December 15, 2019, 09:28:13 pm

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Buster and Bionic - updated 21.11.2019

Started by slovenia, December 24, 2013, 03:23:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pollux

Same here, HDMI is not working. Maybe the VGA and HDMI links are mixed up, but I had no time to check this. BUT: putty is working, so remote access is no problem.
Regards,
pollux

slovenia

My mistake. Uploading corrected version ... they will be available in few minutes.
Debian and Ubuntu images with kernel 3.4.110, 4.3.3, 4.4
http://www.armbian.com

arrhenius

January 06, 2014, 04:39:20 pm #47 Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:42:13 pm by arrhenius
Hi i just tried the script, i built everything and happened the same, tv is black, but the system works ok, im conected via ssh.

Thanks a lot for your script, is awesome, im going to try some minor changes in the kernel, load some modules and things like that..

Im having issues with the locale (im from spain)

i have a lot of outputs like this :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setting up wpasupplicant (1.0-3+b1) ...
Setting up uboot-envtools (20081215-3+2012.04.01-2) ...
Setting up dmsetup (2:1.02.74-8) ...
Setting up libdevmapper1.02.1:armhf (2:1.02.74-8) ...
Setting up libparted0debian1:armhf (2.3-12) ...
Setting up parted (2.3-12) ...
Processing triggers for ca-certificates ...
Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs... 158 added, 0 removed; done.
Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d....done.
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = "es",
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "es_ES.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

Preconfiguring packages ...

-------------------------------------------------------------

i think it happens when the script is building the debian distro, im not sure if i have to change something in the script, or maybe i have to configure something in my linux kubuntu 13.10 , here i can type the spanish letter Ñ whitout problem..

anyway.

THANKS FOR YOUR WORK, IS GREAT  :D :D

slovenia

Quote from: arrhenius on January 06, 2014, 04:39:20 pm
Hi i just tried the script, i built everything and happened the same, tv is black, but the system works ok, im conected via ssh.

Thanks a lot for your script, is awesome, im going to try some minor changes in the kernel, load some modules and things like that..

The configuration at the beginning is maybe confusing (i will be corrected asap). You should choose either VGA or leave HDMI as default output. It should work properly. If you are able to ssh on it you can edit script.fex (fex2bin and bin2fex tools are included in last build) and change output.

Im having issues with the locale (im from spain)

i have a lot of outputs like this :

/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory

It's not a problem because locale is not there ... yet. But there were troubles with locale other way which are hopefully fixed. Are there any errors if you install something?

THANKS FOR YOUR WORK, IS GREAT  :D :D

8)

arrhenius

January 06, 2014, 06:40:01 pm #49 Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:45:01 pm by arrhenius
Quote from: slovenia on January 06, 2014, 04:56:22 pm

The configuration at the beginning is maybe confusing (i will be corrected asap). You should choose either VGA or leave HDMI as default output. It should work properly. If you are able to ssh on it you can edit script.fex (fex2bin and bin2fex tools are included in last build) and change output.

Hi, i have started from scratch, i downloaded your git and executed the build. i still see my tv black, the script is set to 3 (HDMI)

maybe i did something wrong, i dont know, but, im going to try to change the hdmi config now, but i have no clue what script.fex is about ?

i guess i have to do something like this:

cd /boot
bin2fex script.bin >file.txt
vi file.txt
---- change something to activate hdmi?=??
fextobin >script.bin
reboot

is that rigth?  what should i change?

anywhay i intend to use it as a server so the hdmi output is not neccesary but i would prefer to have the choice.. just in case

Thanks in advance.  :D

ok i get it,

[disp_init]
disp_init_enable = 1
disp_mode = 0
screen0_output_type = 4
screen0_output_mode = 4

My sd is set to use vga, but i got your build.sh set to 3.. extrange

slovenia

Nice to hear that you solved the problem - during my hibernation :)

Obviously the script (or theoretically possible "sed") on your system have issues with search & replace. It should work, but it does not :) Will be checked and fix after I got to the office.

arrhenius

Quote from: slovenia on January 07, 2014, 02:34:55 am
Nice to hear that you solved the problem - during my hibernation :)

Obviously the script (or theoretically possible "sed") on your system have issues with search & replace. It should work, but it does not :) Will be checked and fix after I got to the office.

ill check the sed command alone in my system and ill tell you (when i come back from work)

the problem should be in line 85

sed -e 's/output_type = [0-9]*/output_type = '$DISPLAY'/g' $DEST/cubie_configs/sysconfig/linux/cubietruck.fex > $DEST/cubie_configs/sysconfig/linux/cubietruck-vga.fex

this command should replace the display for the 2 fex files, rigth?

Im learning a lot with your script and with the cubieboards :D

changing the topic.. do you think it would be very hard to build a kernel for this toy?
http://dx.com/es/p/cozyswan-q7-quad-core-android-4-2-2-google-tv-player-w-2gb-ram-8gb-rom-hdmi-wi-fi-black-272538

its rk3188 Quad Core based, and incredibly cheap.. but im not sure i could get work on linux

slovenia

Quote from: arrhenius on January 07, 2014, 02:59:25 am
the problem should be in line 85

sed -e 's/output_type = [0-9]*/output_type = '$DISPLAY'/g' $DEST/cubie_configs/sysconfig/linux/cubietruck.fex > $DEST/cubie_configs/sysconfig/linux/cubietruck-vga.fex

this command should replace the display for the 2 fex files, rigth?

yes. It's fixed now.

Im learning a lot with your script and with the cubieboards :D

Good. That should be the purpose of the forum community. I also learn while doing this.

changing the topic.. do you think it would be very hard to build a kernel for this toy?
http://dx.com/es/p/cozyswan-q7-quad-core-android-4-2-2-google-tv-player-w-2gb-ram-8gb-rom-hdmi-wi-fi-black-272538
its rk3188 Quad Core based, and incredibly cheap.. but im not sure i could get work on linux

I have zero experience with this chipset. In theory it should work - all those sticks and similar devices uses linux / Android by default ... but better check on XDA forum if there are people playing / supporting it. Usually problems are when you want custum linux with proper video decoding, working sound, wireless, external devices, etc ...

I am sticking to Raspbery PI as a media player/xbmc center. It's fast enough (overclocked) for the job - up to 1080p mkvs and working w/o problems.

arrhenius

Quote from: slovenia on January 07, 2014, 03:54:05 am

yes. It's fixed now.

Quote from: slovenia on January 07, 2014, 03:54:05 am
I have zero experience with this chipset. In theory it should work - all those sticks and similar devices uses linux / Android by default ... but better check on XDA forum if there are people playing / supporting it. Usually problems are when you want custum linux with proper video decoding, working sound, wireless, external devices, etc ...

I am sticking to Raspbery PI as a media player/xbmc center. It's fast enough (overclocked) for the job - up to 1080p mkvs and working w/o problems.

i buyed a raspi a log time ago and 1080p didnt play smooth :(, maybe i should have overclocked.. or maybe the software for the has improved..

how can be that the cubietruck plays videos worst having a hardware so much better?  are the mali drivers going to get better ?    i wish hardware vendors provide source code for the drivers.. the world would be a better place.. :D

¿do you think an android device based on A31 instead of Rk3188 should be easier to handle?  i mean, your script should work only changing the source kernel repository from linux sunxi to the a31 branch, and, of course i would have to find the proper kernel modules to ethernet , wifi etc to make them work, but linux should start easily, i am wrong?

Maybe its more dificult than i can imagine rigth now.. i am too noob

Are you thinking on mayor changes for a 1.4 version of your distro? i think it is perfect, i dont know how can be improved, really.

slovenia

Quotei buyed a raspi a log time ago and 1080p didnt play smooth :(, maybe i should have overclocked.. or maybe the software for the has improved..

I am using openelec.tv for RPi, latest version. The only limitation without overclocking is watching 1080p iptv and a bit slower handling.

Quotehow can be that the cubietruck plays videos worst having a hardware so much better?  are the mali drivers going to get better ?    i wish hardware vendors provide source code for the drivers.. the world would be a better place.. :D

Software side - drivers, firmware. Oh. Yes  :P

¿do you think an android device based on A31 instead of Rk3188 should be easier to handle?  i mean, your script should work only changing the source kernel repository from linux sunxi to the a31 branch, and, of course i would have to find the proper kernel modules to ethernet , wifi etc to make them work, but linux should start easily, i am wrong?

The script can be adopted for other hardware. A31 and A20 have more in common than RK3188. And A31 is also so so supported even they released SDK. I am using one A31 based tablet and had waited months to get a stable ROM for it. I did not wanted to do it on my own in that case.

Maybe its more dificult than i can imagine rigth now.. i am too noob

Yes, it could be frustrating. To learn more about system - branded Intel / AMD PCs or even Raspberry PI is a better start. To avoid potential dead ends.

Are you thinking on mayor changes for a 1.4 version of your distro? i think it is perfect, i dont know how can be improved, really.

- Wireless is not working with encryption in Access Point mode. I would like to use CT as aditional AP in my wireless network and probably not the only one with that wish.
- Bluetooth. Fine if but not urgent to work.
- fixed a bug that was not discovered yet ;D

Basically updated / new kernel. Not much.

patwood

Quote from: arrhenius on January 07, 2014, 05:45:48 am
how can be that the cubietruck plays videos worst having a hardware so much better?  are the mali drivers going to get better ?    i wish hardware vendors provide source code for the drivers.. the world would be a better place.. :D

Mali won't fix it.  The HW video decoder is called "cedar" and it works on the A10/A20, but up until recently, it  was only available in vlc and xmbc on the linux side, and only in full screen.  There's a reverse engineering project to create an open cedar library, and an mplayer that uses it.  Last time I checked, the number of video formats supported was limited.  For now, there's nothing that'll handle high-res youtube videos on X, but that'll change over the next few months -- cedar didn't work properly on A20 until around August.

pollux

Well well, you are doing a fine work and I am glad I found this thread and your image, Slovenia.
Because of that, I am giving the ct another try, I was almost ready to give up.

The Lubuntu standard images, especially V 1.00 and partly V1.01 are frustratingly buggy and are badly maintained or documented imho, changing MACs, wildly blinking, sun-bright LEDs, bcmdhd as modprobe, hardware acceleration, mali drivers, everything is so time consuming compared to a more common product like Rpi.

I would like to know what you want to do with your ct, once you are done with the server image.

arrhenius

Quote from: patwood on January 07, 2014, 11:08:22 am

Mali won't fix it.  The HW video decoder is called "cedar" and it works on the A10/A20, but up until recently, it  was only available in vlc and xmbc on the linux side, and only in full screen.  There's a reverse engineering project to create an open cedar library, and an mplayer that uses it.  Last time I checked, the number of video formats supported was limited.  For now, there's nothing that'll handle high-res youtube videos on X, but that'll change over the next few months -- cedar didn't work properly on A20 until around August.

Thanks for the info, its good to know you expect improvements in the next months :D

where is located the project? i would like to learn more and be up to date about their achievements

slovenia

January 07, 2014, 01:48:30 pm #58 Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:59:42 pm by slovenia
Quote from: pollux on January 07, 2014, 11:27:08 am
I would like to know what you want to do with your ct, once you are done with the server image.

Well. I am already running a test system with Postfix(SMTP) and Dovecot(IMAP) service. I am collecting email from various accounts. Mail is being sorted to folders, checked for spam (Spamassasin) and viruses (ClamAV). For my familly / small business usage. Currently two testing imap users. Imap is running at least as fast or faster (by feeling - not measured) as Gmail with less limitations. Second service is TVheadend (IPTV) with custum XMLTV grabber for watching and recording TV broadcast. Than Transmission(torrent) and Samba file sharing. I am using 3T Sata drive just for data and it's mainly offline. There is also web service (Apache2) for blog and some applications with MySQL/PHP5.

I am planning to add CUPS (printer server) and USB port sharing to connect a HD Webcam to Windows machine trough Cubie USB ... and WiFi Access Point when it will work. I am also thinking to replace it with a router. In that case I'll need to find one fiber to USB (or at least ethernet to USB) and a one gigabit switch since I don't have gigabit router/switch yet.

The last thing. I want to put it into a (nice) wallmount box :)

From my distro there was no errors installing all this. My first touch with CT was also Lubuntu image. The only one for CT at that time and it was also pretty bad experience. I was trying to install various services just to see how fast the hardware is. But there were/are bugs everywhere :) 

patwood

Quote from: arrhenius on January 07, 2014, 11:57:41 am
Quote from: patwood on January 07, 2014, 11:08:22 am

Thanks for the info, its good to know you expect improvements in the next months :D

where is located the project? i would like to learn more and be up to date about their achievements

http://linux-sunxi.org/CedarX
http://linux-sunxi.org/CedarX/JPEG-MJPEG_Decoding
http://linux-sunxi.org/CedarX/Reverse_Engineering
http://linux-sunxi.org/CedarX/RE_Toolkit
https://github.com/jemk/cedrus