Author Topic: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS + Mali400  (Read 26908 times)

ikeeki

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS + Mali400
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 12:23:08 pm »
OK, gonna buy 10 class card, I cant wait to test the 6GB .img with mali support.
Expect my wife does not discover me auto-stealing-me ten-bucks XDXDXD.

Offline Delectable

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 06:07:01 pm »
I use the latest samsung microSDHC with a advertised transfer speed up to 48 mb/s (class 10).

I tried installing my image on the NAND but I don't perceive it as being faster. I guess there isn't much difference and when using an appropriate SD card the performance is the same.

Matcaw

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 05:05:06 pm »
Thanks for setting up this image.   It works just fine for me with the sd card, but I wanted to use if for a charting application that has to read lots of data as the vessel moves from place to place or as the user zooms to a more localized chart.  My hope was that a Solid State Drive (SSD) mounted on the SATA connector would be faster than the sd card.   It is supposed to be, but the devil might be in the details.   I can read/write the SSD when I boot the cubie and keep the root file system on the sd card.  I have powered it from a supply that is more reliable than the power from the cubie board connector.  I have not been able to mount the SSD as the root directory with the root=/dev/sda.....  command. (you can see the post under the beginners section).  The boot process is unable to connect to the SSD at that time.  The precise error is   'VFS: Cannot open root device "/dev/sda2"'.   

Are the Sata drivers compiled into the kernel or built as loadable modules?   If they are compiled in they will not be usable during the booting and establishing of the root drive.  if not, are you interested in compiling them in?   If not, can you point me to the steps to compile my own kernel?

Thanks,
 Matt

ikeeki

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 01:27:34 pm »
Finally¬°¬°¬°
I have tested the image, in a trascend 10 class card.
My feelings about the .img are mixed.
It is weird the fact that you can run gl gears soooo smoothly, an incredible fast booting, a great color, the first impression that you really have a real ubuntu 12.04 in your hands (as I have on my laptop...)... but in the other hand, it seems that the mem consuption is quite high (686 Mb rapidly, and only 42 MB left after launching a couple of windows or browser tabs). It does not seem to have very good (or any) 2d acceleration so the transparencies look really good, but you miss more fps when moving simple windows. You cannot change resolution from desktop menus, neither color depth, and the ubuntu store launchs an error every time you (I) launch it. Then there are apps that are not really useful, at least for its performance, like video launchers, update app, backup utility, mozilla (better chromium in my opinion), but you can remove them ( I think) anyways. Maybe a script would make the chmod 777 work you have to do at the beginning of the session.
You cannot launch youtube vids at the first chance (at least I cant), and .rar does not work for me, I think it is not available for armhf. It is great to have gedit again, and the purple of terminal. I highly recomend it as the most complete (and almost the nly decent one) image ever for the cubie. So I think I'll give a mark of only 14 out of ten, and I'll use it until I someone gets good 2d acceleration for the cubie, wich I consider more useful for cubie users rather than 3d. Shutdown/reboot button does not work, A simple executable script will work.

CONGRATULATIONS DELECTABLE, YOU'RE A FU***NG GURU.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 05:00:49 pm by ikeeki »

ikeeki

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 03:52:26 pm »
Workaround permissions for mali and ump.

1 Create a document, for example maliump.sh
2 Write
Code: [Select]
sleep -10 ; sudo chmod 777 /dev/mali ; chmod 777 /dev/ump3 Give it execution permissions and save it where you want.
4 Push super (f*****g windows button :( ) and write startup. Push startup aplications icon.
5 In command, just add the path of the .sh you created, for example /home/linaro/Desktop/limaump.sh.
6 Save and close.
7 Reboot, after few seconds (very few, maybe 4 or 5), you'll have enabled mali drivers.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:59:01 pm by ikeeki »

ikeeki

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 04:54:33 pm »
Script.bin for setting 720p 50, slighty faster, in my opinion.

http://ul.to/98gw0iyv

It will appear an error message, only at the first booting, say yes or whatever.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:58:04 pm by ikeeki »

Laffer

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2014, 09:41:18 am »
I installed your image and it is working fine. But I would like to move the / Filesystem to my SATA drive. Could you give me a step by step guide how to do it?