Author Topic: Booting from microsd [cubietruck]  (Read 5245 times)

xplicit

Booting from microsd [cubietruck]
« on: November 28, 2013, 10:29:37 pm »
I'm looking to boot from microsd on my cubietruck. Specifically to boot raspbmc. I was under the assumption it would look at the microsd card first for boot order so I wrote the image to the sd card. After reading a bit it looks like I need to fdisk some partitions, load the cubie bootloader, then `dd` my os that I want to install. Is there an easy `how-to` for this? I'm at a bit of a loss, as it's not as easy as the pi is.

Offline patwood

• Linux geek
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Booting from microsd [cubietruck]
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 10:48:27 pm »
Start with an existing distro that images an entire SD card, something with a recent kernel, as you won't be able to use an R-Pi kernel on the cubieboard.  Then dd your root fs over the root fs on the SD.  Note that the video HW decoder and GPU are different on the cubieboard, so graphics and video are likely to either fail or fall back to software (read slow) modules.

You're better off starting with a cubieboard 2 XBMC distro and dropping a CT kernel on it; there are a couple on this site.

xplicit

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 11:18:11 pm »
Is there a known working lightweight xbmc distro for cubie? Do I still need to fdisk to make partitions or are there images that will write to the whole sd card w/o needing to create the partitions? Do I need the cubie bootloader? Further more, thanks for the quick reply!  :)

buz

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 04:41:31 am »
To my understanding there currently is no XBMC branch that has truly working hardware accelerated video decoding due to the lack of open drivers for CedarAV.

Offline patwood

• Linux geek
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 10:42:02 am »
Actually, most videos play fine with the cedarx library: http://linux-sunxi.org/CedarX/VideoRenderingChart, especially with the libhybris wrapper for the android libraries.  Caveats: only full-screen video works, and only with players specifically built to use the cedarx libraries (I know there are custom vlc and xbmc builds that do, don't know about any others).  So no HW video decode in browsers (e.g., youtube), no HW video inside any windows.

There's a libvdpau driver for the open-source Cedar library; however, it's still pretty experimental.  There's a thread here: http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,879.0.html about it.

xplicit

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 03:17:18 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up grabbing lubuntu sd image from the cubie site, and followed the how-to doc. Now I get to face other problems, but that's what I love about linux is it's always a learning curve! The newest issue is that the wireless module doesn't load on boot, so no matter how well my wpa supplicant is set up I have to manually do everything on boot. I'm sure I'll figure this out myself though.

Offline kingneutron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 07:42:47 pm »
> the wireless module doesn't load on boot, so no matter how well my wpa supplicant is set up I have to manually do everything on boot.

--FYI, put whatever you want to run on every boot in /etc/rc.local (at least on debian/ubuntu distros.) Similar to autoexec.bat on Dos/Windows.

--I think for redhat/centos, it would be /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Offline rose28357

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 05:32:31 am »
The newest issue is that the wireless module doesn't load on boot, ....
Did you add bcmdhd to "/etc/modules" ?
Code: [Select]
sudo nano /etc/modulesthen add bcmdhd at the end

Add below configuration to /etc/network/interfaces for cyclic check for interface
Code: [Select]
sudo nano /etc/network/interfacesadd at the end (if not already there)
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
and donĀ“t forget to reboot   :)