December 06, 2019, 11:36:11 pm

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Defective board?

Started by whatshisname, February 02, 2014, 12:33:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whatshisname

I have a cubieboard1 that I bought in the Indiegogo campaign.  It sat in a box for a year before I started trying to set it up.

There was no Android on the nand best I could tell.  For sure, it never booted.

I'm an accomplished Linux user and have 2 Raspberry Pi's up and running.  I know all about imaging SD cards.  I'm an Arch user and prefer the command line.

No matter what I do, I can't get this thing to boot.  I've tried different brands of SD cards and several different Linux distributions.  I've been through several Youtube videos.  I can get the red light to shine for a bit, the green light to shine for a bit, then nothing.

I've dd'ed different cards over a dozen times.  I even broke down and imaged a few cards with Win32 disk imager.  Nada.

Much of my early frustration had to do with the fact that I was using a HDMI to DVI cable.  I subsequently learned folks had problems with that hardware setup.  There went a couple days of my life I'll never get back! :-)

So I hooked it up to TV in the living room but have gotten no further.  I saw that you should power it from a plug in wall charger and not a USB port from a laptop or desktop.  Tried that, too.

Before I try to contact the company to see if they'll send me a replacement, is there any kind of test I can run to determine if this thing works or not?

Thanks.

bloodstyle

Is your problem flashing an OS in your CB1? Because I actually have a CubieTruck and it took me some times to figure out how to do this (I'm a linux noob).

I've flashed an image of lubuntu into nand with linux LiveSuit. I had to have a version of livesuit which is at least 3.06 (3.05 didnt recognize the image) AND use it with an USB 2.0 port (was trying with 3.0, which didnt worked).

whatshisname

Quote from: bloodstyle on February 02, 2014, 12:41:23 pm
Is your problem flashing an OS in your CB1? Because I actually have a CubieTruck and it took me some times to figure out how to do this (I'm a linux noob).

I've flashed an image of lubuntu into nand with linux LiveSuit. I had to have a version of livesuit which is at least 3.06 (3.05 didnt recognize the image) AND use it with an USB 2.0 port (was trying with 3.0, which didnt worked).

I tried flashing both lubuntu and Android onto the nand.  Problem with both was I couldn't get my board to boot into FEL mode.  I held the FEL button and the start button down in every imaginable combination.  Both at the same time.  One after the other.  The other after the one.  Held them down for 5 seconds, 15 seconds, 2 minutes.  Nothing.

I should mention that I've yet to see a single pixel hit my monitor/tv.  So when I say I get nothing when I try to boot this thing, I literally mean nothing.  The monitor never ever comes out of the bouncing "No audio signal" error message.

rose28357

You need a lot of power while flashing. I use micousb and powerconnector at the same time.

With cubietruck i start phoenix on my windows pc. Cubietruck is already running or is connected to power. Then i do this with reser and fel button.
Press fel and reset
Release reset to start the SoC BootROM
Then after a second release fel.

Phoenix has to show that it ist connected. Chose your image and dont do formating the nand. Formating nand is only neccesary if the board can not boot.

Most of the image boot into hdmi output. Use that for your monitor!

whatshisname

Flashing aside, shouldn't I be able to boot this board with a USB cable plugged into my computer if I'm trying to boot a MicroSD card?  The docs say that I should.  Can you boot that way?

Your point about power is well taken, though, so I'll search out a charger that meets the minimal specs.

Also, I switched out the HDMI cable I was using and it was good.

bloodstyle

I'm able to boot my CT with microUSB to computer, but I don't know about the CB

patwood

I have had no problems booting CB1 and CB2 boards from a USB cable without any wifi or other USB devices other than an keyboard.  I was able to boot the CT with a USB cable, but it was unstable and things like the on-board wifi and bluetooth wouldn't start up or would crash the board when turned on.  Also, some cheap USB cables can barely handle 500mA current, so if your PC can output more, the board may still not receive it.

bloodstyle

I just tried to reflash my CT for a clean install, it didn't worked, wondered why and this is what you should exactly do:

- user version of LiveSuit over 3.05
- Use USB 2.0
- OPEN LIVESUIT AS ROOT (this was the one working for me today)