September 27, 2020, 02:33:49 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Cubiuntu 0.6 for A20 with 3.4.75+ kernel

Started by patwood, December 30, 2013, 09:17:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rainer

January 30, 2014, 11:15:07 am #75 Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:24:21 am by rainer
YESSSS the trick with the external player is running fine with files and streaming...
currently I'm not able to stop playback... but its working... :)

when the movie stops, system freezes....total unstable....

how can we get an actual version of xbmc to the cubie? what needs to be ported?
there were also some libraries not found when I tried to make the dependencies which i had to skip...
so the xbmc installation itself could be not ok as well...

rainer

when i want to do apt-get build-dep xbmc it says that i need to add some source-URIs for the in the sources.list-file.
I then made add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa which placed a new file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/team-xbmc-ppa-precise.list
I also added the links from that file in the sources.list file...

But build-dep gives me always the same fault...
any hints?

thx
rainer

ikeeki

exxos

February 05, 2014, 04:30:46 pm #79 Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 04:38:43 pm by exxos
Hi There,

I have looked into detail the boot loading via UART for this kernel (Patwood A20 3.4.75+) and I have noticed some points:

This note could be rephrased?

<5>Linux version 3.4.75-sun7i+ (pwood@pwood-laptop.patrickhwood.dyndns.org) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) ) #37 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 31 00:22:38 EST 2013

Some issues with the usb manager

[usb_manager]: CONFIG_USB_SW_SUNXI_USB0_OTG
WRN:L287(/home/pwood/arm/mk802/linux-sunxi/drivers/usb/sunxi_usb/manager/usb_manager.c):ERR: det_vbus pin is invaild
WRN:L426(/home/pwood/arm/mk802/linux-sunxi/drivers/usb/sunxi_usb/manager/usb_manager.c):ERR: check_usb_board_info failed
WRN:L480(/home/pwood/arm/mk802/linux-sunxi/drivers/usb/sunxi_usb/manager/usb_manager.c):ERR: get_usb_cfg failed

The CPU frequency set to 912Mhz whereas the it is given for 1Ghz

<6>[cpu_freq] INF:sunxi_cpufreq_initcall, get cpu frequency from sysconfig, max freq: 912MHz, min freq: 384MHz
[    3.080968] [cpu_freq] INF:sunxi_cpufreq_initcall, get cpu frequency from sysconfig, max freq: 912MHz, min freq: 384MHz

Question ? Does the pwm_sunxi need to be loaded as module or is it embedded to this kernel?

[info] Loading kernel module pwm_sunxi.
modprobe: FATAL: Module pwm_sunxi not found.

The GPU frequency that does not feet 400Mhz?

[   23.137526] mali: use config clk_div 3
<6>mali: clk_div 3
[   23.143120] mali: clk_div 3
Mali: mali clock set completed, clock is  320000000 Hz

Otherwise, this kernel configuration seems to be fine. So, I would thank Patwood very much for his great job. It saved me lot's of time! Thant you, thank you!

Cheers,
exxos.

patwood

Quote from: exxos on February 05, 2014, 04:30:46 pm
Hi There,

I have looked into detail the boot loading via UART for this kernel (Patwood A20 3.4.75+) and I have noticed some points:

This note could be rephrased?

<5>Linux version 3.4.75-sun7i+ (pwood@pwood-laptop.patrickhwood.dyndns.org) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) ) #37 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 31 00:22:38 EST 2013

The text for this message is automatically generated by the kernel build system.  I have no control over it.

Some issues with the usb manager

[usb_manager]: CONFIG_USB_SW_SUNXI_USB0_OTG
WRN:L287(/home/pwood/arm/mk802/linux-sunxi/drivers/usb/sunxi_usb/manager/usb_manager.c):ERR: det_vbus pin is invaild
WRN:L426(/home/pwood/arm/mk802/linux-sunxi/drivers/usb/sunxi_usb/manager/usb_manager.c):ERR: check_usb_board_info failed
WRN:L480(/home/pwood/arm/mk802/linux-sunxi/drivers/usb/sunxi_usb/manager/usb_manager.c):ERR: get_usb_cfg failed

I don't get these specific messages; however, I get others depending on whether the OTG port is connected to a host or not.  I believe you will always get some set of warnings from the driver depending on the type of USB (host, client, or none) that's connected to the port, the script.bin settings, and whether a gadget driver is loaded.  There are certainly issues with the allwinner USB OTG drivers; for example, see http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,1426.0.html.  It is unlikely they'll be addressed in the 3.4 kernel.

The CPU frequency set to 912Mhz whereas the it is given for 1Ghz

<6>[cpu_freq] INF:sunxi_cpufreq_initcall, get cpu frequency from sysconfig, max freq: 912MHz, min freq: 384MHz
[    3.080968] [cpu_freq] INF:sunxi_cpufreq_initcall, get cpu frequency from sysconfig, max freq: 912MHz, min freq: 384MHz

This is probably coming from u-boot, not the kernel:

#ifdef CONFIG_SUN7I
        clock_set_pll1(912000000);
#else
        clock_set_pll1(1008000000);
#endif

It is the default setting for all builds using the linux-sunxi u-boot.

You can, of course, set the cpu frequency to any reasonable value you want using the cpufrequtils package or the sysfs files in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq.

Question ? Does the pwm_sunxi need to be loaded as module or is it embedded to this kernel?

[info] Loading kernel module pwm_sunxi.
modprobe: FATAL: Module pwm_sunxi not found.

To find out about the status of any module, just look in the included config:

# zgrep PWM /proc/config
# CONFIG_ATMEL_PWM is not set
# CONFIG_SUNXI_PWM is not set

The GPU frequency that does not feet 400Mhz?

[   23.137526] mali: use config clk_div 3
<6>mali: clk_div 3
[   23.143120] mali: clk_div 3
Mali: mali clock set completed, clock is  320000000 Hz

According to the allwinner docs, the maximum clock for mali is 381MHz.  Also, the cedarx video decoder and mali share the same clock (pll4); I don't know what the cedarx max clock is, but the allwinner source code maxes it out on the A10 at 320MHz. Their A20 code allows much higher speeds, but testing (on only one sample) showed problems above 384MHz.  Because of this, without a lot of testing of lots of samples, I don't think any clock speed above 320MHz for the video decoder should be considered "safe" for production.

The pll4 clock is set to 960MHz in the script.bin, and the mali frequency set by dividing this with mali_clkdiv (3).  This is probably the best choice for this clock, as the Mali speed of 320 is reasonable, and 960 has a lot of integer divisors (the cedarx driver dynamically selects the decoder clock speed based on requests from the video player software and the available integer divisors of pll4).  You can experiment with this by changing pll4 and mali_clkdiv in the script.bin if you want.

Otherwise, this kernel configuration seems to be fine. So, I would thank Patwood very much for his great job. It saved me lot's of time! Thant you, thank you!

Cheers,
exxos.

You're quite welcome!  I'll look into adding the PWM module to the next build.

patwood

VonGriffin

So far the best image for my cubie , anything i need just there

keep up the good work pat.

egbertje

Hello All,

Im new here and use this image for some time and works very good.
I installed it on an SD card.
Now i want to add an SSD to my cubieboard2, but i dont want to install everything new again.
What is the easiest way to do this, so the cubie boots from nand or SD and the OS is on the SSD.

VonGriffin

yeah patwood can you do a guide for us nublets please ?

was trying myself and crashed my ssd   :-\

esiravegna

Does somebody else have issues with connection dropping via ssh? I'm currently trying to build up xbmc, and every 5 minutes or so, the connection dies, no log whatsoever to be found in syslog.
The only thing I did to the image is to disable the lxde autoload.
Thanks!

esiravegna

Wait, its even weirder...I think it has to do with the number of lines being displayed. A top or dmesg completely trashes the connection.
No idea on what its going on...tried a different network cable  and power source, to no avail.

esiravegna

Ok, a step closer, but non functional nonetheless.

Sucessfully built xbmc using the sunxi guide, working like a charm, even with the usb soundcard I bought to use my ancient and analog home theater speakers.
Initially I had some issues with the linaro user running xbmc, solved by adding the user to the vid group and changing access mode to the input devices.
However,the very sparse files I could reproduce on 720p and above, the performance was just awful, with a lot of pink artifacts, laggy and choppy. As per my knowledge, the system is using the cedar libs and libhybris (at least I got that from the rainer and patwood comments).
Any ideas are welcomed.

symbios24

Quote from: patwood on December 30, 2013, 09:17:00 pm
I have uploaded a new CUBIUNTU for the A20 with the latest 3.4.75+ kernel.  HW video decode is working, and libhybris is integrated: http://linux-sunxi.org/CedarX/libve.  This solves issues with weighted P-frame prediction in files like the Sintel movie trailer described here: http://linux-sunxi.org/CedarXVideoRenderingChart.

http://dl.cubieforums.com/patwood/Cubiuntu0.6.5b-a20.img.xz
size: 901406416, md5: 994133991092ca09a1d0e9e44ed31353

As before passwords are root/root linaro/linaro.

No, xbmc isn't in this version.

Hello is in this version wifi works out of the box and also is network manager running-working normal or it needs manual running every time?

patwood

I don't run network manager, so all network configuration that I do is with /etc/network/interfaces.  In this case, wifi works just fine on both the CB2 and CT.  You should probably be looking at the newer versions of Cubiuntu that ikeeki has been doing, as they have more useful features.

Perhaps someone who has tried network manager can comment here.