October 17, 2019, 11:23:02 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/


Buster, Xenial and Bionic - updated 6.7.2019

Started by slovenia, December 24, 2013, 03:23:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

slovenia

Quote from: ziaro on March 01, 2014, 07:55:55 pm
Hello,

My question is: how I can upgrade, on safe way, my CT installation from 1.6 to 1.7?
I made some changes to standard installation (moved rootfs to sata drive, installed postgresql, nginx, wordpress, mediawiki, etc.) so I'm not sure, how I can do this task without reinstalling all modificated configuration files and packages.

I read whole thread, but didn't found answer.

Thanks in advance


Hello!

The functional/important part can be upgraded with:

a) download and install:

dpkg -i ramlog.deb

then reconfigure:

nano /etc/default/ramlog change TMPFS_RAMFS_SIZE=256m

then

nano /etc/init.d/rsyslog

and change this at the beginning of the file
# Required-Start:    $remote_fs $time ramlog
# Required-Stop:     umountnfs $time ramlog

b) change those parameters:

nano /etc/default/tmpfs

RAMTMP=yes
RUN_SIZE=128M
SHM_SIZE=128M
TMP_SIZE=1G

c) reboot

Answer to your question actually lies in build script and it's history. If you want to check/apply other, less important parts of upgrade, check:
https://github.com/igorpecovnik/Cubietruck-Debian/blob/master/build.sh

I made one .bashrc login script (not included into release and you might need to install some additional packages):
https://raw.github.com/igorpecovnik/Cubietruck-Debian/master/scripts/bashrc
Debian and Ubuntu images with kernel 3.4.110, 4.3.3, 4.4
http://www.armbian.com

Madozu

Quote from: slovenia on March 01, 2014, 12:29:28 pm
Logging and /tmp is the main part, rest is more or less cosmetic - adjusting/lowering memory reserved for /run  /run/shm /run/lock ... You can gain some additional performance with disabling journal. (If you transfer rootfs to NAND my script does that by default). Probably this is all (useful) what can be done in this area  :-[


Thanks for the response and tips :) Up to now, I did not dare turning off journaling, just remounting /dev/root with "noatime,nodiratime,commit=300" to reduce the writes to the NAND.

NAND performance is really somewhat behind SDCard performance and I was wondering whether you found any options / kernel patches to speed that up a bit. I was looking for that, but was unable to find something useful. Also the 3.4.79 kernel from dl.cubieboard.org did not give more NAND read performance than 14.5 MByte/s.

ziaro

Hello slovenia,

thank you for fast answering on my question.

Quote from: slovenia on March 02, 2014, 05:33:10 am
The functional/important part can be upgraded with:

a) download and install:

dpkg -i ramlog.deb

then reconfigure:

nano /etc/default/ramlog change TMPFS_RAMFS_SIZE=256m

then

nano /etc/init.d/rsyslog

and change this at the beginning of the file
# Required-Start:    $remote_fs $time ramlog
# Required-Stop:     umountnfs $time ramlog

b) change those parameters:

nano /etc/default/tmpfs

RAMTMP=yes
RUN_SIZE=128M
SHM_SIZE=128M
TMP_SIZE=1G

c) reboot


I'm not sure, but probably 2 weeks ago I did already something similar: reducing sata write activities thru moving system and applications logging activities into tempfs.
I used folowing solution:  A transient /var/log
Now I have to check, which solution better match my needs.
   
Quote from: slovenia on March 02, 2014, 05:33:10 am
Answer to your question actually lies in build script and it's history. If you want to check/apply other, less important parts of upgrade, check:
https://github.com/igorpecovnik/Cubietruck-Debian/blob/master/build.sh

Looks like this is the way, which I should go every time :)

Quote from: slovenia on March 02, 2014, 05:33:10 am
I made one .bashrc login script (not included into release and you might need to install some additional packages):
https://raw.github.com/igorpecovnik/Cubietruck-Debian/master/scripts/bashrc


My login script is a little more colourized then yours ;) and based on this idea.
From your .bashrc script was for me interesting the detecting method of board temperature :)

Thebigwave

Hello together,
first of all Sorry for my English I'm not a Native Speaker.
I have a upgrade Question. At the moment I run V1.5. with Samba and FTP Services.
Is there a Safe Way to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.7 without restoring my system configuration?

Thanks for your help
TheBigWave

Count Zero

Hi all

I recently received my Cubietruck, and after some handwork to fit it on the ewel case I booted it from the Debian SD image which worked perfectly and I've been able to check for the hardware support and so on.

I had some issues when I tried to install it on NAND using the nand-install script found on /root on the Image. Something went wrong during the process (I think it had some problems reading the SD when making the rsync for rootfs) and NAND install failed. When tried to run it again found that the script itself removed some necessary files for the installation like the debian-boot.tar.gz image. (IMHO this shouldn't be done)

Well, that's not the problem. I burned again the SD image and modified the nand-install script to:
- don't redirect output to /dev/null (I like to see anything going on)
- don't remove any needed files (like the debian-root.tar.gz file)

After running it again and also running the comands by myself (nand-part, formating the filesystems, copying files, ...) The 'nand-install' process run correctly without any issues or problems, but when I removed the SD card and tried to boot from NAND the cubie stucks on boot and only shows a small green square on the left edge of a red-frame.

If insert the SD card I can boot from SD without issues.

What does this mean? Has the CT loaded u-boot? is stuck on u-boot, or loading kernel or....? is due some NAND partiationning not made correctly?

I know I can try to flash a new image on NAND using LiveSuit and try again, but I would like to fix it with 'standard' Linux tools if possible.

Thanks all.

slovenia

Quote from: Count Zero on March 03, 2014, 11:23:18 am
Hi all

I recently received my Cubietruck, and after some handwork to fit it on the ewel case I booted it from the Debian SD image which worked perfectly and I've been able to check for the hardware support and so on.

I had some issues when I tried to install it on NAND using the nand-install script found on /root on the Image. Something went wrong during the process (I think it had some problems reading the SD when making the rsync for rootfs) and NAND install failed. When tried to run it again found that the script itself removed some necessary files for the installation like the debian-boot.tar.gz image. (IMHO this shouldn't be done)

Well, that's not the problem. I burned again the SD image and modified the nand-install script to:
- don't redirect output to /dev/null (I like to see anything going on)
- don't remove any needed files (like the debian-root.tar.gz file)

After running it again and also running the comands by myself (nand-part, formating the filesystems, copying files, ...) The 'nand-install' process run correctly without any issues or problems, but when I removed the SD card and tried to boot from NAND the cubie stucks on boot and only shows a small green square on the left edge of a red-frame.

If insert the SD card I can boot from SD without issues.

What does this mean? Has the CT loaded u-boot? is stuck on u-boot, or loading kernel or....? is due some NAND partiationning not made correctly?

I know I can try to flash a new image on NAND using LiveSuit and try again, but I would like to fix it with 'standard' Linux tools if possible.

Thanks all.


I know. :-X The install scripts are very basic and are not able to deal with error if occur. I haven't find the will / time to polish them :-[

Quotebut when I removed the SD card and tried to boot from NAND the cubie stucks on boot and only shows a small green square on the left edge of a red-frame.


Without output from serial console is hard to tell what the problem is.

I also wanted to solve the NAND install part clearly but got stuck. Since there is no clean solution I search and found a workaround. I read on this forum that you can't access certain parts of NAND from Linux ...

I think that there is no better solution, in this case, yet.
Debian and Ubuntu images with kernel 3.4.110, 4.3.3, 4.4
http://www.armbian.com

slovenia

Quote from: Thebigwave on March 03, 2014, 11:06:49 am
Hello together,
first of all Sorry for my English I'm not a Native Speaker.
I have a upgrade Question. At the moment I run V1.5. with Samba and FTP Services.
Is there a Safe Way to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.7 without restoring my system configuration?

Thanks for your help
TheBigWave


There is no option of automatic image update. :-[ New feature from 1.5 to 1.7 is using RAM for logging / tmp, ... other important changes are related to Cubieboard 2.

... it is safe for you to follow this manual and you will have functional 1.7.
Debian and Ubuntu images with kernel 3.4.110, 4.3.3, 4.4
http://www.armbian.com

MrDialUp

Igor, I have loaded 1.7 and transferred it so SATA and I have also followed the load up with installing your Debian home server script (https://github.com/igorpecovnik/Debian-micro-home-server).  I have actually done this 6 times now and it always results in a problem.  The Debian load is working fine, however, for some reason apache2 is failing to load at all when the home server script is completed.  This means that the ISPConfig3 web page is not accessible.  TV works, VPN server works and so do all the other things but for some reason apache2 fails to restart after a certain part of the script.  I have tried researching the issue but nothing I could find and attempted resolved it.  Is there a chance that something has changed within the multitude of programs that load as part of this script?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, you might want to look at including tightvncserver and lynx as part of the main Debian load or the home server script.  Both work well with the combo.

Edit:  I just read elsewhere that the intention of your images and scripts was to support CLI use only.    My bad  :-[ The issue I site above is with a GNOME GUI implementation on top of all the other server programs.  As a GUI front end was really not your intended use, I would think that the issues are due to my use of the GUI and not related to what you have put together.

slovenia

Quote from: MrDialUp on March 04, 2014, 02:16:48 pm
Igor, I have loaded 1.7 and transferred it so SATA and I have also followed the load up with installing your Debian home server script (https://github.com/igorpecovnik/Debian-micro-home-server).  I have actually done this 6 times now and it always results in a problem.  The Debian load is working fine, however, for some reason apache2 is failing to load at all when the home server script is completed.  This means that the ISPConfig3 web page is not accessible.  TV works, VPN server works and so do all the other things but for some reason apache2 fails to restart after a certain part of the script.  I have tried researching the issue but nothing I could find and attempted resolved it.  Is there a chance that something has changed within the multitude of programs that load as part of this script?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, you might want to look at including tightvncserver and lynx as part of the main Debian load or the home server script.  Both work well with the combo.

Edit:  I just read elsewhere that the intention of your images and scripts was to support CLI use only.    My bad  :-[ The issue I site above is with a GNOME GUI implementation on top of all the other server programs.  As a GUI front end was really not your intended use, I would think that the issues are due to my use of the GUI and not related to what you have put together.


GUI is working with this image - check this post. I am afraid that Cubietruck is not powerful enough for Gnome but you can try for yourself. Currently there is also a poor (video) acceleration support and you won't be able to find a distribution that this works as expected.

Debian home server script

It was working not long time age - I will test install and report. One thing that came up on my mind is - did you set static IP? This might screw up with Apache.
Debian and Ubuntu images with kernel 3.4.110, 4.3.3, 4.4
http://www.armbian.com

VonGriffin


slovenia

Quote from: VonGriffin on March 05, 2014, 10:28:08 am
yeah apache2 fails to restart with this script


Yes.  :-[ There is a problem with ramlog + isp/apache logs.  :-\ Will work if you disable it and do the install again (or manual recreate missing logs):

service ramlog disable
reboot # to be safe


Working on permanent solution. Saving Apache logs to RAM is mandatory  :P

p.s.
I fixed some other bugs in the script on the way.
Debian and Ubuntu images with kernel 3.4.110, 4.3.3, 4.4
http://www.armbian.com

MrDialUp

OK, I went ahead and did another reload, this time I installed the xfce gui desktop as outlined in your blog page.  And now everything is working except apache2.  Like you said, GNOME is too much for the CT to handle.   With xfce, all is good.

I've been able to load up the following with no issues: 

  1) GIMP
  2) Libreoffice
  3) Scribus
  4) Tightvncserver
  5) Gparted
  6) VLC
  7) Audacity
  8) Galculator
  9) File-roller
10) Pidgin
11) Linphone
12) Mplayer
13) Elinks
14) Lynx
15) Blueman (BT working with Belkin dongle)
16) xpdf
17) Printpdf
18) Font-manager
19) Xsane

All the above were available using sudo apt-get install or sudo aptitude install.  Not a bad mix if you ask me. :)

Edit:  After I posted this, I went and checked apache2 again.  Your command to shut down the log works, apache2 now is operational.

Count Zero

QuoteI attached a nand-bootloader. Boot with SD, copy this file to CT, unzip and:


Hi

this may help in my issue, but I tried to download it but is gives me an error saying that the attachment cannot be found. ¿Can you upload it again?

Also I try to include a previous backup on nand-install script

Thanks in advance


slovenia

Quote from: Count Zero on March 06, 2014, 08:09:44 am
QuoteI attached a nand-bootloader. Boot with SD, copy this file to CT, unzip and:


Hi

this may help in my issue, but I tried to download it but is gives me an error saying that the attachment cannot be found. ¿Can you upload it again?

Also I try to include a previous backup on nand-install script

Thanks in advance



The file is here:
https://github.com/igorpecovnik/Cubietruck-Debian/blob/master/bin/nand.mbr.img.tgz?raw=true

If this not work, do the workaround described in first post.
Debian and Ubuntu images with kernel 3.4.110, 4.3.3, 4.4
http://www.armbian.com

dani

Hi all,
I guess I must be doing a very obvious error but I can't seem to fix it. I have the image running from the sd. I log in by SSH as root. When in try to run nand-install.sh with:
"sudo ./nand-install.sh"

I get this error:
"sudo: unable to resolve host cubie
sudo: ./nand-install.sh: command not found"

I've tried without sudo and I get a "./nand-install.sh: Permission denied"

Thanks for your help!