November 14, 2019, 06:40:48 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

4-port ethernet?

Started by rgmhtt, December 22, 2013, 07:55:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rgmhtt

Is it possible to add 4 ethernet ports via one of the development boards?  And have them recognized by Fedora?

I want to make a few router/firewalls and I need 1 WAN and 4 LAN ports (and those LAN ports will be VLANed to boot).

Of course it the option is more than 4 ports, I will take it!

patwood

The only way you'll get 4 more ethernet ports is with a USB hub and 4 ethernet dongles.  The A10 has one built-in ethernet port, and the A20 has two (but the second isn't brought out to the headers).

rgmhtt

That is a bummer.  It would seem that the developers board could be used to place some ethernet chips and rj45 jacks.

Meanwhile, what would it take to add an rj45 jack for that second ethernet on the A20?  Perhaps, again on the developers board?  Even 2 ethernets make it interesting for a firewall.

patwood

Not sure.  The EMAC lines are duplicated on PH08 through PH27,  but these don't appear to be brought out to any header.

kingneutron

--If you're going for a firewall, try the Cubietruck. It has (1) builtin Gigabit ethernet port, and you can add a 2nd Gig ethernet via the USB2 port. Any more than that and your overall bandwidth will probably start to suffer, as the processor will be the bottleneck (along with the USB2 comms overhead.)

--If you really want 4-port ethernet AND high network speed, I would recommend you consult your local motherboard-expert and obtain something inexpensive that you can populate with Gigabit PCIe cards.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pcie%20gigabit%20nic&sprefix=pcie+giga%2Caps%2C271&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apcie%20gigabit%20nic

--The cheapest (built-in) 4xGig-ethernet motherboard that I found in ~10 min of Googling starts at about $210:

http://www.wiredzone.com/Supermicro-X9SCI-LN4F-Motherboard-f--Xeon-E3-1200-Core-i3~32025959~0.htm

--There are also other solutions which may not be as expensive as the 'truck (DD-WRT rooted router for instance) but likely not as versatile.

** Standard disclaimer, I have no affiliation with the above links/companies, this is just the result of searching the net for answers.

rgmhtt

For these applications, port speed is not an issue.  100Mb would be just fine.  Since I work in IEEE 802.1, ETSI NFV, and ONF, I am quite aware of what has to be done to maintain high speed switching between ports at bridging and routing layers.  I don't need that here.  And much of the overhead is in too many buffer moves as well....

The limit of USB is well known.  That is why I was hoping to find ethernet on a developers card for direct interface.  :)

I would settle for getting that 2nd ethernet mentioned to a proper RJ45 jack and configurable (In Fedora 20 please!).  Then I would add 3 USB 100Mb dongles, using one for the WAN side.

thanks

kraftb

Quote from: patwood on December 23, 2013, 10:00:22 am
Not sure.  The EMAC lines are duplicated on PH08 through PH27,  but these don't appear to be brought out to any header.

Is there some way to vote for the next version of cubietruck/cubieboard have the PortH lines required for an additional GMAC ethernet interface having been routed to some header.

Additionally it seems some of those lines have already been used for the EMAC. I didn't look deeply into it but if they are only used as GPIO lines for selecting the external PHY it would be better to use some lines not required by the second MAC (GMAC) controller.

Wladimir Mutel

I use Cubietruck & D-Link DIR-100 with VLAN switch firmware.
in this way I can multiplex my single LAN connection into 4 VLANs.
If I started from scratch now, I would use D-Link DGS-1100-05 or -08 (Gigabit VLAN switches) to multiplex CubieTruck Gigabit Ethernet. External VLAN switch is great because it uses standard Ethernet connector, not requiring any special GPIO/SPI interfaces.
USB 2.0 hub and USB 2.0 (HiSpeed only!) Ethernet adapters would go as fine, but I think their total price would be comparable to a VLAN Ethernet switch.

rgmhtt

I have LOTS of VLAN switches here.  They are older HP ProCurve 100Mb, a 2650 (a 'gift' from HP) and a couple 2524 (cheap on ebay).  I VLAN a lot here.  But what you are doing we call a 'one arm router'.  I want direct control of the interface(s) by the router/firewall.  I think I can do more that way.

premoboard

Quote from: rgmhtt on December 22, 2013, 07:55:45 pm
Is it possible to add 4 ethernet ports via one of the development boards?  And have them recognized by Fedora?

I want to make a few router/firewalls and I need 1 WAN and 4 LAN ports (and those LAN ports will be VLANed to boot).

Of course it the option is more than 4 ports, I will take it!

what about cubieboard plus 4 lan as in the picture?
see at www.premoboard.com and info@premoboard.com