Author Topic: HOW TO CONNECT REMOTELY TO CUBIE (tested and stable)  (Read 2236 times)

ikeeki

HOW TO CONNECT REMOTELY TO CUBIE (tested and stable)
« on: February 07, 2014, 07:07:19 pm »
Hi, first of all you have to be able to connect locally.
If you are already able to do that, as for example with a very simple X11vnc setting:

Code: [Select]
x11vnc -bg -usepw -forever -rfbport 5900

and a script or any other method to launch it at init (for example in /etx/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart) the following step would be to consider if you have access to portforward the router the cubie is connected to or you do not have access.

If not: the easiest way is to install hamachi. That is as if you are in the same local network. You'll have to declare the ports the cubie is opened to, but you don't have to change any router cofig. Here both publics IP's (the one of your local router and the router of your cubie) can be dinamic 

Another method is to make the cubie look for you instead of you looking for the cubie, that is possible with X11VNC -listen setting in cubie and in vnc client you have in your pc. The best one by far is ssvnc. I consider here you have static IP for your router and dynamic IP for the cubie. You can do many things with repeaters too.

Then the problem is to let you know what the public IP of your cubie is. For that you can make your cubie send you a mail, using google server, what will allow you to bypass the blacklists of your ISP.

For that:

$ sudo gedit /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

root=usergmail@gmail.com
mailhub=smtp.gmail.com:587
hostname=usergmail@gmail.com
FromLineOverride=YES
UseSTARTTLS=YES
AuthUser=usuariogmail
AuthPass=password

setting: ssmtp
file: /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
{
root=usuario@gmail.com
mailhub=smtp.gmail.com:587
rewriteDomain=
hostname=user@gmail.com
UseSTARTTLS=YES
AuthUser=user
AuthPass=tyouraccountpassword
FromLineOverride=YES
}

Then setting revaliases
file: /etc/ssmtp/revaliases

root:user@gmail.com:smtp.gmail.com:587
mainuser:user@gmail.com:smtp.gmail.com:587
You can user other famous servers, as for example hotbillgatesmail.

Then you can use a program to let the cubie know its public IP (if is dynamic), for example curl (many other ways are posible).

And add that info to a mail that will be send to you in an automatical way, always using what I told you before, scripts at init.

This method is perfectly working, as I have 4 cubies working in that way for clients of mine with a great performance and stability. Im not showing offas I do not have to...

For a more detailed guide (and much safer) or a customized cubiuntu .img we would have to talk about prices (and I really don't want to), but I know you are intelligent and that with this info, you'll be able to set it up.

If you liked the info give a karma point 

Regards, Isaac.

PD: old cubiuntu 0.4 works stable as a rock for that, with my loved 3.0.43 kernel...