November 13, 2019, 10:43:35 pm

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Create bootable microSD card

Started by techtalk, January 23, 2014, 12:25:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

techtalk

Hi Everyone,

Today i received my cubietruck. I am planning to make it boot from microsd loaded with Lubuntu server. I use Windows PC.

I downloaded lubuntu image and fired it to microSD card using Win32DiskImager.exe. I inserted it into cubietruck and rebooted thinking that it will boot to lubuntu.

But i think i am wrong. I tried to search for solution, but almost every solution gave me option to create a bootable image using Linux PC.

I am thinking to make android stay in NAND and boot Lubuntu through microSD.

Can someone help me in creating microSD which cubietruck can boot into..

arrhenius

Quote from: techtalk on January 23, 2014, 12:25:43 pm
Hi Everyone,

Today i received my cubietruck. I am planning to make it boot from microsd loaded with Lubuntu server. I use Windows PC.

I downloaded lubuntu image and fired it to microSD card using Win32DiskImager.exe. I inserted it into cubietruck and rebooted thinking that it will boot to lubuntu.

But i think i am wrong. I tried to search for solution, but almost every solution gave me option to create a bootable image using Linux PC.

I am thinking to make android stay in NAND and boot Lubuntu through microSD.

Can someone help me in creating microSD which cubietruck can boot into..

in windows i use http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ for copying the image to the sd

beerstein

am i right when I understood that you are on Win only?
I recommend to get a live CD (Lnux: Xubuntu or similar) and then use Linux to create your distris from images. ;)

techtalk

I used the tool unetbootin and created bootable card. But when i insert it in cubietruck and boot. It boots into default android installed in NAND. Is it possible to instruct cubieboard to boot from sd card or increase its priority.

other method to use live cd sounds good for me. Let me try..

arrhenius

Quote from: techtalk on January 24, 2014, 12:27:56 pm
I used the tool unetbootin and created bootable card. But when i insert it in cubietruck and boot. It boots into default android installed in NAND. Is it possible to instruct cubieboard to boot from sd card or increase its priority.

other method to use live cd sounds good for me. Let me try..

if the sd card is well written cubieboard allways boots from sdcard first.

geemac

If you're having trouble creating the sdcard image try Win32 Disk Imager. It's pretty intuitive. Also when I try a new image I like to wipe the card so I use SD Associations software(SD Formatter 4.0).

beerstein

Hi: I am wondering why there is not enough information on this forum about the boot process used in CB1, CB2 and CB3. I discovered that it is slightly different. It took me 3 days to find out how it works. My goal was to implement Allwinner A10 dCore (from the Tiny Core Linux forum) on my A20 cubietruck.
There is an article "Bootable SD card) at the linux-sunxi.org site. In this article it is mentioned for which CB.
I assumed it is for CB2 - but not sure. There is another article at Rhombus- Tech about A10 boot process.
So please take your time and study that stuff. I will prepare something to help you next week. In the meantime please take a look at my posts regarding that subject.

Questions:
1. Which distribution do you want to boot?
2. Do you know how to recompile a kernel?
3, Which kernel you want to use_?

Use a Live Linux distribution o do the work. Win is no good for this.

patwood

Quote from: beerstein on January 25, 2014, 06:43:34 am
Hi: I am wondering why there is not enough information on this forum about the boot process used in CB1, CB2 and CB3.

Well, there's actually a lot of information on the boot process for all of these, but it's spread across all of god's creation in small snippets here and there.  As you've probably noticed, finding all of it requires very high-level googling skills and a lot of luck.

I discovered that it is slightly different.

For SD card booting, not really.  By the time the BROM bootloader gets to loading stuff off of the SD, the boot process for CB1, 2, and 3 is the same -- just requires different u-boot for A10 and A20.

It took me 3 days to find out how it works. My goal was to implement Allwinner A10 dCore (from the Tiny Core Linux forum) on my A20 cubietruck.
There is an article "Bootable SD card) at the linux-sunxi.org site. In this article it is mentioned for which CB.
I assumed it is for CB2 - but not sure.

That article applies to either, as long as you build/install the proper u-boot and kernel/modules for the CB1, CB2, or CT.

There is another article at Rhombus- Tech about A10 boot process.

The page describing the nand boot process is somewhat A10 specific.  There are subtle differences between the A10 and A20 boot process when booting from nand; however, these don't affect SD booting.  It is an excellent high-level view of how both the A10 and A20 handle the boot process though.  The mmc boot page info can be applied to either the A10 and A20, again if you build for the appropriate target.

I recommend anyone interested in building their own distro to read both pages: http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/a10_boot_process/ and http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/a10_mmc_boot/; just note that the a10_mmc_boot page is a bit out of date -- spl and uboot have been combined into one file, and the git versions and make targets have changed.

Use a Live Linux distribution o do the work. Win is no good for this.

+1

cbnewbie

Hi! I used unetbootin for windows, created the bootable SD Card with the files on it, but it is still not booting the lubuntu from the sd card, but the crappy android from the nand.

When I check the sd card with fdisk I only see one partition. Is that correct? How do I need to prepare the SD card before using unetbootin?