November 13, 2019, 11:23:38 pm

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Cubie..X for NAS, NZB download, tvheadend

Started by Morphy, January 19, 2014, 03:18:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Morphy

Hi
I currently have a RPi running raspbian serving as a USB nas drive with mysql, sabnzbd, couchpotato and sickbeard all running on it for my media server needs. Although it runs ok, its very slow in the gui of sabnzbd and transferring files is painful.
I'm looking at getting either a cubieboard2 or a cubietruck to replace this as I'm hoping with the better specs things will be greatly improved. Was also looking at integrating a tvheadend backend on it too. So my questions are:

1: Is the cubietruck worth the extra cash performance wise vs cubieboard2?
2: CT has 1gb LAN but I've read the sata port maxes out at 100mbps anyway so not much gain on this?
3: Will both have large disk support (GPT) 2TB+?
4: Do these applications run ok on the linux distros available for these boards?
5: Which distro is recommended for these applications? I'm running them on a debian distro on the pi some I'm guessing thats the way to go?

patwood

Quote from: Morphy on January 19, 2014, 03:18:45 pm
Hi
I currently have a RPi running raspbian serving as a USB nas drive with mysql, sabnzbd, couchpotato and sickbeard all running on it for my media server needs. Although it runs ok, its very slow in the gui of sabnzbd and transferring files is painful.
I'm looking at getting either a cubieboard2 or a cubietruck to replace this as I'm hoping with the better specs things will be greatly improved. Was also looking at integrating a tvheadend backend on it too. So my questions are:

The CT and CB2 have the same CPU, so compute performance will be the same.  The CT has Gb ethernet, while the CT2 only has 100Mb ethernet.  Looks like the CT's ethernet is around 5-6x faster than the CB2's right now; it's not clear whether it will improve more as the drivers mature. The CT also has 2x RAM and 2x NAND flash over the CB2, so you can take that into consideration.

2: CT has 1gb LAN but I've read the sata port maxes out at 100mbps anyway so not much gain on this?

The CB2 and CT use the same SATA hardware, so performance will be similar.  The fastest SATA+SSD performance anyone here has reported that I've seen is about 130MB/sec.

Same hardware, same drivers, same kernel == yes.

4: Do these applications run ok on the linux distros available for these boards?
5: Which distro is recommended for these applications? I'm running them on a debian distro on the pi some I'm guessing thats the way to go?

I don't run these applications, so I can't help you there.

con

Quote from: Morphy on January 19, 2014, 03:18:45 pm

See patwoods awnser

My experience is that you won't use the full 1GB because of several other bottlenecks. Anything over 30MB/s (which is about 250mbit) is more than sufficient. My rig uses a ssd on a CT and can max out copying to my NAS at about 27MB/s as that is the max of the NAS. (don't know if it is buffered or raw).

I have no idea why not. Probably kernel/formatting limited.

On my CT i'm running Couchpotato on plain python (no -OO option) with Sickbeard. I used to use sabnzbd but the python backend is simply too slow to decode all the base64 data and I switched to nzbget. It has somewhat less options and sometimes crashes on password protected files but that is infrequent an it can (in contrast to sabnzbd) max out my 60mbit internet connection. You have to compile nzbget yourself from (http://nzbget.sourceforge.net/) and get an update libpar2 from for example the ubuntu repositories on launchpad (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libpar2/0.4-3)

I currently run the -mostly default- 3.4 kernel with debian on top of it.

peter_a

I`m running tvheadend and it will record a program which is one thing I couldn`t get working on the RPI.
For me using samba I`m getting about 27MBs from a standard 2.5 hard drive so I don`t think a SSD helps with speed.
But try to write to a ntfs formatted drive mounted via by the usb 2 port and that is a different matter about 5 MBs.   
The 2 GB is ram isn`t getting used much in my debian build , staying most of the time under 250 MB used , but from my android phone that extra memory is need to run that .

Morphy

Thanks for the replies everyone, most informative :)
Still undecided on which I'm going to go with, probably the CT for the extra bit of $. I'm running Sabnzbd on the pi at the moment and the gui is pretty slow everything else I can cope with as I just leave it running and never in too much of a rush for anything. It has some features I need though which nzbget doesnt I dont think.
Sounds like setting this up could be a challenge for my newb linux skills, I've learnt a lot since setting it all up on the pi though so hopefully will stand me in good stead for my next challenge! If not I will more than likely be back around here to pick your brains! Thanks again guys :)

Morphy

Quote from: peter_a on January 22, 2014, 12:57:37 pm
I`m running tvheadend and it will record a program which is one thing I couldn`t get working on the RPI.
For me using samba I`m getting about 27MBs from a standard 2.5 hard drive so I don`t think a SSD helps with speed.
But try to write to a ntfs formatted drive mounted via by the usb 2 port and that is a different matter about 5 MBs.   
The 2 GB is ram isn`t getting used much in my debian build , staying most of the time under 250 MB used , but from my android phone that extra memory is need to run that .

Regarding the tvheadend have you managed to get timeshift working ok?

con

If you want to be complete:
Running deluge and deluge-web for your torrents (if any) on the CT will work fine. I have no problems as of yet.

Morphy

Quote from: con on January 22, 2014, 07:21:07 am
I currently run the -mostly default- 3.4 kernel with debian on top of it.

Well I've got a CubieTruck :) and have put lubuntu server on it. Slowly getting things together.
Is there an advantage to running debian? Not seeing it on official dl page I thought lubuntu would be more stable..
Which version are you running?
Also, how do I tell which kernel I'm running and how do I flash that?

con

It's a CB2 (cubian) image with a CT kernel/modules on top of it (kernel from lubuntu image).