News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Buster, Xenial and Bionic - updated 6.7.2019

Started by slovenia, December 24, 2013, 03:23:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Teetertank

Thanks for your response.
Quote from: slovenia on January 27, 2014, 12:15:09 am
- Do your router provide DHCP? If you don't, you have to manually edit /etc/network/interfaces and set fixed IP

Yes, DHCP enabled in router

- Was there one automatic reboot at first run? It's necessary.

The power light never went out, I didn't notice if it rebooted. It did offer log in then ran some more text down the screen. Then offered login again.

I did notice a "failed" in red text against a line saying cubian-firstrun "failed!" (with the failed in red)

- Let's check if you got Ethernet module running: Log in and type:

dmesg | grep sunxi_gmac
It should be:
[   19.053922] sunxi_gmac: probed
[   19.068222] eth0: PHY ID 001cc915 at 0 IRQ 0 (sunxi_gmac-0:00) active
[   19.085150] eth0: PHY ID 001cc915 at 1 IRQ 0 (sunxi_gmac-0:01)
[   21.092236] PHY: sunxi_gmac-0:00 - Link is Up - 100/Full

I get no response from typing "dmesg | grep sunxi_gmac". if I type "dmesg" it runs a load of text.

Check if your Ethernet is up and got IP from router, type: ifconfig

eth0   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr ae:50:30:27:5a:cf 
          inet addr:172.16.100.96  Bcast:172.16.100.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::7c58:cfff:fe6b:43e1/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:4637827 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:7230795 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:585593341 (558.4 MiB)  TX bytes:9097408467 (8.4 GiB)

Here, the response I see includes:
Link: local loopback
inetaddress 127.0.0.1
inetaddress :  ::/ /128 Scope:host
All the TX and RX figures are 0

What is in the file, type:
more /etc/network/interfaces

I get a response along the lines of what you wrote, though I can't see the left hand side of the screen as teh boarders/resolutioin must be a bit out.
I hope you installed image from the first post since I added one testing - few posts back - which is was done just for Cubieboard2 and I don't know if it works.

Yes, installed from first post version 1.5. I see your Cubietruck graphic come up and see reference to the version 1.5 in the text on screen.

We'll find the problem  :)
I hope so. Thanks for your help so far.

slovenia

QuoteThe power light never went out, I didn't notice if it rebooted. It did offer log in then ran some more text down the screen. Then offered login again.

I did notice a "failed" in red text against a line saying cubian-firstrun "failed!" (with the failed in red)

One red failed at first run is normal ... nothing to worry and just a moment after that system should auto restart, red light (power led) is always on, others are shut down after system comes up.

QuoteI get no response from typing "dmesg | grep sunxi_gmac". if I type "dmesg" it runs a load of text.

This bothers me. Dmesg shows kernel messages and there is no response from Ethernet. All Cubietrucks should have the same network interface and the module is build into kernel. Strange ... try edit /etc/modules and add sunxi_gmac . Reboot.

QuoteI get a response along the lines of what you wrote, though I can't see the left hand side of the screen as teh boarders/resolutioin must be a bit out.

Change resolution to something else with, edit:
nano /boot/uEnv.txt and change EDID:1280x720p50 to 1024x768p50 or 1024x768p60 or 1920x1080p60 / try what will be ok
Debian and Ubuntu images with kernel 3.4.110, 4.3.3, 4.4
http://www.armbian.com

Teetertank

Quote from: slovenia on January 27, 2014, 05:39:12 pm
This bothers me. Dmesg shows kernel messages and there is no response from Ethernet. All Cubietrucks should have the same network interface and the module is build into kernel. Strange ... try edit /etc/modules and add sunxi_gmac . Reboot.

I tried typing "/etc/modules" and get 'permission denied' do I need to log in as a different user?

Quote from: slovenia on January 27, 2014, 05:39:12 pm
Change resolution to something else with, edit:
nano /boot/uEnv.txt and change EDID:1280x720p50 to 1024x768p50 or 1024x768p60 or 1920x1080p60 / try what will be ok

nano /boot/uEnv.txt brought up what looked like an editing screen. I moved the curser and overwrote the resolution to what should be correct but am unsure how to save the change. The help files I think are just off the bottom of the screen so bit of a catch 22.

Sorry for beeing such a noob...

patwood

First, try this:

modprobe sunxi_gmac
dmesg | grep Mac
ifconfig

and report back.  If this creates a reasonable looking Ethernet device, then you need to add the line

sunxi_gmac

to the file /etc/modules.  Use a text editor.

Teetertank

Thanks Pat.

This looks more hopeful now. I see an UPBROADCAST RUNNING...

And now Cubie appears in attached devices for router :-)

Many thanks for suggestion. Haven't used a text editor before, I just looked them up and Vim is recommended. Is this something I need to run on a PC or is it operable from command line to add the sunxi_gmac line?

patwood

Vim is an advanced editor. You might want to look into gedit instead.  It works well with a GUI.

slovenia

Quote from: Teetertank on January 27, 2014, 08:12:04 pm
Thanks Pat.

This looks more hopeful now. I see an UPBROADCAST RUNNING...

And now Cubie appears in attached devices for router :-)

Many thanks for suggestion. Haven't used a text editor before, I just looked them up and Vim is recommended. Is this something I need to run on a PC or is it operable from command line to add the sunxi_gmac line?

Text editor is necessary to fix things. There is no other way  :-[

Which one is a matter of personal choice since there is no big differences between them - for basic work.

I prefer nano and it's already installed. Since you also have screen troubles is also hard to get into help:

nano /etc/modules
when you are done with editing:
CTRL +x             y              ENTER

It means "Close file". Then you are asked "Save changes". Your response should be "y" if you want to write changes, else "n" + ENTER

Other might usefull commands

Thanks Pat.

arrhenius

Quote from: rose28357 on January 28, 2014, 06:42:55 am
Shoudn't he use sudo nano /etc/modules ?

Not needed if you are root, yes if you are not.

In addition, i must say SUDO was not even installed in this distro by default until version 1.5  (i know this because my post-install script included apt-get install sudo )

newmoses

Thx for that Image, better than the originals.

All things i would do, the software do, but one thing makes me crazy.

The driver for my "Dexatek Technology Ltd. DK DVB-T Dongle" dont run, because there where no drivers. i looked all the f.. sites to fix that problem, but no chance to do it. the dongle was before at my raspberry pi and runs together with tvheadend without any drivers to install.

what ist going wrong?

hope someone can help me to fix that. with that image on cubietruck i have a verygood server with low engery at home, and energy in germany ist expensive ;D

best greetz to you (sry for my english)

arrhenius

Quote from: newmoses on January 28, 2014, 07:45:12 am
Thx for that Image, better than the originals.

All things i would do, the software do, but one thing makes me crazy.

The driver for my "Dexatek Technology Ltd. DK DVB-T Dongle" dont run, because there where no drivers. i looked all the f.. sites to fix that problem, but no chance to do it. the dongle was before at my raspberry pi and runs together with tvheadend without any drivers to install.

what ist going wrong?

hope someone can help me to fix that. with that image on cubietruck i have a verygood server with low engery at home, and energy in germany ist expensive ;D

best greetz to you (sry for my english)

the first thing you need to know is what drivers works for this hardware, once you know with, you can load the proper module to make it work, its possible that the module is not available in this kernel, if so, i think you can rebuild the kernel adding that driver, but that is far beyond my knowledge rigth now.

googling a little it looks like the proper driver is called AF9013

try this command as root

modprobe af9013

this command loads the module, i tried in my cubietruck running Cubieez (uses the same kernel branch so it should work in slovenia distro too)

if it works, the command:

lsmod

should show you af9013 loaded

then try to attach the dongle.

I am very linux noob so i am not really sure if it will work, but im sure slonevia can help you

rbk

Thanks Slovenia for your work!

I am a complete newbie and would need bit of assistance in bringing up my new cubietruck. Earlier I had a R Pi and I was able to run samba/ minildlna/ trasmission on that. Now with the new CT, I downloaded your HDMI image to the SD card. It did boot up, but the issue is am not getting display over HDMI. I have connected the HDMI to my TV which is a HD resolution (1080 x 720). However I could connect via SSH and login successfully and moved to NAND.

Tried to install xRDP, and session connects but fails to display after entering username & password. And, x11vnc will not install properly, it fails to start. Could someone guide me in getting display/ RDP. I suppose it will be same as in R Pi setting samba/ minidlna/ transmission.

slovenia

Quote from: rbk on January 29, 2014, 01:46:44 am
It did boot up, but the issue is am not getting display over HDMI. I have connected the HDMI to my TV which is a HD resolution (1080 x 720). However I could connect via SSH and login successfully and moved to NAND.

HDMI output is tested and it's working. You can try to power on TV with CT already powered and vice versa and/or by editing a file /boot/uEnv.txt and change resolution there.

Quote from: rbk on January 29, 2014, 01:46:44 am
Tried to install xRDP, and session connects but fails to display after entering username & password. And, x11vnc will not install properly, it fails to start. Could someone guide me in getting display/ RDP. I suppose it will be same as in R Pi setting samba/ minidlna/ transmission.

It should be exactly the same as on RPi running Debian 7.x Wheezy but it can be little different if you were on some other linux.

Why do you need graphical interface and unnecessary troubles :) for running samba/ mini dlna/ transmission?

slovenia

Quote from: ellnic on January 19, 2014, 10:28:20 am
Quote from: slovenia on January 19, 2014, 08:01:13 am
Nice to hear some good setup stories! It might open us new ideas for using CT. :D

I am also working on a post setup and testing access point mode(working well so far) and struggling to get my scanner buttons working - http://sourceforge.net/projects/scanbd No luck with that :'(

That looks really interesting :D I got given a Kodak ESP 1.2 AIO recently, but without PSU - When I get one ordered I can test for you if you like :D Providing there are Kodak drivers for Linux.. this looks like it will do the trick: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cupsdriverkodak/

I got scanner buttons working with some other application (scanbuttond) but (for my scanner) I have to use patched one:
http://wp.psyx.us/?p=500

Working perfect. I even run OCR over scanned documents even this takes enormous amount of calculating power of SoC/time  ;D (10+ min / page)

Brakelmann

Hi,

got my CT early this week and installed this image to SD Card which worked perfectly without any issues.

Trying to move the system to nand causes me some headache.
First part of the script seems to work without issues:
Proceed (y/n)? (default: y): y
Partitioning

Press a key to reboot than run this script again!

After the reboot I execute the scrit once more getting the following error messages:

Proceed (y/n)? (default: y): y
Formatting and optimizing NAND rootfs ... up to 30 sec
/dev/nand1: No such file or directory
mke2fs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
Could not stat /dev/nand2 --- No such file or directory

The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?
tune2fs: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/nand2
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
tune2fs: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/nand2
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
e2fsck 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/nand2
Possibly non-existent device?
Creating NAND bootfs ... few seconds
mount: special device /dev/nand1 does not exist
rm: cannot remove `nand_mbr.backup': No such file or directory
umount: /mnt: not mounted
Creating NAND rootfs ... up to 5 min
mount: special device /dev/nand2 does not exist

The CT is not booting if eject the sd card.
Using the sd card booting an checking the partitions shows.
fdisk -l shows:
root@cubie:~# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/nand: 7700 MB, 7700742144 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 936 cylinders, total 15040512 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xffffffff

Disk /dev/nand doesn't contain a valid partition table

I tried this three or four times.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks in advance, Brakelman.