News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

cb2 OS for video playing and emulators and so on

Started by totalguy, January 05, 2014, 02:00:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

totalguy

after stabbing in the dark a fair bit i find myself back to square one :(

im back to the stage of what OS to use for my cubieboard 2

i want to play video files such as avi mp4 mkv you know the usual stuff.

a bittorrent client would be nice

im also wanting to use emulators for systems such as atari sega nintendo psx etc.

is it possible to connect to a nas drive? on my windows pc i map the nas drive in my computer then access it like i would any other hard drive.

wifi dongle, im going to need one but i dont want too much of a headache trying to get one to work so i need to know what my options are. ive seen one mentioned realtek rtl8188 seems like a good option?

my main storage will be a usb hard drive in a caddy powered seperately but i would like to learn about streaming also so i can learn how to access a drive and stream from it as i know ill be asked about this.

at this point anything else is a bonus. i have my cubieboard and a 16gb card to play with although i would consider using the nand. i connect the cubieboard power via pc (or on my other tv via the service usb port). i have a wired eithernet connection for now but it will need to go wireless

Saegematz

For me, I like the android Image on my CT.
All other Images are not so fast for Video decoding.
I think you can find all apps you need for Android.
Outside Playstore are much more apps.
Try the linux Images on SD-Card and leave the Android on Nand.
Have fun.

dd

Web surfing is much faster and desktop experience with lubunto then with android, and linux applications like libreoffice and other media editing is much like pc.

In another post there is a talk about boot manager to load linux and android, but no one made that yet.

totalguy

Quote from: Saegematz on January 06, 2014, 03:39:11 am
For me, I like the android Image on my CT.
All other Images are not so fast for Video decoding.
I think you can find all apps you need for Android.
Outside Playstore are much more apps.
Try the linux Images on SD-Card and leave the Android on Nand.
Have fun.

if i have android on the nand anything from play store should work? from what im led to believe, software needs to be made to work with the cubieboard hardware or is that more to do with the kinux side ?

because if i can run anything from play store and other places for apps then i will do that because i already found several apps in play store that i could use.

totalguy

Quote from: dd on January 06, 2014, 04:48:32 am
Web surfing is much faster and desktop experience with lubunto then with android, and linux applications like libreoffice and other media editing is much like pc.

In another post there is a talk about boot manager to load linux and android, but no one made that yet.

web surfing for me isnt a priority as long as it works im ok with it. I read about linux and android in another thread, would it not be easy to just eject the sd card and run android from nand and linux from the sd card?  i know its something extra to do but it should work ?

Saegematz

Quote from: totalguy on January 06, 2014, 06:32:00 am
if i have android on the nand anything from play store should work? from what im led to believe, software needs to be made to work with the cubieboard hardware or is that more to do with the kinux side ?
because if i can run anything from play store and other places for apps then i will do that because i already found several apps in play store that i could use.

The Android Image with kernel 3.2 has no Problem with PlayStore (Youtube, Chrome).
The newer Android Image with kernel 3.4 has Problem with Apps like Youtube and
Chrome, but you can install this apps from external Websites.
I have seen Bittorrent Apps, but only outside Playstore.
Try it, have fun.
And yes, you can have Android on NAND and Linux on SD-Card.

dd

There  are lot of premade images, (you can use CB2/CB3, they are much the same)  you can find them here: http://www.dl.cubieboard.org/software and other places on the forum,
You can burn them to SD by Phoenixcard, you can find a lot of explanation for that on the forum.

When you put the card into CuB before powering it will load linux, if you do not, it will load android.

totalguy

Quote from: Saegematz on January 06, 2014, 06:59:02 am
The Android Image with kernel 3.2 has no Problem with PlayStore (Youtube, Chrome).
The newer Android Image with kernel 3.4 has Problem with Apps like Youtube and
Chrome, but you can install this apps from external Websites.
I have seen Bittorrent Apps, but only outside Playstore.
Try it, have fun.
And yes, you can have Android on NAND and Linux on SD-Card.

do you know if the android images you mention work with logitech k400 wireless keyboard with touchpad? with out adding anything to them? most of the linux ones work with it

Saegematz

Phönixcard doesn't work for me.
It said everytime that one script is missing in the image file.

I tried to use my logitech touchpad, that is very similar to logitech k400,
but was not working yet. Sorry.

totalguy

Quote from: dd on January 06, 2014, 07:16:38 am
There  are lot of premade images, (you can use CB2/CB3, they are much the same)  you can find them here: http://www.dl.cubieboard.org/software and other places on the forum,
You can burn them to SD by Phoenixcard, you can find a lot of explanation for that on the forum.

When you put the card into CuB before powering it will load linux, if you do not, it will load android.

yeah ive figured out how to flash images i use win32 disk manager, phoenix suite doesnt work for me i think its because i have a built in card reader on my pc so i put the sd card in there, and phoenix suite is looking for the card via usb and it never finds it.

do you know if the android images are for nand or sd card? i cant seem to find instructions to write to nand although i have seen some images for nand

totalguy

Quote from: Saegematz on January 06, 2014, 07:22:42 am
Phönixcard doesn't work for me.
It said everytime that one script is missing in the image file.

I tried to use my logitech touchpad, that is very similar to logitech k400,
but was not working yet. Sorry.

try win32 disk manager i have no problems with that and also you could try SUSE image writer that worked for me also.

i wonder if its difficult to add a driver for the keyboard to the image? or even perhaps to just add the driver after the OS is put on

dd

You have meant:  win32diskimager,  this is for burning SD images to sd,

You can use PhoenixUSBpro/PhoenixSuit for burning NAND images to nand, you need to enter CuB to FEL mode before connecting the USB cable,

Regarding drivers: in linux,You can put them after first boot. I suppose you can do the same in android if you have root access

totalguy

Quote from: dd on January 06, 2014, 08:03:08 am
You have meant:  win32diskimager,  this is for burning SD images to sd,

You can use PhoenixUSBpro/PhoenixSuit for burning NAND images to nand, you need to enter CuB to FEL mode before connecting the USB cable,

Regarding drivers: in linux,You can put them after first boot. I suppose you can do the same in android if you have root access

yes i meant disk imager lol i read it wrong on my pc.

im assuming the process to install android is the same as what i saw for installing ubuntu onto nand that i saw on youtube.....

this is basically:
(no sd card in slot)

plug usb cable into pc hold fel button and insert micro usb end of usb cable into the cubieboard then allow windows to install drivers then disconnect the usb cable from the cubieboard.

next open phoenix suite browse for image (do not click upgrade button) then hold fel button on cubieboard and put the mini usb cable in above it.

next on phoenix suite it asks do you want to format choose yes then phoenix suite will install image.

turn off cubieboard and then plug in all the normal things, hdmi power plug etc

rose28357

I use phoenix much simpler....
1) start phoenix
2) chose image On the firmware tab if not already done. Phoenix remebers the last used image.
3) plug in the usb on pc and cubietruck.
4) reboot ct by holding fel button, press and release reset button, release fel button.
5) phoenix ask for formating. If cubie had booted, we dont need formating the nand => no
6) phoenix starts nand writing. At the end it boots cubietruck into new os. Just leave phoenix.

The first boot after new install takes much longer because some linux versions once do extra install procedures.

totalguy

thats great :) now all i need to do is get my wireless keyboard working with android