossible to get going well.

There is an Alsa player / mixer in there that has a lot of settings for just this, a virtual wire cabinet. You may try that... it started with a V. If I can find it, i'll post it for you.

corq

January 01, 2014, 02:28:50 am #22 Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:20:54 am by corq
Updating default account passwords/Adding users:

Update default password, in this instance, the user 'linaro':

root@cubietruck # passwd linaro

Enter new UNIX password: <add chosen password here>
Retype new UNIX password:

passwd: password updated successfully

Add new user:

useradd -m newusername

Note: The 'm' switch above automatically creates home dir path, may be unnecessary in debian, I'm superstitious...

Want new user to have sudo ability?

# adduser newusername sudo

Adding user `newusername ' to group `sudo' ...
Adding user newusername to group sudo
Done.

hhh123

I would like to add VNC setup guide with which might help this to get complete.

apt-get installl x11vnc

x11vnc -storepasswd yourpasswordhere /etc/x11vnc.pass

chmod 744 /etc/x11vnc.pass

then  add the following to

vi /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/x11vnc -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -forever -bg -rfbport 5900 -o /tmp/x11vnc.log

I've tested it with logouts and reboots and it works fine with one minor flaw of disconnecting the active connection when you log out and having to reconnect once its at the login screen

zozor23

Hi everyone ,
I've view the post for IR Remote , but i see : error:device not found
can you help me ? (i've a cubietruck)
Thanks and i wish u a good year !

mikes.jan

Change the "Linaro" user name and password: you can't be logged as linaro (i was logged as root via ssh)

XXX - the new username

change linaro to new username
usermod -l XXX linaro

the home folder wasn't renamed, to fix it:
usermod -d /home/XXX -m XXX

and change password for the new user
passwd XXX

BTW, what about the Wiki?

bloodstyle

Hi! I'm a programmer student at school and I just bought the Cubietruck. I'm new to linux, tough we gonna do some at school, and first steps are really a pain in the @@@.

Thanks for this magnificent thread! I'm actually going to make some projects with this cubietruck and share my stuff.

But, it seems the links you have insert in your thread that comes from cubieforums redirect me to the main page. I would really like to know how to unlock the 2gb ram..

bloodstyle

February 03, 2014, 03:26:06 pm #28 Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 03:30:51 pm by bloodstyle
first post, last object. but nvm.

it seems that cubieforums' link work at school

bloodstyle

Need some more help here.

I've been able to do everything, except the bluetooth version. When I enter the line, I get in an infinite loop (i've downloaded gcc, bluez, libs, etc.)

can't seem to find a way through