Author Topic: Buster, Xenial and Bionic - updated 6.7.2019  (Read 732769 times)

Offline slovenia

• View Profile
Re: BOOT from USB
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2014, 02:55:12 pm »
Well compile didn't go really straight so maybe I need to test if everything still works :)
I had to change manually some settings on .config file and wireless it's not working anymore.
Well I don't really need it atm but compile failed because source do not include bmchd firmware.
I guess this has to be downloaded separately.  This can be easily fixed.

Obviously uImage is not enough, I had to copy also all new modules otherwise kernel complain and refuse to load modules created whith your uImage version.

Shoudn't be hard for you to add such feature maybe on a separate image or through a script like the one with nand.

All you need to do is to change this on .config and compile.

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y

That's it ;-)

OK, I see. That should not be a problem then. Added to build script, will be in next image.

Wireless firmware troubles are solved within the build script and yes you need kernel + modules for that kernel.

Tnx.
Debian and Ubuntu images with kernel 3.4.110, 4.3.3, 4.4
http://www.armbian.com

Offline Brakelmann

• View Profile
Re: Wheezy server SD / NAND / Hotspot - update 22.1.2014
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2014, 06:11:07 pm »

One dirty trick could be to install ubuntu server image for NAND with Phoenix suite and if that boots run install again and hope that this will work...

Hi Slovenia,

could you please point me to the rihgt direction where to find this "Ubuntu Image" with the Phoenix Suite.

Thanks, Brakelmann.

Offline rose28357

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2014, 07:08:09 pm »
could you please point me to the rihgt direction where to find this "Ubuntu Image" with the Phoenix Suite.
look here und try Lubunut Desktop V1.01 oder Lubuntu Server V1.00 for
nand.

Offline agarbato

• View Profile
Re: BOOT from USB
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2014, 03:48:38 am »
Well compile didn't go really straight so maybe I need to test if everything still works :)
I had to change manually some settings on .config file and wireless it's not working anymore.
Well I don't really need it atm but compile failed because source do not include bmchd firmware.
I guess this has to be downloaded separately.  This can be easily fixed.

Obviously uImage is not enough, I had to copy also all new modules otherwise kernel complain and refuse to load modules created whith your uImage version.

Shoudn't be hard for you to add such feature maybe on a separate image or through a script like the one with nand.

All you need to do is to change this on .config and compile.

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y

That's it ;-)

OK, I see. That should not be a problem then. Added to build script, will be in next image.

Wireless firmware troubles are solved within the build script and yes you need kernel + modules for that kernel.

Tnx.

I see you've changed the option on kernel config.

Build script is amazing.  I spent a whole night to find out what I needed to cross compile and your build script did all itself.  I've cleaned up things and I can confirm that with the new generated image all is working fine.

Super karma 4 you.
Thanks again for sharing your job :)

Still I've a unsolved question. I've never been able to enable jumbo frames which I think could improve network performance a little bit.  I can't set mtu greater than 330X.  I tried to look around if this is due to a setting that I need to add on script.bin or a module parameter but no luck.  Any suggestion for this? Any area of improvement for network performance? What you think? Is this a driver or hardware limitation?

Ciao.

Offline slovenia

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2014, 04:50:11 am »
Build script is amazing.  I spent a whole night to find out what I needed to cross compile and your build script did all itself.  I've cleaned up things and I can confirm that with the new generated image all is working fine.

Thank you.  :P I am glad that you find it useful. It helps saving time and energy to deal with more advanced troubles.

Still I've a unsolved question. I've never been able to enable jumbo frames which I think could improve network performance a little bit.  I can't set mtu greater than 330X.  I tried to look around if this is due to a setting that I need to add on script.bin or a module parameter but no luck.  Any suggestion for this? Any area of improvement for network performance? What you think? Is this a driver or hardware limitation?

I was playing with this issue a little but didn't resolve it ... yet. There is one older kernel & script on this board where jumbo frames (MTU 9000) are working so we should look into that and find what makes the difference.

Ethernet performance. There are SoCs (but probably designed for routers and NAS usage) which can utilize gigabit traffic at around 100% speed so I think there could be an issue on the firmware side. I don't have enough experience to be sure about this.

Offline david88

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2014, 04:54:24 am »
Hi,

I am very new to Linux, therefore I am not sure if the question really belongs here or if it is not related to this image, but maybe someone can help me or point me in the right direction.

I have installed this image (which I quite like) on Cubietruck and also a few other things. I have a massive problem though with videos. I managed to install mplayer with VDPAU/Cedar support and videos play very well. The big problem is though that every time I pause a video, the whole system crashes (prints out a lot of kernel messages with a lot of numbers, then stops responding).

It seems to be a problem with ALSA, as this does not happen when I select "-ao null". ALSA itself is linked to the Cubietruck SPDIF output and works as well (meaning I get sound to my receiver without problems as long as I not try to pause it).

I tried the mplayer wheezy package, compiled newest nightly, tried mplayer2 - all have the same problem.

I found some mentioning that this bug seems to be fixed in mpv, but I have not been able to compile it as it is not available for wheezy and the compilation needs gcc 4.8 which is also not available for wheezy. I even tried compiling gcc 4.8 myself but this also did not work.

In summary I just want a video player with cedar support which allows me to pause the video, but I just cant seem to find one which does not crash the system. I worked for several days on this issue but am getting nowhere. This is just so frustrating.

Therefore I would be really happy if anyone can help me.

Offline slovenia

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2014, 06:24:52 am »
Any other idea?

One odd question. At the time of nand-install ... did you have a working internet connection at the cubietruck? If you didn't than there is a problem. Script needs to download a package necessary to format vfat and you won't see an error if download is unsuccessful  ... i know :-[ will be fixed someday :)

Anyway. You can check this by mounting both NAND partition from SD system and see if both contains something - first (boot) one should be vfat (kernel, script bin) and second ext4 (root fs - everything else).

Offline slovenia

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2014, 06:52:56 am »
Hi,

I am very new to Linux, therefore I am not sure if the question really belongs here or if it is not related to this image, but maybe someone can help me or point me in the right direction.

I have installed this image (which I quite like) on Cubietruck and also a few other things. I have a massive problem though with videos. I managed to install mplayer with VDPAU/Cedar support and videos play very well. The big problem is though that every time I pause a video, the whole system crashes (prints out a lot of kernel messages with a lot of numbers, then stops responding).

It seems to be a problem with ALSA, as this does not happen when I select "-ao null". ALSA itself is linked to the Cubietruck SPDIF output and works as well (meaning I get sound to my receiver without problems as long as I not try to pause it).

I tried the mplayer wheezy package, compiled newest nightly, tried mplayer2 - all have the same problem.

I found some mentioning that this bug seems to be fixed in mpv, but I have not been able to compile it as it is not available for wheezy and the compilation needs gcc 4.8 which is also not available for wheezy. I even tried compiling gcc 4.8 myself but this also did not work.

In summary I just want a video player with cedar support which allows me to pause the video, but I just cant seem to find one which does not crash the system. I worked for several days on this issue but am getting nowhere. This is just so frustrating.

Therefore I would be really happy if anyone can help me.

I don't know much about this issue - I only read / on this forum / that there are (major?) troubles regarding playing (HD) video and there are no good and stable images/distributions of video / mplayer - XBMC yet. Cedar is being developed but I really don't know how far things are. You might hit the edge of current functionality.

Even more basic drivers like eth and wifi / BT need to be fixed. Eth is working stable but not at full speed, Wifi is operational but Bluetooth work only with a help from supernatural forces  ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:54:37 am by slovenia »

Offline agarbato

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2014, 04:38:41 pm »
Thank you.  :P I am glad that you find it useful. It helps saving time and energy to deal with more advanced troubles.

After a couple of days with the new image built with USB-STORAGE to Y I find out that sometimes sata and usb tend to swap their names with sda/sdb.   99% of the times USB is sda and SATA sdb ( I tought it would have been the opposite but it's not) but sometimes they just change without a reason as the boot sequence is alway the same and both drives are always connected. 

This can be a problem for who decide to move  root to SATA and have a usb stick or drive connected. 
According to what I've read here is not possible to specify UUID or LABEL on uEnv.txt.
Giving that I can't find any valid workaround for this.

Not a big deal for me as my cubie is always on but as this can cause problems to someone else I'm here to bring you attention to this :-)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 04:40:13 pm by agarbato »

Offline david88

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2014, 06:33:30 am »
Hi,

<snip>

I don't know much about this issue - I only read / on this forum / that there are (major?) troubles regarding playing (HD) video and there are no good and stable images/distributions of video / mplayer - XBMC yet. Cedar is being developed but I really don't know how far things are. You might hit the edge of current functionality.

Even more basic drivers like eth and wifi / BT need to be fixed. Eth is working stable but not at full speed, Wifi is operational but Bluetooth work only with a help from supernatural forces  ;D

Thanks for your reply. I actually managed to get mpv compiled in the meantime (using clang instead of gcc), but after I run the installed file it just quits with "segment fault", lol.

I understand there is still the need for a lot of development - I was actually surprised how well mplayer already played my 720p files (well, except the audio bug of course).

Guess I just have to step back and wait for a few weeks or months...

Offline Brakelmann

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2014, 04:28:32 pm »
Any other idea?

One odd question. At the time of nand-install ... did you have a working internet connection at the cubietruck? If you didn't than there is a problem. Script needs to download a package necessary to format vfat and you won't see an error if download is unsuccessful  ... i know :-[ will be fixed someday :)

Anyway. You can check this by mounting both NAND partition from SD system and see if both contains something - first (boot) one should be vfat (kernel, script bin) and second ext4 (root fs - everything else).

Hi,

yes I had a working inet connection at the time of nand install.
Im managed to install Lubuntu to fix the boot issue.
After that I once again used your modified script which worked out fine.

I guess it would be a good idea to provide scripts for both CubieTruck revisions for the nand install

Thanks, Brakelmann.

Offline Brakelmann

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2014, 04:36:10 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to use a fixed IP adress instead of DHCP.
Tried to edit the /etc/network/interfaces as follows...
Code: [Select]
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.3
hwaddress ether 00:01:43:5e:cb:55 # will be added at first boot

Which is not working out.
If I run "ifdown eth0" and "ifup eth0" after changing the interfaces file there is no entry for eth0 at all if I call "ifconfig".

Any idea how to use static IP Adress?

Thanks, Brakelmann.

Offline agarbato

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2014, 05:43:05 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to use a fixed IP adress instead of DHCP.
Tried to edit the /etc/network/interfaces as follows...
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.3

Which is not working out.
If I run "ifdown eth0" and "ifup eth0" after changing the interfaces file there is no entry for eth0 at all if I call "ifconfig".

Any idea how to use static IP Adress?

Thanks, Brakelmann.

Hi..

You're missing the most important parameter here.

add

auto eth0

place it on top of eth0 definition..

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static

and restart network service

"service networking restart" or reboot to make sure it will work next time you reboot.

Offline rose28357

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2014, 05:44:02 pm »
You didnt activate eth0. Interfaces should look like this...

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.3
My interfaces also included a setup for
brooadcast 192.168.1.255
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:46:30 pm by rose28357 »

Offline Brakelmann

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2014, 04:17:41 am »
Hi guys,

thanks for your quick response.
Yes indeed I missed "auto eth0" but I tried that before.
So I added "auto eth0" so that my interfaces looks like this...
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.3

If I use ifup eth0 this command brings up the following error message:
ifup eth0
RTNETLINK answers: No such process
Failed to bring up eth0

If I change "static" to "dhcp" it runs without any problem. And eth0 gets a dynamic IP address from the DHCP Server and has got the static IP 192.168.1.10
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
address 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.3

Any ohter idea how to fix this?

Thanks, Brakelmann.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:27:54 am by Brakelmann »