October 17, 2019, 12:08:57 pm

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Buster, Xenial and Bionic - updated 6.7.2019

Started by slovenia, December 24, 2013, 03:23:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beerstein

Hi: please dont get me wrong. I thought after booting it might install into nand automatically. I want to keep my android 4.2.2
It runs lightning fast - great work
I discovered that you have openssh and dropbear installed. Can these two guys live together?
I discovered that Android has dropbear and I had difficulties to connect with openssh on my Linux Mint 14 machine into dropbear on my CT in Android.
Do you plan to do a desktop in the near future?

beerstein

hi arrhenius:

i use bs=4M  instead of 1M and works for me, but i have no idea what means..
The 1M worked for me. I also have no idea what it means - but it works.
Did you try to put a tiny gui onto this server?
I know a server system does not need a gui, but since slovenia only has a server I might play around a bit.
It is very interesting and smart how slovenia did that raw image which generates just one partition.

I am with the Tiny Core Linux forum and I would like to port their Core to the CT. Tiny Core is a minimalistic Linux with a very smart concept. It would be great if I could get this Linux (it is more a toolkit) to run on CT.
I hope I can learn a bit from slovenia.
Have a good one

arrhenius

Quote from: beerstein on January 16, 2014, 01:35:31 pm
hi arrhenius:

i use bs=4M  instead of 1M and works for me, but i have no idea what means..
The 1M worked for me. I also have no idea what it means - but it works.
Did you try to put a tiny gui onto this server?
I know a server system does not need a gui, but since slovenia only has a server I might play around a bit.
It is very interesting and smart how slovenia did that raw image which generates just one partition.

I am with the Tiny Core Linux forum and I would like to port their Core to the CT. Tiny Core is a minimalistic Linux with a very smart concept. It would be great if I could get this Linux (it is more a toolkit) to run on CT.
I hope I can learn a bit from slovenia.
Have a good one

i tried lxde in CT and work well (i used cubieez image), but, like slovenia, i am interested in using CT as server, so now im using Slovenia's image, it fits better my needs. 

For "desktop" needs i reboot on NAND/Android, it works fine too.

slovenia

Quote from: beerstein on January 16, 2014, 01:25:13 pm
Hi: please dont get me wrong. I thought after booting it might install into nand automatically. I want to keep my android 4.2.2
It runs lightning fast - great work
I discovered that you have openssh and dropbear installed. Can these two guys live together?
I discovered that Android has dropbear and I had difficulties to connect with openssh on my Linux Mint 14 machine into dropbear on my CT in Android.
Do you plan to do a desktop in the near future?

Thanks. SSH - I removed dropbear from script yesterday but I don't think to build new image for that. Thanks for noticing. It's a small and unimportant change. Dropbear is installed but disabled by default from the moment when openssh is being installed. No problems about that "bug". I know that there must be bugs but they are either small or not important.

Making a good image is a way better than making a perfect one.  ::)

Desktop version ... I'll probably stick to CLI :)
Debian and Ubuntu images with kernel 3.4.110, 4.3.3, 4.4
http://www.armbian.com

beerstein

In computers and technology the word "perfect" does not exist. A bug is also not a problem, because bugs can be fixed. You did a great job. Thank you.
I will try to put a small gui on it and may come back with some questions - if this is OK

beerstein

Hi slovenia. I used the openssh client to copy files over in my Mint14 Linux.The speed was only
350 KB/s
This is strange

slovenia

Quote from: beerstein on January 16, 2014, 03:27:07 pm
Hi slovenia. I used the openssh client to copy files over in my Mint14 Linux.The speed was only
350 KB/s
This is strange

ssh copy encrypt the transfer and that's why it's slow(er). Use FTP, test with different files and consider the limit of your network/other rig.

patwood

Quote from: beerstein on January 16, 2014, 12:08:16 pm
Hi: I downloaded the CTDebian_1.4_vga.zip and unzipped into .raw
Then I wrote the image to SD card using :
$ sudo dd bs=1M ifCTDebbian_1.4_vga.raw of=dev/sdc
it wrote the image on sd - but just an ext4 partition - no boot and no boot loader.

How can that happen? Please help
Thank you

Not all distros have a fat32 boot partition; it's possible to configure u-boot to read the kernel and script.bin files directly from the ext4 rootfs (look in the /boot directory to see if these files are there).

The bs=1M means to read and write data in blocks of 1MB; the default block size for dd is 512 bytes, which is a little small for efficient writing.  For most SD cards, efficiency increases as the block size increase up to around 128K or so depending on the card; 1MB blocks should provide maximum throughput for just about any SD card.  Larger is okay, but probably not any faster.

beerstein

Hi:
Thank you so much for your help.
I was puzzled that slovenias sd card boots from a single ext4 partition. No /boot no /root no /swap visible in gparted.The first sector of the ext4 partition starts at sector 2048. So I assume that the boot-loader is located before that. I thought to boot in Allwinner ARM I need that boot-loader before sector 2048 and after that I need an ext2 boot partition and another ext3/ext4 partition for root? And where is the /swap partition?

fatman

Hi there,

Your CT image is great and help me to setup a MPD server very easily.
Btw, I would like to clone my SDCARD (manual build) image into nand. I have run your nand-install script without error, and it prompt to reboot it at finally.
After pushing out the SDCARD, the CT seem cannot boot anymore, no LED (only has red power LED), no display. Do you have any idea on it?

Thx

slovenia

Tnx. Huh ... no idea at the moment.

Did you wait a bit longer? Do it again. Install Ubuntu nand image with Phoenix tools ... try if that works.

Script was written quick (i admit it's dirty  :P) and sure I could missed something but it's working for me and there are few positive reports.

maxx

January 17, 2014, 02:10:03 pm #101 Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:21:16 pm by maxx
Hi fatman,

sorry, stupid question: do you run 'nand-install.sh' twice?  :-[

- 1.  do as root 'nand-install.sh'
.     => " WARNING "
.     => 'yes'
.     => " Partitioning "
.     => " Press a key to reboot than run this script again! "
.     => 'hit-a-key'
.     => auto reboot with insert SD Card

- 2.  login as root => 'nand-install.sh'
.     => " WARNING "
.     => 'yes'
.     => " Formatting and optimizing NAND rootfs ... up to 30 sec
.     => " Creating NAND bootfs ... few seconds
.     => download a file
.     => extract
.     => " Creating NAND rootfs ... up to 5 min "
.     => copying date
.     => " All done. Press a key to power off, than remove SD and boot from NAND "
.     => 'hit-a-key' 
.     => auto poweroff (LED off)
.     => remove SD
.     => press power switch a few seconds 
.     => boot from NAND (LED flicker)
.     => login

Sorry, mean no harm.

cu
maxx

fatman

Hi Slovenia and maxx,

Thanks your update.
I have run the script for 2 times.

Thus, after the second one, it reboot without any LED flicker, and I have also waited for at least 10min, but no hope..

Btw, are there any method I can burn my SDCARD image into NAND? I have tried other NAND android image without this problem.

Thx

slovenia

QuoteThanks your update.
I have run the script for 2 times.

Thank you. There is clearly some problem and I will be glad if you try one thing more. I want to get to the bottom of the problem too.

I attached a nand-bootloader. Boot with SD, copy this file to CT, unzip and:

dd if=nand.mbr.img of=/dev/nand bs=1M count=1

It will done in a second. Power off. Remove SD ... try booting from NAND one more time - if you still have copy of my debian there otherwise install it again + this new file.

QuoteBtw, are there any method I can burn my SDCARD image into NAND? I have tried other NAND android image without this problem.

Directly? None. There is a nand-install script with another distro - Cubian but it's not fully supporting Cubietruck yet. One way of using NAND is with Phoenix suite, like you probably already tested. But creating images for this is another project - you can not flash SD image with Phoenix.

helios

Well, i think, i have the same problem, but i don't think that this behavior related to distro, i suspect that there is some NAND issues (may be corrupted NAND). PhoenixSuite can't burn firmware and stucks on 88%.