Author Topic: Buster, Xenial and Bionic - updated 6.7.2019  (Read 733241 times)

Offline slovenia

• View Profile
Re: Wheezy server for SD, SATA or NAND with hotspot - update 27.2.2014
« Reply #270 on: March 10, 2014, 09:34:57 am »
Cubietruck here.
Downloaded, installed your distro. Due to lack of wiring, running it over wifi. The adapter sporadically disconnects and reconnects on its own. Used wpa_supplicant to connect.
Also noticed some strange "eth0: connected 10M/H" in syslog. There's no cable plugged!

Tried Fedora 20 before: stable, but I can't boot with custom kernel. Now am trying yours.

I haven't noticed or heard for this kind of troubles with current WI-FI firmware.  ??? I guess we are all using the same firmware ... or not?

If this can help you somehow: my router setup: DD-WRT @Atheros, WPA2 personal with AES, NG mixed
Debian and Ubuntu images with kernel 3.4.110, 4.3.3, 4.4
http://www.armbian.com

Offline slovenia

• View Profile
Re: Wheezy server for SD, SATA or NAND with hotspot - update 27.2.2014 -III
« Reply #271 on: March 10, 2014, 09:38:17 am »
Another obstacle is, that i can't connect to ssh, since the root password will be rejected during authentication.

I know you have now resolved this, but since updating to v 1.7 I haven't been able to SSH in. Worked fine with v1.6. Now router no longer registers Cubie is on the network.

Not sure if it's something I am doing wrong of if any network settings are amended on the latest version.

You usually got new IP because MAC address is changed. If you got same IP you can't SSH in because your ssh keys are new/changed too. Usually your SSH client prompt that out and ask you to save new configuration.

There were no changes in or near network configuration in 1.7

Offline Ireng

• View Profile
Wheezy server for SD, SATA or NAND with hotspot - update 27.2.2014 -IV
« Reply #272 on: March 10, 2014, 09:39:47 am »
The reason for the authetication problem with ssh was the mistyping in resolv.conf. Since then everything works so fa so good!
In ssh the german locale and keyboard are present. If I connect direktly to the Cubietruck in terminal mode, locale de is present, german keyboard after several (dpkg-reconfigutre keyoard-configuration) ist still nocht available.

i can live with that at the moment, since ssh is working fine!

Regards, Ireng

cu6apum

« Reply #273 on: March 10, 2014, 10:22:44 am »

I haven't noticed or heard for this kind of troubles with current WI-FI firmware.  ??? I guess we are all using the same firmware ... or not?

If this can help you somehow: my router setup: DD-WRT @Atheros, WPA2 personal with AES, NG mixed
Well, I use apple airport WPA2/TKIP, and under fedora it's not flickering for days...
Another bug: when you detach an USB keyboard, the system falls into endless error loop... unacceptable for server, huh?

Offline rose28357

• View Profile
Re: Wheezy server for SD, SATA or NAND with hotspot - update 27.2.2014 -IV
« Reply #274 on: March 10, 2014, 10:59:14 am »
..... If I connect direktly to the Cubietruck in terminal mode, locale de is present, german keyboard after several (dpkg-reconfigutre keyoard-configuration) ist still nocht available.
Have installed the language pack befor doing reconfiguration  ?
Code: [Select]
$sudo apt-get install language-pack-de-base   

Offline Ireng

• View Profile
Wheezy server for SD, SATA or NAND with hotspot - update 27.2.2014 -V
« Reply #275 on: March 10, 2014, 04:02:24 pm »
Hi rose28367,
thnaks for your advice. However th ecommand $sudo apt-get install language-pack-de-base
does not give any results. The package ist not available.

It seems, that everything is working now perfect in german language.

Regards, Ireng

Offline slovenia

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 10, 2014, 05:08:00 pm »
Well, I use apple airport WPA2/TKIP, and under fedora it's not flickering for days...
Another bug: when you detach an USB keyboard, the system falls into endless error loop... unacceptable for server, huh?

Latest Fedora for NAND ... We both uses same kernel (version, not build) and probably same firmware for wifi ... configuration is more or less default. I have to dig in to find out what could be the problem. (I am using CT as access point and haven't detect any troubles)

There is no warranty for (all) external devices to work properly since there are too many of them but the Linux community is trying to fix things promptly - a keyboard bug is most likely a kernel related bug where is little I can do. It might help to pass issue to kernel developers.

But before that let's hear if someone else run into the USB KEYBOARD UNPLUG problem? It might be a power related issue.

cu6apum

« Reply #277 on: March 11, 2014, 02:29:19 am »
slovenia, I'm not trying to claim for tech support, I know Pat's just a guy willing to share. I'm just reporting!

Power related - highly probable. The board audibly buzzes at ~15kHz when the kbd is in. The only diff is that Fe unplugs it correctly.
Yesterday I found out occassionally that the error loop is not infinite. It rolls for 10 min and ends up in de-hanging the cubie. Afterwards I can plug the kb back and it works again.
Maybe wifi is for the same reason?

Offline slovenia

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 11, 2014, 03:42:09 am »
slovenia, I'm not trying to claim for tech support, I know Pat's just a guy willing to share. I'm just reporting!

Power related - highly probable. The board audibly buzzes at ~15kHz when the kbd is in. The only diff is that Fe unplugs it correctly.
Yesterday I found out occassionally that the error loop is not infinite. It rolls for 10 min and ends up in de-hanging the cubie. Afterwards I can plug the kb back and it works again.
Maybe wifi is for the same reason?

This buzzing is somehow normal. USB plug / unplug troubles can be related to USB redirector module which is started by default. Disable it and report (i don't have any usb keyboard to test this scenario):

update-rc.d rc.usbsrvd remove
reboot

Offline Sloop

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 11, 2014, 07:25:00 am »
Hello. I am a newbie who just ordered my first Cubietruck which I want attach a 2.5" hard disk (1TB) to. I am only experiences with Raspberry Pi's, so these are my first steps. As I am a Debian lover I would like to use of course a Debian based OS on my cubietruck.

But I don't understand what exactly differs to a Cubian image. I have heard of "Cubian" OS for the Cubietruck but now I read this topic here. What is special on this image and how should I decide if using this image or the "default" Cubian image? any help appreciated.

EDIT: I should add, that I want my cubietruck run as a server with packages like "samba4", "zarafa", "drbd", "nginx", "php5-fpm", "mysql", "openvpn-server", and so on ....

Offline slovenia

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 11, 2014, 09:46:13 am »
Hello. I am a newbie who just ordered my first Cubietruck which I want attach a 2.5" hard disk (1TB) to. I am only experiences with Raspberry Pi's, so these are my first steps. As I am a Debian lover I would like to use of course a Debian based OS on my cubietruck.

But I don't understand what exactly differs to a Cubian image. I have heard of "Cubian" OS for the Cubietruck but now I read this topic here. What is special on this image and how should I decide if using this image or the "default" Cubian image? any help appreciated.

EDIT: I should add, that I want my cubietruck run as a server with packages like "samba4", "zarafa", "drbd", "nginx", "php5-fpm", "mysql", "openvpn-server", and so on ....

At the time I got Cubietruck there was no clean Debian for Cubietruck, Cubian for CT was not operational and Ubuntu based distro is not an option for me. That's the short story and one of the reasons for starting the project which core is actually a shell build script. My Debian tend to be clean, minimal and CLI only, while Cubian tends to be more. Both are community supported / tweaked.

I might be wrong but I think what's here and not else - working hostapd, performance tweaks: ramlog, ramtmp, ramlock, sharing USB ports over network, working install to NAND, one image for CT / Cubieboard 2, one SD card partition ...

I am successfully running the following services: Wifi AP with hostap, SSH, Pure FTP, Samba, TV headend, Transmission, BitTorrent Sync, SoftEther VPN server, CUPS, scan with scanner buttons + OCR, Postfix, Dovecot, Apache2, PHP, Mysql + phpMyAdmin, ISPConfig 3
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:52:44 am by slovenia »

Offline Sloop

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 11, 2014, 05:20:34 pm »
Thanks for your quick reply.

hostapd, performance tweaks: ramlog, ramtmp, ramlock, sharing USB ports over network, working install to NAND, one image for CT / Cubieboard 2, one SD card partition ...

I am successfully running the following services: Wifi AP with hostap, SSH, Pure FTP, Samba, TV headend, Transmission, BitTorrent Sync, SoftEther VPN server, CUPS, scan with scanner buttons + OCR, Postfix, Dovecot, Apache2, PHP, Mysql + phpMyAdmin, ISPConfig 3

That means, that on that image offered here all these packages are installed by default? I would like to use a Debian-based Linux on the Cubietruck with packages like "samba4", "zarafa", "postfix", "mysql", "php5-fpm", "nginx", "owncloud", and so on... what would you sugest me to do? Install Cubian and fit it to my needs? Or take YOUR image and fit it to my needs?

The next question is: could you please give me more information what exactly you mean by
amlog, ramtmp, ramlock, sharing USB ports over network, working install to NAND, one image for CT / Cubieboard 2, one SD card partition ...
? what did you change, where can I find detailled information about that modifications?

And please tell me: will I be able to install Cubian on the 8GB NAND Flash on Cubietruck and boot from there?

Aotearoa

« Reply #282 on: March 12, 2014, 01:18:04 am »
That means, that on that image offered here all these packages are installed by default? I would like to use a Debian-based Linux on the Cubietruck with packages like "samba4", "zarafa", "postfix", "mysql", "php5-fpm", "nginx", "owncloud", and so on... what would you sugest me to do? Install Cubian and fit it to my needs? Or take YOUR image and fit it to my needs?

No, very few applications are installed by default. 
dpkg --get-selections|awk '$1!~/^lib/ { printf( "%s, ", $1);}' lists these applications:
adduser, apt, apt-utils, aptitude, aptitude-common, base-files, base-passwd, bash, bash-completion, bridge-utils, bsdmainutils, bsdutils, ca-certificates, console-data, console-setup, console-setup-linux, coreutils, cpio, cpufrequtils, cron, dash, debconf, debconf-i18n, debian-archive-keyring, debianutils, diffutils, dmsetup, dosfstools, dpkg, e2fslibs:armhf, e2fsprogs, figlet, findutils, fuse, gcc-4.7-base:armhf, git, git-man, gnupg, gpgv, grep, groff-base, gzip, hdparm, hostapd, hostname, htop, ifupdown, info, initscripts, insserv, install-info, iproute, iptables, iputils-ping, isc-dhcp-client, isc-dhcp-common, kbd, keyboard-configuration, kmod, locales, login, logrotate, lsb-base, lsof, man-db, manpages, mawk, module-init-tools, mount, multiarch-support, nano, ncurses-base, ncurses-bin, net-tools, netbase, netcat-traditional, ntfs-3g, ntp, ntpdate, openssh-client, openssh-server, openssl, parted, passwd, pciutils, perl, perl-base, perl-modules, procps, ramlog, readline-common, rsync, rsyslog, screen, sed, sensible-utils, sudo, sysv-rc, sysvinit, sysvinit-utils, tar, tasksel, tasksel-data, toilet, toilet-fonts, traceroute, tzdata, u-boot-tools, uboot-envtools, udev, unzip, usbutils, util-linux, vim-common, vim-tiny, wget, whiptail, wireless-tools, wpasupplicant, xkb-data, xz-utils, zlib1g:armhf, root

It is set up to use the standard Debian repositories to add additional packages. As it's my preferred tool for headless servers, I've also added the repository for webmin.  Everything behaved as expected.

Quote from: Sloop
And please tell me: will I be able to install Cubian on the 8GB NAND Flash on Cubietruck and boot from there?

According to the documentation you can. You need to copy it to a micro SD card first, boot that, and then run the nand-install.sh script in the home directory for root (/root). I've not used this myself, but reading through it it looks OK and the equivalent script in the same directory for installing on a SATA drive worked fine for me. Please note that it isn't flagged as executable as shipped, you need to either chmod or intern it to get it to run.

Hope that helps

Bruce

(Edited: Clarified that you need to boot the micro SD)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:27:33 am by Aotearoa »

Offline slovenia

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 12, 2014, 03:18:20 am »
? what did you change, where can I find detailled information about that modifications?

You might look through the process in the image build script to see what and how is changed.

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/Cubietruck-Debian/blob/master/build.sh

It's documented as is - for experts I guess. There is no documentation for package ramlog but basically what it does is copy & switch logs to RAM at boot time and saves them to HDD on shut-down.

All those tweaks just helps getting more juice out.

Offline Sloop

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 12, 2014, 06:34:23 pm »
The build script (link, you posted), is that the installation procedure for this image offered here on that topic? Or is it the installation script of official Cubian? Thanks for your kind reply. If you don't matter, could you -please- explain to me how one should choose between official "Cubian" which is offered through cubian.org and your image posted on this thread? what will be different, better, similar ? How should a user decide if one or other will fit to its needs?

thank you so much